Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: hinged v fixed knee brace  (Read 1435 times)

Offline xrosx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
hinged v fixed knee brace
« on: April 01, 2008, 07:25:00 AM »
Hi, new to the board since tearing my ACL & possible MCL 2 weeks ago whilst skiing!

Was given a fixed knee brace in the French resort and am no nearer to a proper diagnosis following return to the UK. I have to wait for a MRI scan which could take 3-4 weeks but feel if I could at least bend my knee I could get around a lot better and even get back to work.

Have seen a physio but she won't do a lot with me until I have had my scan and I'm finding it all very frustrating! I did ask for a hinged brace but she just said I have to wait until after my scan.

So basically... what is the rationale for fixed over hinged and is there any reason I can't just buy 1 until I get my scan? I can weight bear well and have fairly good ROM with very little pain. My knee feels stable although I am very careful on it and wear the brace most of the time.

Thanks, Ros

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: hinged v fixed knee brace
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 12:31:15 PM »
Hi Ros ~ Sorry to hear about your injury but the question of braces - whether they're effective or not - is an ongoing debate. I'm sure you'll hear a number of theories from forum members.

I was given a hinged brace to wear for support about 2 weeks post injury. At the time of my accident I used neither crutches, cane, brace or anything. So in retrospect I'm glad not to have been confined by something that immobilized my leg. By being cautious I was able to continue moving & maintaining decent muscle tone.

My knee was quite unstabile initially so I appreciated having the brace when I was doing something that I felt might jeopardize my knee. By the same token I didn't want it to interfere with my ability to keep going & doing. It's unfortunate you have to wait so long for your MRI.

I don't know what you have available to you for braces but I found nothing that was available OTC was worth the money I would have to put into one. There are companies that sell braces but again do you want to invest to be told by your doctor, after your MRI, that you're not to use it? Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline SBUR

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 12:39:52 PM »
Hi there

I dislocated my Pattela and tore my MCL. I had a fixed brace for about 3 weeks. Then after that i could hobble about but it was still very sore. I bought myself a hinged brace and it helped so much. Took alot of the strain off my knee and made getting about so much easier.

I would say as long as most of the swelling has gone down and you don't use it all the time it can really help just to get you were you need to go.

Hope that this helps

Offline xrosx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 05:27:45 PM »
Thanks  :)

I guess I'll just have to be more patient - reading through the forums I may be in for a long stretch!

support