Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Arthritis and exercise  (Read 5433 times)

Offline boldlygoes

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Arthritis and exercise
« on: April 02, 2008, 07:45:31 AM »
Should I start to exercise, thats my question. -- I have arthritis in both knees and suffered with severe pain mainly in my left knee. I had a DUROLANE injection a week ago and for the first time in ages I am pain free. I should try to exercise my legs to build up the muscle strength but I am worried, that if I do, , the pain will return and any benefit I have from the injection will be lost. Any advise would be appreciated.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Arthritis and exercise
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 08:43:57 AM »
Swimming and biking is good. Though take things slow and especially if you aren't use to exercise.
Better start off with a little amount several times a week and when that feels good do more.
Let the injection kick in first and be very careful.
Some visits to a PT could help you out if you don't know where to start. Maybe your doc could get you a referal.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline mnanc

• Regular Poster
  • tkr 12/17/08
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 10:45:10 AM »
both of my knees have been arthritic for years. after my arthroscopies i was only allowed straight chain exercises, first without weights and once i gained strength we added ankle weights. basically, the exercises consisted of straight leg lifts. pretty tedious, but they helped a lot.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 04:37:15 PM »
The pain is going to return at some point no matter what you do. The best thing you can do for your knees is keep them strong and mobile forever. The best way to do that is by swimming or biking.

support