Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: early days  (Read 1175 times)

Offline pagit85

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
early days
« on: March 22, 2008, 11:56:38 PM »
Hey guys, on the 10th of march i dislocated my kneecap, and subsequently stuck in a splint for a week.
i had to go back to A&E the next monday for a check up. where they said i was to be careful etc, use the splint as little as possible, and start physiotherapy.
well i booked physio as early as possible, sadly thats not for 3 weeks! ive also been told i cant drive for minimum of 2 weeks, or do anything as strenuous.

im wondering, as i go to the gym very often for weight training/bodybuilding, whether anybody else has any experience with this or just has some good info. im worried how its going to affect my training.

im really apprehensive about the whole thing really, from what ive read it seems like once it happens once, it keeps happening, sport or no sport. i mean the gym is a big part of who i am, and i was just gettin really into it, diet sorted, the lot, and legs were my weakest part by quite a way anyway...

any help at all, especially from fellow lifters but everybodys welcome to put their two cents in, would be great thanks!

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: early days
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 10:59:47 AM »
Hi there,
stop reading up so much on it - you'll only wreck your head!!
the real deal is as follows - 1 dislocation does put you more at risk for another one but if you do the physio and you havent done muce damage to the joint you may never have another one! so dont panic - yet anyway :)

how did you dislocate it? lots of my past physios say the method of first dislocation and subsequent management of the injury can play a big part in whether or not it may happen again.

if it does keep happening the docs can try to fix it up.

Much too early for you to be worrying, for now treat it like any other injury, do what the docs tell you, do the physio when the time comes and let the healing happen.

About weight lifting - youve probably got an advantage that youve been lifting weights so youll have good muscle tone.
tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline pagit85

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 06:10:27 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AO_0Uy2rnk
just like that really is basically how it happened, minus the basketball!! :P

i know it'll make me paranoid if i keep reading up on it, but im just trying to find out the best way i can avoid it happening again.

im also confused, i found out someone i recently met did it in the past and was in a plastercast for 4months solid, but im in a splint for a week? i can barely walk without my support at the moment, i certainly cant bend my leg when i walk without it. i wish they'd have done an MRI to see the ligament damage  :-\

thanks for the help!
Rich

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 09:34:30 AM »
Hi,
i cant watch that link in work - ill watch it later.

dont be confused - the reason the treatment is different is that there are different types of dislocations, usually if the kneecap comes right out and down the side of the leg that they cast it. or depending on damage done upon clinical examination.

also sometimes damage doesnt show up til some swelling has gone down so you may well be in for an MRI soon but its might be too early yet cos any damage wouldnt show up.

dislocations are tricky to diagnose because you have to allow some initial healing to see how bad it really was.

when are you next due back to see a doctor about it?
tanya

Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline pagit85

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 02:05:39 AM »
im not due to see the doctor again, i was just told to start physio. my knee is still swollen despite it being 3 weeks ago.

i dunno how bad the dislocation was, as i had my trousers on so couldnt visibly see, but when i did it aside from the obvious intense pain there was a loud snap that someone heard 20feet away, and my leg was flopping loose at an awful angle, so i pushed it back into place through panic reflex and i felt what i can only describe as a huge crunch when i presume i reset it. my knee then started to burn on the inside, and i felt a strong pain on the left side of my knee as if id taken a hard blow there. below the knee though was completely numb for a minute or two, i couldnt feel a thing!

so yeah, im presuming i damaged the ligaments quite bad :S

Rich

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 08:27:44 PM »
a lot of times it resolves itself with physio - if the physio place think you need to go back to see a doc they will refer you.

i watched that link - yuck!!

my first dislocation took 2 months before my knee felt normal again (a month after that I dislocated it again) - and mine wasnt like shown in that link - mine have always reduced themselves (so kneecap out and in in the same motion) so i didnt have to push it back in place - from what you describe you may well have done some internal damage - but in a lot of cases that can heal itself (when they operated on my it wasnt to fix damage it was to realign the knee to prevent future dislocation) - so try not to worry about that unless someone like a physio gives you reason to worry.

Have you started physio yet? they can also do some checking of ligaments - theres some standard stuff they do, pulling your leg various directions to check.

honestly - try not to worry, often times it only happens the once to someone.
what were you doing when it happened and did anyone knock into you - was there any kind of impact? On that link the guy hits the floor and dislocates, thats not what ever happened me - i dislocate mid air as it were, impact injuries are more like unfortunate accidents, because i dislocate mid air its my anatomy thats at fault - but with an impact dislocation its different and you may never dislocate again (like somene being hit with something and breaking a leg - doesnt mean its gonna keep breaking - bad analogy but you know what i mean)
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline pagit85

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 02:07:45 PM »
hmm ok. and yeah i know bout the link, yuck indeed!

ill start the physio next tuesday, the 10th, so will have to see what he/she says about it all. ive got a few questions to ask so hoping they'll be answered. im hoping the checks they do reveal something, id rather know what the case is, good or bad, rather than maybe, if u get me!

when it happened, it was very similar to that video, i fell one way sideways, and my lower leg didnt move, and my body carried on going over it and then halfway through i twisted and started falling the same drection back first rather than side, and my leg went to move but something got in the way and stopped it and my knee made a loud SNAP sound, so it stayed locked as i fell. i hit the floor, paniced and pushed it back in like i said before.

hope that makes sense!

sorry to hear ur time has been so rough :-\ hard to imagine it dislocating so often, esp in midair! whats ur next step?

support