Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: fellow ACL'rs...spare some wisdom?  (Read 839 times)

Offline Superfrog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
fellow ACL'rs...spare some wisdom?
« on: March 29, 2008, 09:25:40 PM »
hey everyone,

hope you don't mind a friendly canuck wading into the fray.  i just joined the forum today after browsing this forum for about a week, trying to get an idea of why my calf was hurting so much following my acl reconstruction (hamstring graft). 

the pain was intense and like many of you, i went to the hospital, fearing a blood clot.  was informed that there was no clot, but that the swelling/pain were likely the result of a hematoma.  its been about a week since my acl surgery, i still am not able to weight-bear on the repaired leg, the hamstring is still very tender, although the calf pain isn't as bad as it was before.  i'm wondering if anyone can offer me advice as to what types of physio exercises i should be engaging in, given that my surgeon informed me not to see a PT until we had my post-op (next thursday).  i think waiting 2 weeks for a post-op follow-up is a bit long, but am willing to wait, provided my knee is actually getting better in the interim.  i don't want to injure anything by pushing it too hard or make the hematoma worse (if thats possible), but i also want to do something about the leg rather than just ice and elevation.  can someone out there offer me some advice as to whether or not i should be doing any exercises, and if so, what?

MANY THANKS!

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: fellow ACL'rs...spare some wisdom?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 10:48:49 PM »
Calf pain is pretty common after knee surgery. Since you've ruled out a clot you don't need to worry about it too much. It will go away on its own. Remember, all the fluid, blood, etc. that was in your knee after surgery is going to head down your leg due to gravity. Don't be surprised if your ankle becomes swollen and bruised. This is all part of the healing process.

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 06:53:11 PM »
You should be doing ankle pumps and quad sets meaning you tense your quad while it is flat and try to push the back of the knee down into the mattress or floor whatever. You are still early days so there isn't much you can do. I imagine you will be going to PT very soon and they will get you on a stationary bike the first day probably just rocking the pedals. From there it will be lots of stretching then the 4 directional straight leg raises (fun!) From there, it is onto weights and then agility training. There are many posts or ACL rehab protocol. You can check out my detailed diary if you want a lot of good day to day what to expect kind of things.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=26245.0
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 06:55:23 PM by celinenj03 »
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline Superfrog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 07:10:19 PM »
great, thanks for the helpful comments!  celinenj03, i've already started reading your posts...i will definitely let the pain be my guide!

support