Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Diana's ACI and Fulkerson 3/24/08  (Read 17599 times)

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Diana's ACI and Fulkerson 3/24/08
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2008, 01:49:10 AM »
Diana,

Good news on losing the brace!  I sure hate mine!!  It took me a while to be able ditch my crutches because my quads were so wasted.  I hope that goes easier for you; make sure your gait is pretty decent before dropping the crutches.  I was limping a lot, and I wasn't really helping my knee much.  The best of luck to you!

Peg Leg
10/06  Miicrofracture Rt knee on mfc
defect was 1.3x2, small defect under patella
04/07 Arthroscopy/Cell harvest for Carticel
06/28/07 Carticel surgery ,Rt. Knee
12/27/07  Scope to debride Patella lesion,Rt. Knee
4/17/08  Fulkerson AMZ, Rt. Knee
6/25/09 ConforMis BiCompartmental Knee Replacement

dileigh

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2008, 02:36:02 AM »
Thanks, I noticed that, and am working on my gait.  It takes concentration.  I haven't really ditched the crutches yet, but I do walk better when I have them in place. I only took a few steps without it, but felt like Frankenstein walking.  Straight leg stagger.

I can put full weight on it walking, but I can't standing.  My who leg starts shaking. That is when I remember to put weight on it.  It's a habit to just stand on the one leg.

Diana

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2008, 02:47:36 PM »
I am jealous, I am still a slave to my crutches!!

If you have access to a pool, I recommend using it to work on walking without a gait.  One thing I have learned with all of these knee surgeries is that you'll subconsciously favor your bad leg.  Besides slowing down the rehab process, you'll also bring out some new issues-- like hip pain, etc.

John
L knee meniscal repair- 6/89
L knee scope- 11/95
L knee ACL reconstruction- 2/96
L knee scope (included a lateral release, cartilage biopsy, and the ever fun bone shaving)- 1/08
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08
L knee scope/manipulation- 7/08

Offline MegTX

• Forum Faithful
  • With my shield, or on it.
    • Personal Website
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2008, 06:59:38 PM »
I know what you mean about concentrating.  If I walk slowly and THINK about it, I can keep (mostly) from limping.  But if I quit thinking about it for a second, I start waddling and limping like I've got a wooden leg.  VERY frustrating, but I remind myself how far I've come.  I'm also trying to make myself put 1/2 of my weight on it when I'm standing, like you I've gotten in the habit of just putting my weight on the "good" leg and not any on the bad one when standing.  It's all re-learning!

Congrats on ditching the crutches!  I was never so glad as when I got to go to just a cane.  And now I don't use it unless I'm going out for a bunch of errands with a lot of walking, and that's mainly to keep that limp from getting stuck so hard in my muscle memory that I'll never get it out!!!

Keep up the good work!
Lateral Release, Medial "Reef" - '91
{16 years of grinding, pain, swelling and lots of ice}
'scope 7/07 - .7cm2 tibial plateau microfracture, 2.5cm2 grade4 patellar CP debridement
ACI & Fulkerson TTT 2/08 (patella lesion then 4.5cmx3cm)

dileigh

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2008, 12:24:28 AM »
Thanks for all of the good words, but the crutches aren't gone quite yet.  I just don't have to put hardly any weight on them. And I can stand on my own. The limp is really bad if I take any steps without the crutches.  I don't have a lot of quad atrophy since he's had me doing some exercises, but my calf atrophy is bad.  It doesn't like me today, but it's not a bad pain, just muscles complaining about being used again.

BTW Meg thanks for your descriptions of your bicycling in PT, I started out rocking back and forth and went backwards first.  I about jumped off the bike the first complete forward rotation for the pain, but it didn't last.  I managed my 20 minutes last night.  It's set for absolutely no resistance. 

The way he's going about this rehab, I don't think he'll ever give me a cane.  The way he said I could get rid of the crutches, I almost expected him to take them away, and I walk out of his office on my own.  I'm positive he won't be happy if I still have him at my next appointment in a month. 

But I'm happy with the progress so far.  I'm just so ready to be rid of the crutches.  I was actually hoping to get rid of them this weekend, but we'll see.

Diana

Offline MegTX

• Forum Faithful
    • Personal Website
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2008, 03:14:06 AM »
As far as your OS "taking away" your crutches... you paid for them.   ;)  And as for using a cane, that's not ultimately under his control, either.  He can advise you, but it's up to you.  My OS never said anything about a cane.  I asked my PT at the point they moved me to one crutch if I could use a cane instead.  And then when I went 100% weight bearing, I asked about continuing to use the cane because I was still limping so badly.  My PT's both said they'd rather I keep using the cane at least part time rather than develop an ingrained habit of limping -- for me to try to walk some around the house without it, but if I was walking a lot, to use it, because I wasn't limping if I could lean a bit on the cane.

I guess you had a much different surgery than I did, since you're not having PT yet.  I started PT as soon as my staples came out, and most of my directives about this stuff have come from my PTs who are in close contact with my OS, but they see me twice a week and have a much better idea about how I'm ambulating and managing than my OS.
'scope 7/07 - .7cm2 tibial plateau microfracture, 2.5cm2 grade4 patellar CP debridement

dileigh

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2008, 01:54:58 PM »
No,it's the same surgery, just the OS doesn't seem to want to send me to PT.  I'm not sure why.  When he took the staples out, he said at 6 weeks, and then this week when I asked if I was going to start PT now, he just said no, with no explanation. 

What he's giving me to do isn't much different from what you're doing in PT, but just not supervised. The PT's there know me and will answer questions.  I get that they don't know why he's not sending me either.  I do have a limited number of visits so maybe he's saving them for later.

Diana

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2008, 02:54:43 PM »
Diana,

My OS was not going to start PT with me until 6 weeks post-op either.  He told me that there is not much to do in PT until about 6 weeks out that you can't do at home.  He said that there was no sense in wasting PT visits on things you can do independently.  I ended up going to PT at 3 weeks post op b/c my OS thought that I was developing early adhesions in my knee and really I didn't do a whole lot in PT that I couldn't do at home except for my PT working on my ROM for me.  If you have a limited number of PT visits, you are definately going to be glad that you didn't waste them those first six weeks.  Glad to hear that you are getting close to being crutch free!!!
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline MegTX

• Forum Faithful
    • Personal Website
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2008, 05:02:55 PM »
It's so interesting to me how every OS has a different approach to rehab protocols.  Mine says that with the patellar ACI, it's critical to have the passive ROM worked very early... yes, all the SLR's and ankle stuff with the band I did the first month or so I could have easily done on my own, but I could have never done the passive ROM work on my own.  So that's mainly what I was in PT for.

Right now, I'm not sure what I'm there for other than for them to make sure I'm doing stuff right.  I do 20 min on the bike, adductor/abductor machine, ham curls on the machine, and they do patella mobs and a *little* passive ROM work.  That's pretty much all I'm doing at PT.  It's a bit frustrating at 13 weeks to be doing what I could be doing at a gym for $30 a month.  :-/  But, I keep telling myself that we're still having to protect the graft and they're making sure I don't hurt myself.

dileigh

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2008, 11:37:14 PM »

OK, now pretty much crutch free.  If I could find the cane we have in the house somewhere, I'd switch to it when my leg gets tired/sore.  One crutch works, but is kinda awkward.   

Can do the bike, but have an old problem- my butt can't stand being on the bike every night.  Talked to the PT and will try doing it from a chair behind the bike later tonight.  I actually get bruises from the pelvic bone.  Can't get a gel seat for my bike, it doesn't exist.  I tried that years ago.  One of the reasons the bike never got used much! :-\

So, life goes on.  Not much pain during the day, it starts late afternoon and builds for awhile, and is fine at night. If I could only quit baning it on my desk trying to prop it up ;D.  It feels better if I sleep on my right side with a pillow between my legs.  Still dealing with the stitch abcess, it wants to get infected, but peroxide and neosporin are working for the moment.  ROM increasing I think, I know I can do more than 90, but don't know how much it is.

I can move fast enough to chase the grandbaby when he races for the steps, but he is on the steps by the time I get there.  Did some laundry this week and even managed to get the laundry basket down the stairs.  Went out for dinner for Mother's Day.  So all in all, a pretty exciting week.  Life before surgery was work, eat, TV/computer and sleep.

Diana

dileigh

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2008, 03:40:54 AM »
Anyone still out there?  Not many post op posts going on ??? ???  Army John, have you made it to 90 yet?  Zoey?  Meg?

Almost 2 months post op right now, and doing OK.   I bought a crutch last weekend for when I have to walk any distances, or when it's tired and the limp is more pronounced. Couldn't find the one we had here.  My shoulder doesn't like it, I get crunching noises when I use it.  I have arthritis in both shoulders, so I assume that's what the noise is coming from.  My body started falling apart about 15 years ago....... I just keep adapting.

One of the women at work calls the cane my pimp stick  ;D

Still more of the bike.  I posted on Farrah's thread that I would like to be able to do the Susan G Komen 5K Walk at the beginning of October.  I've done it 4 of the last 6 years.  Had to pass last year because of the knee.  That's only about 4 months away- at the 6 month mark.  Anyone know if that is a reasonable goal?

Not much else happening.  Can't go to the races this weekend, the walk from the parking lots is too far, so we'll watch them on the tv.  Hoping to go to a movie or do something exciting this weekend.

Diana

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2008, 06:42:15 PM »
Hi Diana,

Glad to hear that you are doing well!  Congrats on pretty much getting rid of the crutches!!  As for doing the 5k in October, I think that is a very reasonable goal if you are dedicated to your rehab.  I'm 7 months right now and I could walk three miles.  I am now walking quickly and quite normally.  Keep plugging away at your rehab...the end result is SO worth it!
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

dileigh

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2008, 11:15:39 PM »

Thanks for the input Casey, the guys at work don't get it. they're like, you should be able to run that much by then! I'm working on the rehab, but as you know, it feels like it's going slowly.

Diana

dileigh

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2008, 04:41:11 PM »

So, for excitment last weekend, we went fishing! 8)  Hadn't gone in years, but it's something to do outside that I could do sitting down for the most part.  Going to one of the lakes was a bad choice because there were way too many boats and jet skis on the water, so we ended up a county park with a stocked pond.   My husband "the mighty hunter" caught 2 small bream and all I did was feed the fish with my bait, but it was fun.

Life is still the same, go to work, come home, ride the bike, etc. etc.  Upped the resistance again, but maybe too much since it's been hurting the last couple of days.   Not using the cane alot, unless I'm going to the store, don't even take it out of the car at work anymore.

Diana

dileigh

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2008, 12:59:37 AM »

OS appointment today, and all is going well.  He didn't see anything that indicated a problem, and actually got a suprised look on his face when he tested my ROM.  Didn't say anything about the extension this time, so I hope that means it's fine.  Didn't say anything about the ROM either for that matter, but I get the impression he wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was.

Drum roll ::::::: I finally get to go to PT!  I start next week.  I think he forgot he hasn't sent me yet because he asked me how PT was going. duh!  So, back in a month.   

He said doing the 5K in October shouldn't be a problem, but I definitely can't run.    Not a problem, don't run it anyways, although I would still like to some day.

Diana