Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Brusing is spreading ...  (Read 8739 times)

Offline mmurphy676

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Brusing is spreading ...
« on: March 31, 2008, 12:43:44 AM »
OK so need to know what I'm dealing with here.

My boyfriend was at work a week ago ... he does tree work and a tree came down a little to close to him.  He said that he went to step back to get out of the way and heard his knee pop (no the tree didnt hit him), hes not sure if he twisted it or fell over something (hes pretty sure he didnt hit anything though and it was pretty muddy outside) said the pain was horrible but yet refused to go to the hospital.

When he came home that night from work his knee was HUGE (bigger than a cantelope) and had small brusing ... we iced it down, gave him some pain killers and anti inflamitories and nursed it for the next few days.

Today hes still limping around (yes I know knee injuries can be painful Ive had a few myself) and the brusing has now spread from the front of his knee to the left of his knee (almost to the back of it) and all the way down his leg.

Any ideas on what could cause this?  I keep telling him that he tore something but he refuses to listen.  Short of me knocking him out and driving to the hospital I'm not sure what else can be done and why the brusing is like this.  Like Ive said I have had a few knee injuries myself but I have never seen a bruise spread like this.  The bruise at his knee seems to be healing but every day I see some knew bruises on his leg.  I touch them and he says it doesnt hurt which tells me internal bleeding .....

Anyone have thoughts on this?! 
Thank you for your help!

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Bedas Atelier
Re: Brusing is spreading ...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 04:52:12 AM »
Hi! This does not sound like ordinary bruising. he needs to go to the doctor or the ER, depending where you are in the world. If your in the US, then its the ER, If your in England it would have to be your GP as Casualty dept. only take wounds of up to 24 hours old. This does sound like an exteeem reaction, and I wouldnt waste time any more and get it seen to.
Hope everything goes well for you
Beda
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'84 osteochondritis dissecans
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
all TKR's loosened & failed
2008 wait for Final arthrodesis
constant pain

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 01:13:26 PM »

Today hes still limping around (yes I know knee injuries can be painful Ive had a few myself) and the brusing has now spread from the front of his knee to the left of his knee (almost to the back of it) and all the way down his leg.

Any ideas on what could cause this? 

Yes, gravity causes this. If you get bruising and swelling in your knee it has to go somewhere. If you're not keeping your leg elevated then it goes down your leg. Eventually it will make its way to his ankle. Your boyfriend has done serious damage to his knee. The longer he pretends it's not there the worse it will get. If he doesn't take care of it soon he's on his way to being out of work for a very long time.

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 02:19:35 PM »
I tend to agree - he needs to be seen by a medical professional.  This entire web site is full of those of us who thought we knew better and didn't!  None of us wants to alarm you but in my opinion I certainly wouldn't wait any longer to be seen.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 03:36:17 PM »
my goodness, knee the size of a cantaloupe, bruising that is extenisve......tell him to go to a doctor and get out of denial!!!
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

dileigh

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 07:24:30 PM »
He most definitely needs to go now. 

If for no other reason, worker's comp will not cover anything unless he does.  That means if there are problems down the road, he will be responsible for all of the medical bills, etc. He may have waited too long already.  Has he reported this to his employer?  The longer he waits, the more likely they won't believe it happened at work. Too many people out there trying to rip off the system.

As if you can't tell, I have to deal with this stuff at work all of the time.  But he really does need to go see someone. 

Diana

Offline mmurphy676

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 11:20:23 AM »
TY everyone ... after some poking and proding I finally got him to go ... they did an xray and fortunatley its not as bad as we thought ... the docotor said that he pulled some ligament away from the muscle and it will take about 6-8 weeks to heal but it is not extensive enough that he needs surgery ..... also the brusing is caused by a broken blood vessel and like jathib said it needs to go somewhere ... so for now he just hobbles around the house cuase hes too proud to use m crutches lol ... why do men have to be so difficult ... have a good day everybody

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 12:58:27 PM »
Did he see an orthopedic surgeon? X-rays are useless for diagnosing most of the things that happen in a knee, so having one that is negative means nothing other than he doesn't have a broken bone. Family doctors are also not always that good at diagnosing knee problems. The fact that he said "he pulled some ligament away from the muscle" is a little scary. Ligaments attach bones to other bones, not muscles. He needs an MRI to really see what is going on.

Offline mmurphy676

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 12:39:08 AM »
Im taking him to my orthopedic doctor ... and forgive me if I said muscle 12 hrs a day at work right now sucks lol ... its not the muscle - I keep thinking that cause its what my boyfriend says  ... next week I should have more info - I already talked to my doc though and hes getting copies of all the med records from our visit to the er and hopefully will be able to fit him in next week .... so for now its ice, elevation and meds