Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee swelling  (Read 9064 times)

Offline duke86

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee swelling
« on: March 26, 2008, 01:06:40 PM »
As I said in another room, be knee swelled up after playing basketball a few weeks ago with no injury that I felt.  I went to a new doctor today, it i got no information out of him. It was a waste of time. I still dont know how my knee went from being fine for months, to swelling up everytime i play basketball with no injury that happened. It doesnt make any sense. Any help will be appreciated.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Knee swelling
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 02:08:46 PM »
So what did the doc say ? He must have said anything.... .
What kind of doc did you see GP or OS ?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline duke86

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 02:29:45 PM »
He is an OS. All he said was that he couldnt really tell, but he thinks that I have some rough cartilage under my patella that is causing irriatation. My thoughts are that my surgeon said that that is what he did was smooth out the cartilage and remove plica, so there is no way that the cartilage could be rough again.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 02:31:18 PM by duke86 »

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 02:32:36 PM »
And did he have some solution to get around that ?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 03:39:03 PM »
I'm going to jump in here.  I had my right knee scoped a couple of years ago to smooth the rough cartilage behind my kneecap.  When they went back in last summer, it needed it again.  If the reason the cartilage got "rough" in the first place is not fixed, it can get rough again.  So it is possible.  Did he come up with a reason the cartilage is rough?
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline duke86

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 05:48:35 PM »
No reason at all. I went here for a second opinion, and it was a waste of time. This guy was a joke. He just wanted to go in and get out. I see where your coming from, but you had a gap of about 2-3 years where it needed to be done again. It hasnt even been a year, amd Ive only been playing basketball for a few months, maybe 1-2x per week. I did get bainged in the knee about a month ago without even knowing. I got home and there was a bruise on the medial side, and my knee felt kind of loose, that has since disappeared and I am left with swelling.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 06:20:25 PM »
Sounds like he was holding the appointment and you just was stunned.
I have had 3 surgeries in 6 months. Started with an injury and I am in wheelchair..so not easy to make that happen. The knee has become worse in a very short time for me.
So a year is nothing if you play basket. You can easily get a rough cartilage once that has started.
Did you rehab enough before going back into sports again after the surgery ?

Offline duke86

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 12:06:44 AM »
I dunno, but I made another appointment with my original orthopedic doctor, the one who did the surgery, and I am going to ask for an MRI. Another thing, my knee is hot to the touch, what does that mean?

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 07:52:33 AM »
A knee hot to touch means that something is irritated inside and that you have an ongoing inflammation in there. You should try to ice down the knee. You can use a bag of peas and put some towel in between the bag and your skin and ice for 15 minutes then take a break and ice every other hour. See if that makes the knee calm down.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 01:01:30 PM »
I hope your original OS can shed some light on the issue for you.  Nettan is right, hot and red means something is inflammed.  Ice it like she described.  If it does not get better, make sure to point that out to your OS when you see him.

As far as needing the kneecap "cleaned up" again.  I did have a gap of a couple years before I let them go back in.  The cartilage got redamaged less than a year after the scope.  I just didn't want more surgery.  Then I fell on some ice onto my knees and had him scope both to see if the pain would get better.  I have an alignment issue and the lateral side of both knees is very tight, that is what is causing my issues. 

Good luck and I hope some ice will get that swelling down for you.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 01:41:40 PM »
Hi Duke,
It sounds as though your swelling coincides with the appearance of that mystery bruise. If so, maybe that's the source of the problem. Based on what you said, I'm wondering if you tore the medial collateral ligament. That would explain the bruising and the loose feeling. It would also explain why you keep getting swelling after you play, because you're probably irritating the ligament again. I'm not a medical professional, however, so this is just a guess. I know it's a pain going from doctor to doctor, but I'd advise getting another opinion and asking the OS to test the MCL and maybe do an MRI.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline duke86

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 11:18:30 PM »
I have undergone all of the ligaments tests and both doctors said that my ligaments were fine, and that my menisci were good. I did go to my old PT place and they said that they think that it could be patellar tendonitis. I am not too familiar with this, but do swelling and warmth coinside with this. However it doesnt seem that my tendon is sensitive all that much. Maybe just a dull ache most of the time. I am hoping that this is all that it is. They said that because my leg strenth is still weka from being out so long, that it is putting more stress on my tendon. Sounds like it matches. Hopefully thats all that it is.