Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: pain vs uncomfortable  (Read 2707 times)

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
pain vs uncomfortable
« on: March 28, 2008, 10:10:34 PM »
I know in the past something on this has gone around.  I'm just wondering how you all tell the difference.  I have no problem saying that I'm uncomfortable - but don't seem to be able to say I'm in pain!  I know its just a mind game I play with myself, I guess!  I'll even go so far as to say I'm very uncomfortable, but not that I'm in a lot of pain.

So anyone else have that as an issue?  My os wants me to number my pain - well, uncomfortable is hard to number!

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: pain vs uncomfortable
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 10:27:46 PM »
2-4 able to chug along and have moments of ..  saying oh .. when will this stop

5-7 -  Sure I am in pain but is this the worse pain I ever had??   No.. but it sure feels like  I shouldnt have to tolerate this kind of pain

8-10 - put a fork in me I am done. but I think I can take the pain if I had too... Wait why am I waiting to see if I can endure any more pain. Where is that darn ice.   

10 and above is post surgical ..  give me morphine anything to dull this..   oh gawd oh gawd.   why cant i pass out.

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 10:29:31 PM »
Thx - it seems on a daily basis then I'm a 5 -7!  Lets see pre surgery I was the same, hummm whats wrong with this picture! 

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 10:37:45 PM »
2-4 pain lidocaine patches and mobic

5-7 darvocet or ultram .. maybe loracet/vicodine

8-9 percocet  5mgs

10+  percocet 10 mgs plus morphine injections .. toradol with codine injection

your still healing.. It can take up to a year plus to have all the aches and pains to go away.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 10:39:47 PM by Plumb »

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 11:03:32 PM »
Plumb is that what you did get for pain ? Or have you got that from some doc ? Just curious.
Pain is so different..when one person says 9 another one says 2.
Think of the worst pain you ever have had and make everything from that.
Also what you need for pain is different..what works for one person doesn't work for another.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 04:10:30 AM »
Nettan I think you had a thread like this awhile back, maybe?  Anyway, I guess I'm not asking the question correctly here.  So, is there a difference between pain and discomfort?  I ask because I don't know the difference.  I'm really not trying to be stupid here.

Offline MoLu

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 04:13:11 AM »
Eaglemom-

I struggle with this concept myself.  I've been told by 4 doctors I need a new knee but I feel I need to be in horrible pain before I have it done.  It's swollen and uncomfortable all the time.  Some pain when walking but when I read other posts on arthritis they say how painful it is.  Dr says I don't have to be in excruciating pain before I do it.  Says that is the old way of thinking.  I go round and round on this issue.  I sometimes feel like I'm learning to live with the pain and maybe I shouldn't do that.  TKR's are so successful.  I've also had my share of operations and know how hard rehab can be.  One of these nights I'm going to sit down and make a list of pros and cons and see which side wins out.

So I feel your pain or maybe  not or sort of!
Molu
Synovial Chondromatosis
9/16/05 Frontal synovectomy and tumor removal
10/26/05 Posterior open knee surgery and synovectomy with tumor removal
3/8/06 Disease is back
4/26/06 Frontal arthoscopic synovectomy and posterior open knee synovectomy
6/23/06 Disease is back
7/24/07 Synvisc
10/23/08 TKR

brianne

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 03:33:42 PM »
Are far as pain vs uncomfortable goes, its hard to tell.  As Nettan said, what is a 9 for one person might be a 2 for another person.  I always think of pain as more of a "warning sign" to stop doing something.  If I have pain then my body is saying something is wrong and I should stop.  I think of uncomfortable as more of an ache that is not troublesome.  Like right now, my MPFL graft aches constantly...it feels very uncomfortable.  But I can tell that there is nothing wrong, so I have no concern.  My right tibia on the other hand hurts...I have a lot of pain.  I just got unscrewed on Monday and my tibia needs to finish healing. 

If I am uncomfortable I keep going and if I am in pain I stop.

Thats my take.

Offline mnanc

• Regular Poster
  • tkr 12/17/08
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 12:43:03 AM »
hi eaglemom

good question. sometimes it's not the intensity but rather the relentlessness that makes the difference. after my tkr the pain was bad, but i could have tolerated if it had just stopped once in a while, given me A BREAK for god's sake. but it didn't. the relentlessness of it destroyed me.

Offline rindsu

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 01:56:46 AM »
Good call mnanc, its the relentlessness of it.  Just one day without it would be swell.  My legs have been "unconfortable" since the accident.  Finally I asked for something for the pain.....sure I can handle being in pain but why should I?  It's gets unbearable at times.  It's relative though right, what would cripple one person is just annoying to another.   I have also noticed that it changes from hospital to hospital.  After I had my wrist fused, in recovery thay asked me my pain level and I said 9.  It really hurt.  Here after my surgery they asked the same thing, and I answered 7.  They told me in only goes to 5.  I was perplexed.
Who blows out both their knees at once?

Offline mnanc

• Regular Poster
  • tkr 12/17/08
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 12:25:43 PM »
you know what, it's the hospital and it's also the nurses. i had one nurse who ignored me as the pain escalated but another nurse (same TKR, different moment) responded quickly. when the pain didn't subside with the prescribed medication she called my doctor at home around 1 am. something similar happened after i left the hospital. the pain was intense, in part because i had fractured my foot and didn't know it. i thought i was supposed to "bear it" but my mother didn't. after yet another bad night i heard this 80 year old woman on the phone whispering to my doctor that he had to do something because i was suffering. sometimes it's the responses of those around you that make all the difference.

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 06:50:08 PM »
Wow, great thread topic. I am definitely under the uncomfortable category. I think pain would be easier to deal with sometimes.
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 09:53:50 PM »
In the hospital I had the battery run out of my PCA and the nurses did not get me up and running for an hour after my knee replacement.  I had called my family and my dad called the doctors office with in 10 minutes my anthesia guy was up in my room.  The same guy who gave my spinal and he injected lidocaine into my epidural.  Thats pain off the scale pain.  The worse pain you ever had pain..  on the pain scale system can not even compare to anything .. when they try to benchmark that type of pain against  the chronic pain of OA or muscle pain. or even a collapsed joint.  or even a toothache pain ..   

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 10:26:44 PM »
Then imagine having that pain out of scale for months or even years..I had that..only epidural helped..once I had epidrual for a month in a row...
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 10:56:51 PM »
Everyone keeps asking me if my knee is painful and I keep saying "no, it just aches".  For me the difference between pain and ache is "OUCH!!" versus "oh how annoying this is".  Hard to explain to people.  So I can relate to your question of pain vs uncomfortable.  Tough call.
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

support