Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Anyone do Synvisc/Hyalgen twice when first didn't take?  (Read 5095 times)

Offline hollie9

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Anyone do Synvisc/Hyalgen twice when first didn't take?
« on: April 29, 2008, 10:45:09 PM »
Has anyone had one brand of these type injections that failed, then tried another brand and succeeded?

I was given a 3 shot series of Synvisc that did nothing.  Now since my OS seems at a loss for something else to try, he's suggesting trying this again with another brand.

I asked, "aren't my knees just too arthritic with spots of bone to bone so that the liquid just doesn't stay in place but goes down the bone to bone holes?"

He said it has nothing to do with arthritis, the fluid just went into my tissues all over my body and disappeard.

I have nothing against these shots, but hate to waste time and money if this is a foolish undertaking.

So I sure hope somebody has been through this or knows more than I do, what happens to this thick liquid when it doesn't work.

Thanks,

Hollie

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: Anyone do Synvisc/Hyalgen twice when first didn't take?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 11:49:06 PM »
hyalgen/Supartz  are higher density and they can give you more injections as a treatment.   If it hurts mid six months.. I get a nice cortizone shot.   This was my left knee. Going on third treatment with Supartz

Right knee different story..  Tried orthovisc..  Didnt work.. knee was shot to hell.  took a bit of mind numbing pain again... .. leg was still crap..  Had TKR and never been better.

Offline hollie9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 06:50:36 AM »
I'm wondering if the Synvisc didn't take due to the great amount of swelling I've had in my knees.  The pamphlet says surgeon should drain all fluid out of the knee before the shots....which my OS did, but my swelling came back very fast and lots. 

I had 40 ccs drained from one knee less than 2 months from prior aspiration.

Anyone know if swelling/fluid could be the cause of "not taking"?

Hollie

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 01:45:52 PM »
Every study I have seen says the shots are pretty much worthless for knees that are totally trashed. I think it's a huge waste of money and wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 03:46:45 PM »
You should post the link that indicates these shots are worthless.   I see quiet a few users on the boards recently that have had excellent results.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 05:52:07 PM »
There are also quite a few people, including me, that got poor results. Seems about 50/50 near as I can tell. Less if your knee is bone on bone or if the first set of shots failed. One study I'm referring to was written by an OS (Dr. Kirschenbaum) that writes on WebMD. I'm not going to dig through it but it's in one of the archives of his blogs.

http://blogs.webmd.com/arthritis-and-joint-replacement/

Archives are on the bottom right. I don't remember which one.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek

Offline hollie9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 08:07:35 PM »
Just to balance results....I've known quite a few people who have had great result from these products.

Apparently I'm not one of them. 

I don't think my knee are totally trashed yet, I'm just wondering if the difference in result is from being bone to bone, or swelling in knee.

Hollie

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 06:29:29 PM »
I had 3 Supartz shots back in 2005 (all that were approved) and they did nothing. However, I just finished a 2nd round of 5 shots and was noticing an improvement afrter the 4th one until I tripped on a computer wire and twisted around to stop myself from falling. My knee's been hurting  since then, where I already have a small meniscus tear that was left alone at my October 2007 surgery. I go for a follow up in 4 weeks to see if I do get more improvement with the knee. As I said, I was doing better until I tripped--hoping this increased pain issue is temporary as my knee does have a good size bruise on it in addition to the tripping/twisting incident,  from the 5th shot. Maybe it's the bruise and injection spot that hurts???? Who knows. Hoping things will improve in any event.
Caroline
Chronic low platelet count
Men. surgery, both knees 2003,2007,2008
R PKR Sept. 17, 2008 - Biomet Oxford Partial
LK-TKR 4/21/2010 Biomet Vanguard Signature Knee
Scar tissue issue next to TKR knee
March 2, 2011: PKR to be revised to a TKR

Offline hollie9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 03:53:09 AM »
Thanks for the link.  This doc says it is the bone to bone that causes the Synvisc not to work.  I'd heard that before but my surgeon disagreed.

Caroline, do you have any areas that are bone to bone?

Hollie

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 01:47:12 PM »
Hollie, I do have 1 area that's bone on bone (medial). I also have areas in that knee (lateral) that are arthritic without the bone on bone. I did this second round of Supartz in hopes of delaying a PKR that I know I'm going to need in the future. My OS, when he saw the MRI of that knee back in September told me he'd send me over to the knee replacement guy in the practice when I was ready. It's my rheumatologist's office that just did the series of 5 shots. I wasn't bone on bone there when I had 3 SUpartz shots in 2005.
Going to read that article myself now.
Caroline
Chronic low platelet count
Men. surgery, both knees 2003,2007,2008
R PKR Sept. 17, 2008 - Biomet Oxford Partial
LK-TKR 4/21/2010 Biomet Vanguard Signature Knee
Scar tissue issue next to TKR knee
March 2, 2011: PKR to be revised to a TKR

support