Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Swimming post ACL Surgery  (Read 3959 times)

Offline high_tower

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Swimming post ACL Surgery
« on: April 02, 2008, 01:43:24 PM »
I had an ACL reconstruction on the 25th of March. I'm now getting about 'comfortably' and the brusing seems to have hit its peak.

I'm wondering when is a fair time to go swimming? i'm not expecting to be using my leg to power myself more drag my leg and just relax in the water.

my wound has healed pretty well but still has the staples. should i wait till the staples are out before entering the pool or am i ok now?

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: Swimming post ACL Surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 02:54:39 PM »
I would put a call into the os before doing anything.  I know that my os would not have allowed swimming while staples are still in place and the wound isn't completely healed.  Give them a quick call, my opinion.  Eagle

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 04:08:45 PM »
Do not go into the pool until your OS says it's okay. You do not want to take this advice from the internet. Your staples are going to need to come out and your wound will need to be completely healed before you can go into the pool. My OS knew I was a swimmer and he was adamant that I not go into the pool until after he saw me and HE determined that it was safe. He would never let me in until I had a nice, smooth scar.

Offline slaine

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 04:20:24 PM »
Hi,
I'm using swimming to keep my fitness up as it seems to be the only thing that doesn't agravate my knee, but sticking to front crawl only.
My Physio was adamant that I was not to swim till my wounds from surgery were totally healed.The last thing you need is to pick up an infection.
I think it was about 3-4 months after my operation before I started though.
Good luck.

Sean.

Offline high_tower

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 04:46:46 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I would phone the OS but that isn't an easy thing to do here in the UK. I only really get contact with the physiotherapist only now.

I tried to get a hold of the OS prior to the operation and it was damn near impossible, even considering i work in the same hospital!

the National Health Service has a very segregated feel to it and unless my OS needs to see me I dont really get the chance to make contact. Its very odd.

again thanks for letting me know. I guess i'll wait till it's totally healed, an infection would be terrible. Again thank you all.

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 06:05:11 AM »
Hey High Tower

I have had my ACL done here in the uk and i work in a swimming pool.  I did not have staples - just internal stitches and was able to get in the water at about 3 weeks.  I was not allowed to do breaststroke until 12 weeks and therefore had that much time off work because i could not go back until i could perform a recue if it was needed.  Don't rush it and if you can't talk to your surgeon your physio should be able to give you advice.  I know mine did.

Good luck!
remidial meniscemtomy 1994
scope and tidy up july 2006
acl reconstruction and microfractures oct 2006 (failed on both counts)
oats june 2008 - very successful
acl revision patella tendon - oct 09

Offline high_tower

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 07:34:04 PM »
Cheers lis,

Saw my physio today they said i can go back in the pool once the wound is healed completely. Buggar! I'm getting chubbier by the day.

anyone got any exercise ideas for when your stuck at home on your ass for the next few weeks?

support