Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Crutches..  (Read 1357 times)

Offline arber

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Crutches..
« on: April 01, 2008, 01:56:11 PM »
Hello

My name is Arber Shabani and I am on my final year studying Digital Modelling in Hertfordshire University. I recently broke my foot and had to use crutches for 7 weeks, although it was for temporary use, during the last weeks of using the crutches my palms started to hurt from the pressure. Even though there were many other problems with the crutches I fount this to be the most irritating problem as I would have to stop walking and massage my palms to relive the pain. This is when I decided that for my final project I would re-design crutches for patients with leg injuries. 
I am at the point of collecting research for my project and I would like to ask someone with medical experience a few questions.
What would you say are the main disadvantages with existing crutches?
What are the main injuries that result in the patient having to use crutches?
What part of the body or leg do these injuries affect?
What injuries would result in the patient needing crutches permanently?
Finally could you please give me some information on how I can gather extended research on this issue such as books, internet sites etc.

Thank you

Arber Shabani

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Crutches..
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 03:56:37 PM »
hey Arbur

I am not a medical person but i can give you a little input that you would already know from using them about what the current problem is.  They hurt your hands!  I tried cycling gloves to alleviate this.  A simple spongy thing that you could buy would help, it could be that simple to make it easier for people who have to use them.  I myself will be 6 weeks no weight and possible another 6 partial later in the year and am already planning on trying to design something spongy that i can use because i know my hands are going to hurt.

Good luck with your research, its because of people like you who try to make it better for people that progression is made.

Lisa
remidial meniscemtomy 1994
scope and tidy up july 2006
acl reconstruction and microfractures oct 2006 (failed on both counts)
oats june 2008 - very successful
acl revision patella tendon - oct 09

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 04:28:19 PM »
Lisa, 

Try www.crutchbuddies.com or www.crutchcozies.com or www.brokenbeauties.com

I have a pair of crutch buddies and love them.

Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 04:55:05 PM »
Thanks Karen i will try that.

Can't say that i am looking forward to what is coming so if any of those will help thenk i am going for them!!

Gonna look now!!
Lisa

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 12:41:30 PM »
Hi
You won't find medical experts here.   However, I can suggest you go to a site called.  or-live   -  You can pull doctor's names and they may have email addresses or snail mail addresse.   You would want to go to the orthopedic section.  Thats a start or even try too find a PT with a MS degree to help you.

Offline mnanc

• Regular Poster
  • tkr 12/17/08
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 05:59:14 PM »
hi arber
i don't think they've been redesigned since i used them nearly 30 years ago. i developed welts on the either side of my torso, under my arms, where the crutches rubbed up against my body. it would be great if something could be done to address that problem!

Offline fuzzybob

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 12:20:31 PM »
Hi,

I'm no medical expert either! But I have used crutches several times and yes my hands suffered each time and yes became more of a pain and nuisance than my actual leg injuries! I too used cycling or gym gloves. Another tip is to wrap 'squash handle tape' round the handles. This helps too.

I had HTO surgery on March 12th. I am currently NWB for at least 6 weeks and upto another 6 weeks building to FWB, I have been given crutches again to use, but this time they have moulded rubber handles. A godsend!! They are brilliant. I don't think I could go back to using the other type.

Very comfortable, spongy, no hand sores or pain experienced. I'm in the UK and on the NHS....so there are crutches redesigned to alleviate this problem. May be this model is new as I have never seen this type before...so there is hope!!

I have to have a PLC reconstruction later on and I will certainly be asking for moulded rubber handled crutches!!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 12:22:50 PM by fuzzybob »
09/06 bad hamstring tear/undiagnosed knee injury
03/07 >6 months PT.OS referral
05/07 OS#1 diag. old age
07/07 OS#2 scope/EUA. Diag.LCL/PLC/ACL laxity, Grade3 medial femoral condyle damage, medial meniscus displaced
12/03/08 HTO,TPFx in surgery!
04/09 hardware out scope/EUA.PLCr not needed
ACI?

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 12:26:07 PM »
hi fuzzybob

I am in the uk too and will have the same protocol as you have now - 6 and 6 wks so i had better hope that they are the sort of crutches i get given.  Mine is being done through BUPA though.  The surgery i am having isn't yet available in this area on the NHS, and there is only one surgeon in my area who does it.  Those crutches sound better though!!

Hope your recovery goes well.

Lisa

support