Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Torn ACL and arthritis  (Read 1062 times)

Offline john-doe-0007

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Torn ACL and arthritis
« on: March 29, 2008, 06:20:16 PM »
I had a knee hurt about 6-7 years ago, the doc then said it was a partial torn acl, i didnt want to go under the knife so i started PT.

just a couple of weeks ago i had an mri done and found out that i had a complete torn acl, but heres where it gets interesting
my knee doesnt hurt! i play basketball and sometimes other sports and my knee doest hurt as much as i am told it should be with a torn acl.

i did make my legs really strong after the first doc told me it was a partial torn acl.

anyone have any ideas why i am not in a lot of pain? also i have advanced arthritis in the same knee but no pain.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Torn ACL and arthritis
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 06:25:10 PM »
hi John

I didnt have an acl from the age of 18 - and like you built up the supporting muscles and subsequently didnt need it repaired - hmmm not that they did that sort of thing all those years ago lol
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 10:52:25 PM »
While ACL tears are pretty painful when they happen, the pain often goes away within a few days. I got up and walked home after I tore my ACL and was back to playing volleyball in a couple weeks. Unfortunately, I finished off my knee and ended up having my ACL removed. I walked around for 17 years without an ACL. The result was a torn meniscus which was a far worse injury in the end.

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 04:54:25 PM »
I have to agree with jathib about the initial ACL injury being extremely painful but thereafter unless your knee buckles, the ACL doesn't seem to even enter the picture. With me it's the meniscal tears that are annoying as well as some minimal "degenerative changes."...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 06:48:05 PM »
If the joint is stable and you can do sports without the knee buckling that is  very good! I read you are trying to lose weight and that is good also. Keep building up the muscle and don't worry about the osteoarthritis. Some people have it and it is asymptomatic, meaning you don't even feel it. I have some and my joint clicks, very annoying but it doesn't hurt. There are people out there with no ACL and they don't even know it. I have a friend who was born without ACL's she was okay with some minor knee pains here and there. The docs talked her into reconstruction (or construction in her case) and now she is in real pain and wears a brace all the time. If you don't have to get the surgery meaning you have no pain or symptoms and you have stability, perhaps you can wait and just keep the knee strong. Try not to worry. I understand you are young but there are a lot worse things that could be wrong with you so thank God.
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

support