Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Diana's ACI and Fulkerson 3/24/08  (Read 17597 times)

dileigh

Diana's ACI and Fulkerson 3/24/08
« on: March 26, 2008, 07:57:29 PM »

Well, I made it back home. Surgery was on Monday. Yesterday was a rough day, started out by throwing up, and then passed out when I tried to sit up. My blood pressure had dropped to like 64/35 Got on the CPM once at 20 degrees,  I think I pulled something in my torso when I passed out because it hurts to use the crutches.  Got my CPM set up at home today, but not very moblie right now. But at least I'm home and out of the hospital.

I will say, I thought I would be able to make it upstairs, especially since i didn't have that much of a problem when they did the scope, and I'm having trouble finding a comfortable place to sleep dowstairs.  I wasn't set up to stay down here. I also thought I would be able to set up the CPM on the floor, but that wasn't the case either. We have a chaise, but it's not as long as a regular couch and it's serving double duty

Pain level is much better today than yesterday, I have an OnQ system in place, but it's going to run out soon, so we'll se what happens then. The plan for the CPM is to increase it as tolerated. It's taken me well over an hour to write this, so I'll stop here.

Diana

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Diana's ACI and Fulkerson 3/24/08
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 09:06:37 PM »
Diana,

I am so glad that you are home; the worst is behind you!  The next few days will pass in a blur and then you will feel a bit more like yourself.  Hang in there, it will get better.

Peg Leg
10/06  Miicrofracture Rt knee on mfc
defect was 1.3x2, small defect under patella
04/07 Arthroscopy/Cell harvest for Carticel
06/28/07 Carticel surgery ,Rt. Knee
12/27/07  Scope to debride Patella lesion,Rt. Knee
4/17/08  Fulkerson AMZ, Rt. Knee
6/25/09 ConforMis BiCompartmental Knee Replacement

Offline MegTX

• Forum Faithful
  • With my shield, or on it.
    • Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 03:08:48 AM »
Wow, you've have a rough week.  I can't imagine trying to do stairs post ACI/TTT.  I'm lucky that my house is one level.  Hang in there, my first few days post op were hell, but it did start getting better.  Take your meds as directed and ice ice ice, try to keep ahead of the pain and not let it get started if you can.  And take care of yourself, let people take care of you.  Lots and lots of pillows everywhere to find a comfy spot.  I also used bed wedges from the bedding store, they helped get the right angles.  And for some reason ice cream makes everything just a little better.  :-D

Best of luck, hang in there!  Get as much sleep as you can, it lets your body heal.
Lateral Release, Medial "Reef" - '91
{16 years of grinding, pain, swelling and lots of ice}
'scope 7/07 - .7cm2 tibial plateau microfracture, 2.5cm2 grade4 patellar CP debridement
ACI & Fulkerson TTT 2/08 (patella lesion then 4.5cmx3cm)

dileigh

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 09:10:08 PM »
Ups and downs.  And I forgot until they were talking about dogs in another thread that I got to see a therapy dog in the hospital, they had one in that day.   I love dogs and didn't want to pass up the chance to see one.  It was a Shetland Sheepdog, a little larger than one I had as a child.

The first time on the CPM today, got to 32, will probably up it again when I get back on it.  Figured out a way to use a strap to get myself out of it, and will see if it works to get back in it.  Hubby spends so much time with getting me stuff, and moving me that he can't do anything much else just now.   No rib pain, so it's much easier to move around and I get to take a bath later, and boy do I need one ;D 

Down- the chair shifted this morning just as I was shifting balance to stand up and I landed on my surgical leg.  Hurt like crazy and had to take a Darvocet, which meant I slept until this afternoon, and won't get my 8 hours in today. But it feels better now, so I don't think I did any permanent damage.  Also down is the insurance companies again.  OS wrote me a prescription for a non-narcotic pain pill which I really love by the way, and he wrote it for 60 pills. The insurance company will only give me 20 a month.  We'll see what happens Monday at my post op appointment.

I love my Donjoy Iceman, it does really last about 6 or 8 hours.  A lot of warmth yesterday afternoon in my knee, but much better today.

dileigh

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 09:44:33 PM »
Got up to 40, but had to back it up some because of the staples pulling so much.  Talked to my OS who isn't worried, especially since they are supposed to come out tomorrow. So, I'm holding steady at about 35.

Got to sleep on my right side last night for awhile.  Surgery was on left knee.  It felt good, I really can't sleep on my back.  For the most part pain isn't bad.  The muscle spasms are the worst, I keep getting them over my knee.

Life is recliner, bathroom, cpm, bathroom, recliner......etc, etc.  I've already finished 4 books.  It doesn't help that there is no tv in the room where the cpm is.  I hadn't planned on putting it in there, or we would have figured out something before surgery.

Diana

Offline MegTX

• Forum Faithful
    • Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 09:01:04 PM »
Good work on the flexion... keep that puppy moving!!

On the TV... there's a bunch of things you can get streaming on your computer, since you seem to have one of those accessible.  :-)  Try hulu.com or if you have netflix they have free streaming movies & tv.  It's not quite the same, but it's something different!
'scope 7/07 - .7cm2 tibial plateau microfracture, 2.5cm2 grade4 patellar CP debridement

dileigh

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 11:25:43 PM »
Meg, haven't been able to get my computer where the cpm is, but I'm always looking for something to do. Hubby did take the old DVD player back there and hooked it up. Back up to 40, have to be at 90 before I go back next week.

Staples didn't come out like I hoped, he said it wasn't healed enough, but I can get them wet, so the shower will be easier.  I may cover the them for a few days more. Of course, this also means I can finally shave that leg! I counted, there are 30 staples.  I took a picture, and will try to put it up later.

Got to see the op report, he did a VMO advancement and lateral release he still hasn't mentioned yet.  But then, he is a man of verrrrry few words.  It's not that he's trying to withhold information, it's just his nature. He does explain if you ask questions. Defect was 3cm by 18mm down the center of the patella. 

Diana

dileigh

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 01:15:42 AM »
Up to 60 today and took a shower by myself for the first time.  Hubby worries too much!

Other than that, not much else changes.  I might actually get the whole 8 hours in today.  I've been only managing about 6, can't seem to get that last one in.

Got a call from the owner today wanting to know when I'm coming back.  Anyone go back to work while still on the CPM? I doubt seriously that I could until I'm done with it.  I would have to go upstairs to work, but it's a desk job other than that.

Diana

« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 01:17:37 AM by dileigh »

Offline MegTX

• Forum Faithful
    • Personal Website
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 01:51:30 AM »
I have been working from home, I'm a computer geek and was able to set up a hospital-style table with my laptop over my bed and work with the CPM going.  And later we set up the CPM on a large ottoman that was the right height for a comfy chair that I use with my airdesk (www.airdesks.com) and so I've been pretty comfy with the CPM.  I could have gone back to work, but I'd have had to basically sleep in the CPM to get my time in, which would have kicked my hubby out of the bed.  :-)  And I've been more comfortable at home, but I *am* going stir crazy.

Offline runnerbeth

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 02:23:45 PM »
I went back to work after 2 weeks so had 4 weeks where I was in the CPM while going to work.  I tried sleeping in it but that didn't work well for me.  I ended up getting home around 6 and staying in it until about midnight.  I'd just settle into the couch at night and usually doze off.  I'd wake up around midnight and go to bed.  I only got in 6 hours but it worked for me and I was glad to be back at work and out of the house.

Good luck!

Offline Chondrosoldier

• Regular Poster
    • Myspace
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 04:16:45 PM »
Beth tried to figure out which knee you had done with no success.  If it's your Right, what's your driving status?  Thats something that concerns me post-op.  Thanks!
1997 L Traumatic dislocation/ACL
1997-2001 L recurrent sbuluxation
2001 L TTT Realignment
2006 L Patellar Carticel biopsy/debridement
2006 L Carticel 4cm patellar reimplantation
2007 R Carticel biopsy/debridement
 Insurance Battle
2008 R TTT 4CM Patalla/3CM Trochlea Carticel implant
Happiness!

Offline MegTX

• Forum Faithful
    • Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 06:04:50 PM »
Beth tried to figure out which knee you had done with no success.  If it's your Right, what's your driving status?  Thats something that concerns me post-op.  Thanks!

I had my right done, and was finally allowed to start driving after my 6 week checkup.  I really think I could have done it a little sooner, but no one was willing for me to try.  I also am a stubborn biddy, and would have put my right leg across the seat and driven with my left foot, but that seemed to freak everyone out, too!  :-D  (I did that for 8 weeks back 16 years ago with my lateral release.)

dileigh

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 06:32:35 PM »
I would love to work from home, but I'm a manager as well, so I can work on some reports at home, but right now I'm getting the feeling I'm really needed hands on.   Surgery was on my left knee so driving shouldn't be a problem.

I'm worried about cpm time because I know if I don't keep up, I could end up back in surgery or worse.  I went back early from a previous surgery (not knee) because it was a mess, and I was the only one in the department.  I have regretted it because it took me longer to heal.  But on the other hand since I am in charge of the accounting department, if it all falls apart, there will be no job and no benefits.

I already haven't made it to 8 hours yet.  I can do 6, and did 7 yesterday, but at 60 it hurts, and I have to be at 90 by Tuesday.  I can't see me working and getting the time in yet.

Diana

Offline runnerbeth

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 11:54:50 PM »
Mine was the left knee so driving wasn't an issue.  I drove myself to my first PT a week after the surgery and kept on going from there.  Getting in and out of the car was a little tough but driving itself wasn't a problem.

Diana, definitely do what feels right for you and your knee.  Your recovery is much more important than work.

dileigh

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 03:02:20 AM »
Got my staples out today and swapped out braces for a locking brace.  He said I can't go back to work until I'm off pain meds, so I'm stuck here for now. 

Didn't make it on the cpm today, had to go out before the doctor's appointment, and felt sick after we came back, and started running a low fever.  Wasn't a good day even before that because I didn't sleep last night due to shoulder and rib pain.  Could not find a comfortable position.  Got up to 75 yesterday.

He was satisfied with ROM demonstrated at my appointment, and didn't ask where I was on the CPM.  Which was good for me since I didn't make it to 90 like he wanted.  I figured I was going to get yelled at.

Diana