Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Radiologist's Report  (Read 760 times)

Offline bigchuck19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Radiologist's Report
« on: March 27, 2008, 11:41:35 PM »
Good evening,

I hyperextended my knee about a month ago while hiking.  The stiffness and pain haven't subsided much since the injury.  The muscles around the knee also feel rather tight.  I just received an MRI report from my radiologist, but won't be able to discuss the results with my orthopaedist until Tuesday, so I'm hoping someone can possibly translate the findings of the radiologist's report.  I'll report the findings and impression in their entirety, but place in bold the portions that concern me.
---------------------
Findings: The anterior cruciate, posterior cruciate, medial collateral and lateral collateral ligaments are all intact.  There is a small focus of increased signal identified in the posterior horn of the medial meniscus without articular extension.  The lateral menisus is normal.  The quardiceps and patellar tendons are intact.  Normal marrow signal is noted from the bones comprising the knee joint.  The patella is normally positioned.

Impression: 
1.  No evidence of ligamentous injury.
2.  Mild myxoid degenerative changes identified in the posterior horns of the menisci.   Frank meniscal tear is not identified.
--------------------------------------------------------
The only conclusion which concerns me is the mention of "mild myxoid degenerative changes".  Is this possibly due to normal wear and tear of the knee, or is it more likely that the hyperextension of the knee would cause something like this?  I'm 28 and am relatively active, so I thought that the former could be a possibility.  Of course, I thought it could potentially mean that something serious is wrong with the knee, which is why I'm here! 

Thanks for your help!

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: Radiologist's Report
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 03:01:38 PM »
The Impression section is really the only thing that's important. Doesn't look like anything major going on with your knee. Degeneration happens to everyone over time. It's usually a slow process and probably not caused by your recent injury.

Offline moon

• Regular Poster
Re: Radiologist's Report
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 03:50:50 PM »
mild being the keyword here, that is always a good word, try not to worry till you see your dr. remember thats what you pay him for...his knowledge..his expertise(years of expensive schooling...lol) my son is 28 and has degenerative bla bla bla, anytime repitive use is there it can happen, he is a carpenter, lots of use and abuse, has the knees of an old man, some will dissagree about aging the knees, i agree, i feel my knees are that of a very old woman, my sons are that of a very old carpenter(his dad  LOL ) try not to worry, let the dr do that for you, moon
bilateral-uni,s  4/14/08

support