Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: having the screws removed  (Read 1021 times)

Offline kscarpetta

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • "Penfold Shush!"
having the screws removed
« on: March 27, 2008, 06:20:39 PM »
Hi all,

I am having the screws from my patella realignment surgery taken out next week. Can anyone tell me what to expect, as I have no idea.

Thank you!  :)

brianne

Re: having the screws removed
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 06:27:58 PM »
I just had my screws removed from my TTT on Monday.  Its not bad at all.  I had a local and watched the whole thing.  There is some soreness for a few days and such, but overall its not bad.  I walked out of the hospital about 45 minutes after they removed my screws. 

Compared with the patella realignment surgery, this is a piece of cake!

Brianne

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 07:43:45 PM »
Brianne is right, the screw removal is a piece of cake compared to the realignments!  I had my screws removed from both of my TTTs at the same time.  Was in an out of the OR in very little time. 

I had a spinal anesthetic for surgery because I had to have a debridement on my left tibial tubercle because for some reason, a piece of bone kind of healed funny and was causing me some issues.  Other than that, I wouldn't see much the need of anything stronger than the local.  Totally up to your surgeon and you in the end. :)

I was on crutches for a few days after surgery, just because of the extra work that was done, and having both knees done at once had me hurting pretty good.  The crutches allowed me to take some weight off my knees while walking.  Only took prescription meds afterwards for maybe 2 days post op. 

I was feeling well enough to have gone on a road trip two days post op.  I had an orchestra competition that I needed to be there for and had no troubles during the day.

Best of luck to you!!
~Mandy
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline kscarpetta

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • "Penfold Shush!"
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 10:10:45 PM »
Thank you both for your comments. I am having general anesthetic, partly because I cannot cope with local and partly because my surgeon said so! I am having both knees done at the same time.

Last patella realignment was only 9 months ago which I know is a bit soon but the screws are causing so much pain that I want them out!

Other than crutches is there anything else I should expect i.e not going up stairs, changing any dressings etc? ???

Thank you again! :)

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
hey again!

you'll have to talk to your OS about what he/she wants you to do.  i wasn't limited on much for everyday things.  i was just told to play it by ear and don't do anything stupid. 

i think i changed my dressings about a day post op.  here's a link to my pics from my screw removal:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157601133622010/

let me know if you have any other questions!
~Mandy :)
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

brianne

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 01:03:19 AM »
You will probably not need crutches.  Most people never need crutches after a screw removal.  As far as dressings go, I had dressings that I removed the next day and I now just have steristrips over my incisions.  I am having a hard time on stairs but that is because my other leg is only 7 weeks PO from a TTT revision and MPFL reconstruction. 

9 months is a good amount of time to leave the screws in.  I had my screws removed on Monday at 3 months after my TTT.  Of course my screw removal is because I was having major issues with my screws.

Everything should go just fine for you.

Brianne

Offline kscarpetta

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • "Penfold Shush!"
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 06:07:56 PM »
Thank you both so much. It really helps having others to talk to about this.  :D

Offline Steve_K

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 04:43:26 PM »
Hi K-

If you've not had 'em out yet, here's my version:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=22915.msg167917#msg167917

You'll do great!

Hi to Lucy and Marino!

Steve
8-04 RtK ACL Recon & Menisectomy, LK scope, patella shaving
1-05 LK synvisc & patella bracing
4-8-05 LK LR, VMO Advance, TTT
1-4-06 Screw removal
6-5-07 LK Arthroscopic chondroplasty, synovectomy
4-2013 RK oblique medial meniscus tear, ganglion cyst, baker's cyst - arthroscopy
11-19 staged bilat TKR

support