Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: split posterior tibial tendon transfer for foot drop  (Read 43345 times)

Offline mcnallyk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: split posterior tibial tendon transfer for foot drop
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 07:55:52 PM »
I have been interested in reading about good and bad experiences of this op. My 10yr old neice may require this procedure as she now has bilateral foot drop following spinal surgery for spondylolisthesis. Can anyone point us in the direction of a good surgeon to preform this op on someone aged 10. Preferably in England but if she needs to travel then so be it!

Offline rkane

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 02:04:27 AM »
Hi All,

I am interested in finding out about the tibial tendon transfer for foot drop.   I injured myself taking out the garbage and steping into a whole and changed my life :'(.   Does anyone know what  the approximate recovery time is for this operation. I was told that even with the operation I would still need to wear an AFO, so is the operation really worth it?  :-\

http://
[color=Navy][b]11/9 ACL/PCl/Men
11/9 Foot Drop Peroneal/Sciatic Nerve damage[/b] [/color]
   :o

Offline BOBHUSKER

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 05:31:30 AM »
Hello all. I have read every post in this thread and in 1 other forum. I am still unsure of what to do. In February 2009, I had back surgery to fuse my spine and remove an abscess there. Diagnosis: Osteomyelitis. This left me with nerve damage that has left me with drop foot still today nearly 3 years later. I am lucky I am able to walk. I went to a surgeon in January 2011 and he said he does not recommend the tendon transfer surgery. He says: "You are robbing Peter to pay Paul." He says I am better continuing to use the foot brace. I hate wearing this thing and feel subconscious about it and it causes sores on my foot. I have read a few post in another forum that says: "Wait until the 5 year mark." How many of you agree with this? At the 3 year mark, I find it unlikely that I will ever get any better. I have had all the physical therapy I can stand. It helped some but not much. My drop foot is pretty severe. I am thinking of getting a 2nd opinion. To those of you who have had this surgery, how long afterwards are you able to drive again? I am single and live alone and have to plan on getting to work. In the other forum I visited, I saw more post in favor of this surgery than against it but when a doctor says "Don't do it," I am having doubts. To complicate matters, my insurance that is currently 100% for everything is likely to be decreased next year so I am feeling pressured to make a decision soon as to whether I should have it or not. Any feedback any of you want to offer would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 12:22:23 AM »
I have been interested in reading about good and bad experiences of this op. My 10yr old neice may require this procedure as she now has bilateral foot drop following spinal surgery for spondylolisthesis. Can anyone point us in the direction of a good surgeon to preform this op on someone aged 10. Preferably in England but if she needs to travel then so be it!

Hello,

I realize this post has been up for nearly a year now, but I've been a poster on this board for quite some time.  My daughter is 8 and has foot drop from a nerve injury when she was a toddler.

I too am interested in the procedure on children.

Feel free to post back to me and let me know if you have any concerns, progress, etc.
Mother of a now six year old daughter with unexplained peroneal neuropathy/injury to the peroneal nerve resulting in footdrop.  Had surgery 7-06 including neurolysis to remove scar tissue/neuroma.  Wears AFO wtih dorsiflextion assist and is using EMG triggered biofeedback and TES awaiting recovery.

Offline bobo2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 04:45:28 PM »
 To: mom444

I was curious if your daughter had the surgery.  My 12 year old son is going in for it early next month.