Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MPFL Reconstruction  (Read 6037 times)

Offline skipdawg96

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MPFL Reconstruction
« on: March 04, 2014, 11:17:03 PM »
Hello my name is Charlie. I'm 17 years old and have dislocated my right knee twice (Both at the age of 17 and both non contact injuries). My dad has also dislocated both his knees, but decided not to have surgery and instead focus on PT. Fortunately, he hasn't dislocated them in 20 years.

However, my OS has told me that because I have dislocated it twice, it is unlikely to heal and I risk further dislocations without surgery. He suggested MPFL Reconstruction to stabilise the kneecap. I not overly keen on surgery because I have A levels in May and June. In addition, I am going interrailing at the start of July. In the long term, I want to be able to play sports competitively.

First of all, I want to know whether I will be able to revise post op? How much school will I miss? Are there any knee braces I could wear whilst interrailing to reduce the risk of another dislocation? Whether I should delay my operation until after summer holidays and instead wear a knee brace and have lots of PT? And whether intense PT can solve knee dislocations even if you have shallow grooves?

Cheers Charlie

Offline kayliinnnn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: MPFL Reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 03:26:21 AM »
Hello, I just had this surgery on March 4th! I am 15! It did hurt a lot during the first week! Right now I am at just over 2 weeks post op. It is frustrating not being able to shower and do usual things that easily but I can say that my knee does feel pretty good right now! I had the same problem. I was in Physical Therapy for 5 months and nothing helped at all! I do have a patella stabilizer brace that I loved before my surgery and now I use it on my other leg with the same problem until my next operation! I think it will be worth it! I think after around 2 weeks you should be able to be at school. I do online school but I have been able to get out a little and walk around with my crutches!(: Let me know if you have anymore questions or anything!

Kaylin