Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Diana's ACI and Fulkerson 3/24/08  (Read 17598 times)

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Diana's ACI and Fulkerson 3/24/08
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 12:22:20 PM »
Diana-

Sounds like things are getting better for ya!! Keep a positive outlook.  My CPM rehab program is a little different than yours, I am assuming due to some of the differences in our surgeries.  I am 0-30 the first two weeks, then progress to 60 degrees and after two weeks, progress to 90 degrees. 

The Army put me on 30 days of convalescent leave.  I bore easily but between having a tv, a computer, and a comprehensive exam to study for, I seem to be able to keep myself occupied. 

Don't forget to work on your extension as well!!  Much more important than your flexion.  Flexion will come, extension is harder to get.
L knee meniscal repair- 6/89
L knee scope- 11/95
L knee ACL reconstruction- 2/96
L knee scope (included a lateral release, cartilage biopsy, and the ever fun bone shaving)- 1/08
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08
L knee scope/manipulation- 7/08

dileigh

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 05:10:18 PM »
I've seen extension problem on other threads, so I try to make sure that I extend it completely at least once a day to keep it at 0.

Wow not to 90 for 4 weeks?  I was told most people are off the machine in the 4-5 week range even though he ordered mine for 6 weeks. And this was from the CPM rep.

Yours was a larger lesion than mine though.

Diana

Offline djs60

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 05:40:23 PM »
When I had my TTO/patellofemoral ACI, I was not allowed to increase the ROM on the CPM machine beyond 40 degrees.  Beyond 40 degrees, you get much more stress on the patella.  I have noticed that different surgeons have different protocols with the amount of ROM allowed.  I was kept at 0 to 40 for the whole 6 weeks I used the CPM.

djs60
3/06 left knee arthroscopy - grade IV lateral trochlea defect
chondroplasy & removal of loose bodies
1/07 left knee arthroscopy/cartilage biopsy
4/27/07 left knee trochlea & patella ACI with TTO

Offline MegTX

• Forum Faithful
  • With my shield, or on it.
    • Personal Website
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 04:23:41 AM »
I've seen extension problem on other threads, so I try to make sure that I extend it completely at least once a day to keep it at 0.

Wow not to 90 for 4 weeks?  I was told most people are off the machine in the 4-5 week range even though he ordered mine for 6 weeks. And this was from the CPM rep.

Yours was a larger lesion than mine though.

Diana

For extension... my doc told me specifically to prop my leg up at the ankle/calf so that the knee "hung" anytime it wasn't being exercised or in the CPM, so that it was always at zero for resting.  I did it most of the time.  Sometimes it hurt too bad and I'd put a little pillow under the knee itself for an hour or two to let it rest, but mostly I did as asked, and never lost any extension to speak of.  I've been told that it's harder to regain extension than flexion.  Given how much hell I'm having getting flexion back, I don't want to THINK about losing extension.
Lateral Release, Medial "Reef" - '91
{16 years of grinding, pain, swelling and lots of ice}
'scope 7/07 - .7cm2 tibial plateau microfracture, 2.5cm2 grade4 patellar CP debridement
ACI & Fulkerson TTT 2/08 (patella lesion then 4.5cmx3cm)

dileigh

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 10:32:37 PM »
OK, finally made 85, today is better than yesterday. May have been the change in the weather.  Was really down in the dumps and back hurt worse than the knee.

Went back to the chiropractor this morning, always different when you can't lay down on your stomach. Watching the Masters on TV, wishing I could actually go play sometime this year. 

I finally can go down stairs in an upright position, but could not get up the stairs last night.  They are too tall for me to go up with the crutches first, I have to stand on tiptoe to keep them under my armpits.

Diana

Offline MegTX

• Forum Faithful
  • With my shield, or on it.
    • Personal Website
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 03:03:06 AM »
Get your PT to show you how to go up stairs with crutches.  You leave the crutches on the lower step with the bad leg and push up, putting the good leg up one step and step up with it, and then lift/drag the bad leg up to the step, then reset the crutches on the step you just moved to.  And, it's always good to have a strong person below you just in case until you're steady and sure with it.  :-)
Lateral Release, Medial "Reef" - '91
{16 years of grinding, pain, swelling and lots of ice}
'scope 7/07 - .7cm2 tibial plateau microfracture, 2.5cm2 grade4 patellar CP debridement
ACI & Fulkerson TTT 2/08 (patella lesion then 4.5cmx3cm)

dileigh

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 03:32:35 AM »
 No PT appointment until after the 6 week mark, so that won't be much help.  I can do like curbs, but I don't feel steady enough to do the tall steps.

I tried to do it that way last night, but for some reason it made my bad leg hurt. The really hard part was the first step.  And I still had to go to the chair at the top of the stairs, didn't feel safe otherwise.

Finally made it to 90 last night, only 5 days later than I was supposed to be. :o

Diana 

dileigh

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 12:12:20 AM »
Well, went to work for a couple of hours yesterday, had 2 things to do that were time sensitive and I hadn't had time to teach anyone else to do, as they are complicated.  Wasn't too bad, stole someone else's office for a while since it was downstairs, everyone wanted to know when I was coming back and were very helpful.

I may wait a little bit longer since the owner said that he wants me to be able to hit the ground running so to speak.  I'm just coming out of the fog from pain medication and need to work on getting to bed earlier and getting up earlier.  Maybe start working on some of the stuff I brought home with me in between CPM sessions. I go back to the OS on Tuesday, so we'll see what he says then.

Anyone take their CPM beyond 90?  I've stopped there since I don't know whether or not to take it higher.  I also started putting vitamin E on the scar yesterday, hoping that it really works to reduce it.  The bottom part of the incision isn't bad, but the part on top for about the first 2 inches is.

Diana

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 01:46:31 AM »
Diana-

You can bring it beyond 90 degrees, assuming you're allowed to.  My previous experience with knee surgeries is that once you get to the 95-100 deg ROM mark then you've crossed a pivotal mark as the remaining flexion will be really easy to get.  Just give the OS a call before your appointment.

I'll also say this--- be careul on doing too much too soon.  I am guilty of doing too much too soon.  Just be prepared to experience some increased swelling and pain.

John
L knee meniscal repair- 6/89
L knee scope- 11/95
L knee ACL reconstruction- 2/96
L knee scope (included a lateral release, cartilage biopsy, and the ever fun bone shaving)- 1/08
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08
L knee scope/manipulation- 7/08

dileigh

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 12:46:29 AM »
Waited to post until my appointment today, because other than a little more advancement on CPM, nothing else has changed.  From today's appointment, can get rid of the CPM and continue the exercises on my own.  I couldn't completely extend my leg at the appointment, but he had me do it as extension from a seated position, something I hadn't tried yet.  So get to do the hang my leg off of a pillow thing for awhile

Looking forward to the next appointment in 2 weeks.  Get rid of the brace, get to start weight bearing and start PT.  I can also go back to work light duty, but have some things to take care of that popped up this week, and will go back next week.

I also made it up the stairs all the way on my crutches for the first time today, so today it all looks good.

Diana

dileigh

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 09:41:30 PM »

OK, I am now really sure the CPM helps with the swelling.  We went and dropped my car off at the garage and went to Wally World to help my daughter get some stuff and had major swelling in my knee afterwards.  It took hours to go back down.

Also active ROM exercises hurt more than the CPM, which they picked up today.  But I can still do about 80-85 free, not quite back to 90 yet.

Diana

dileigh

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2008, 11:27:44 PM »

Made it through the first day of work.  It was raining and everyone was super careful about me coming in from the car. There is a ramp on the back deck by our parking lot, but it was a little slippery.  I even had people follow me up the steps to my office to make sure I didn't fall.

About as much swelling as I expected, and a little pain after the drive home, but not bad.  It's a 30 minute drive each way.  Not as bad as Atlanta traffic though ;).  So, we'll see how tomorrow goes.  I stayed longer than planned and was tired when I left.

It was good to get out of the house for awhile and see people other than my OS and family.

Diana

dileigh

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2008, 07:30:34 PM »

Survived the first week at work pretty ok, more tired than anything else.  I found a box that's about seat high so I could prop my leg up.  Not the same as elevated, but better than being bent the whole time. I did the rotating ice pack to help keep the swelling down too.   If only I could get everyone to stop offering to help me either going up or down the stairs.......

Still amazed at the lack of pain from the surgery, had some pain over the screw area later in the week, but not really bad.

Yesterday, I had what looked like a blood blister at the top of my scar.  Today it popped while doing ROM exercises. I didn't even feel it, just looked down and saw the blood.  Called the on call doctor and he said since there was no pus, it was probably a reaction to an internal stitch dissolving. Just keep ROM to less than where it makes it bleed and clean out the wound with peroxide.

So we'll se what happens at the 6 week appointment on Tuesday now.

Diana

dileigh

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 02:49:56 PM »
So, not only did I pull a pec muscle on my right side, over the weekend, going up the stairs I pulled a muscle in my ribs on the left side.  That really hurts bad and I didn't make it to work today.  I kicked someone out of a downstairs office to work yesterday.

You should see me getting around the house.  Since it hurts really bad to use the crutches, I've been using desk chair to wheel around the downstairs.  Pretty easy-just push off to go backwards.  I've also been cheating a little last night and this morning and putting my foot down and putting a little weight on it when I do have to use the crutches.  I figured that since today is my six week appointment and I should be PWB after my appointment today that it wasn't pushing it too much.

But it's yet another day not moving around much.

Diana

dileigh

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2008, 10:32:52 PM »
Ok,  healing is going good,   I get to dump the crutches and the brace.  I still need to work on my extension, and add a little more to the flexion and start riding the bike for 20 minutes a day. He confirmed the problem I had over the weekend was a stitch abcess.

Still no formal PT, and won't be for at least another month when I go back.  I did go talk to the PT's after the appointment, mostly to say hi and to pick their brains a little.  The main therapist has done rehab for ACI, but not for this OS.  He says by the time I start, there won't be much for them to do but strengthening.   They are a lot easier to talk to and ask questions.

I have some surface scar tissue that inhibits flexion some and he told me to massage it, but not with the oil. Also he told me how to increase flexion in the quad extensions I've been doing.  I'll have to change where I do it I think. Cause he showed me in a regular chair, but I've been doing it on the couch.

So, I can weight bear more than I expected, but I'm  not ready to ditch the sticks yet... ;)

Diana

support