Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: My ACL Reconstruction OP: G Singh  (Read 8041 times)

Offline g_singh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
My ACL Reconstruction OP: G Singh
« on: March 22, 2008, 10:07:57 PM »
Hi Guys,

Brilliant information on the site and is definitely a help.

I had my ACL R Operation done through the NHS on the Tuesday just gone and wanted to track progress/gain advice on here  :)

OP Day:
General anaesthetic, operation went fine, went hope with splint.

Day1:
On pain killers, taken splint and bandages off, leg is badly swollen!
Whole leg down the shin to the foot is redish with swelling.
I have started my quad exercises...

I spoke to my GP nurse and she said I should leave the dressing on.

Day2:
Quad exercises and still Iciing to reduce swelling
Tried bending knee but swelling wont allow much progress!

Day 3:
Tried adding the knee bend and managed a slight bit.
Still swollen and still do not have much sensation near the bottom off leg (due to swelling?)

Day4:
Easing of Pain killlers now and trying to share slight weight on leg (with crutches!)
I also managed to do a 5 set of calf raises against a chair.

This is it so far!

My only major concern so far is if I should remove the dressings for the wounds???
I have to go back to the hospital on wednesday (3 more days) and I am assuming they will change the dressing?

Thanks in advance,

G

Offline g_singh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: My ACL Reconstruction OP: G Singh
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 11:05:25 AM »
BUMP  ;)

Day 5:
Im off the pain killers and the pain is very irritating and constant especially on the inside of the knee..
Attempted the knee bend while lying on my back and managed about 30 degrees, the swelling stops me going further more than the pain..

G

Offline g_singh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 07:17:04 PM »
My leg is quite red and swollen from knee down to the top of the ankle, is this normal?
I also do not have much sensation in this area..

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 09:37:52 PM »
Swelling is normal and as you become more mobile the fluid will make its way down your ankle due to gravity. Numbness is also normal. However, redness is not normal. If your knee is red, hot, swollen and you have an increase in pain you need to call your doctor as these are signs of infection.

Offline g_singh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 11:12:28 AM »
Thanks Jathib,

Swelling is going down gradually and I am able to flex the joint better today.
The knee has been redish and hot since the day of the surgery so I am hoping it is not infection (Additionaly I do not have an increase in pain).

I have an appointment with my doctor tommorow and hope to quash any doubts!

I have not stopped taking the main medication for pain: Co-Codamol but take a tablet of Diclofenac before i go to sleep (think this is an anti-inflamatory?)

Thanks,
G

Offline g_singh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 11:24:08 AM »
Just an update:
Been a week, I went to the Hospital today- the dressing stays on for another week!

Physio was quite aggressive and encouraged me to place more weight onto the leg.
Apparantly I am aiming for a 90 degree flexion of the knee for next week when i get the flexi Brace.

I raised the point of still not being able to feel the inside of my leg: The physio said that during the operation they cut one of the nerves??
I asked when I wil get sensation back and she said its a hit and miss situation. This is really upsetting as I do not want a "dead leg" for the rest of my life  :( Has anyone had this problem before??

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 01:43:11 PM »

I raised the point of still not being able to feel the inside of my leg: The physio said that during the operation they cut one of the nerves??
I asked when I wil get sensation back and she said its a hit and miss situation. This is really upsetting as I do not want a "dead leg" for the rest of my life  :( Has anyone had this problem before??

Yeah, I haven't felt parts of my knee for 35 years. Sometimes the feeling comes back and sometimes not. If it does, it's a slow process. My PT told me that nerves heal at a rate of about an inch (2.5cm) a month. Also, they put a tourniquet around your leg during surgery that cuts off circulation. That can also cause numbness. In that case feeling should return sooner. My leg was numb for several days following my PKR. But the part below my kneecap will never return. I've gotten used to it by now.

Offline g_singh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 11:20:33 AM »
Thanks Jathib,

You are correct I did have a tourniquet around my thigh (still bruised!) , seeing as it has been a week already though, I reckon it must be the nerve damage. I hope time does heal because it is an odd sensation or rather lack off in the leg.

Its one week two days now and I am doing leg raises on the bed to increase quad strength and have started sharing weight on the leg evenly when walking on the crutches!

On a more positive note i managed to start up my car yesterday and let her run for 5 minutes, cant wait to drive!
G

Offline az_2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 02:40:51 PM »
sounds like you had your acl done the same day as me, 18th? I had mine done on NHS down at Haslar in Gosport.

I've got numb bit of leg too, from knee down my shin, about 2 inches wide. Figured nerve damage during surgery. I'm hoping it repairs.

I wasn't given advice about dressing so I took off the big surgery thing after 3 days and just put a smaller one on.

I'm not walking more than a few steps without crutches as my knee still feels wobbly and it hurts if I stand up for long. How is bending your leg going?

Offline nerospiro

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 10:12:37 AM »
hi all i also had my right aclr day 12 now, swelling more or less gone now but leg still a little yellow from brusing and leg still numb, but has got alittle better over the last week, was just wondering singh did your pt give you the leg raises to do ,because i was told to stay away from them for now until my 2 week appiontment ,the only execises i was given to do for the first 2 weeks was the heal slides for flexion, leg striaghtening ones where you push your knee to the floor as far as you can get it and some very slight sqauts .did you have your op in the uk.

Offline g_singh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 02:30:47 PM »
Hi Guys,

Yes az_2 I had my operation on the 18th and it was through the nhs at west middlesex hospital.

Similar to yourself the inside of my shin and parts of my insole of foot are numb to touch, I have a constant "zingy feeling there from the nerve endings, but like pins and needles however feels like frozen and burning at the same time!? ???

It is one week 4 days now and the swelling has definitely gone down alot and I am flexing the knee at about 80-85 degrees which I am pleased about.. I would concentrate on getting the swelling down as this is primarily what prevents you from bending the knee?

NeroSpiro, yes the physio gave me the leg raises exercises after my first week consultation, i think everyone heals differently and from what i have read on here, getting your knee as straight as possible and working on flexing the joint is the primary objective. Rationale being that you can always build the quad muscles through your rehab and that working on flexing is good in the early stages as you can avoid the scar tissue building up.

Except for the pins and needles irritation down the leg I am feeling more confident and am putting more weight and walking on the leg with the crutches for balance. The physio said I should not worry as the leg can take the weight! I even had my first shower standing on one leg aka flamingo style, feel much better about myself lol placebo effect? ;D

Offline nerospiro

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 03:22:16 PM »
hi all just wondering have been walking around the house without crutches ,all be it very gingerly should i be doing this ,they did tell me that i would be able to put full weight on the leg from day one and told me id be back to work in 2 weeks which ive since put upto 3 just to be sure still not very stable off crutches. anybody know whats the ruff guide for normal walking as i do a faily labour intensive job so a bit worried .

Offline g_singh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 04:47:07 PM »
Hey nero, I can only go by the physiotherapy plan assigned at the hospital, according to their programme you can loose the crutches after 2 weeks (once they give you the flexi brace).

I take it you are still wearing the stiff splint/brace given to you when you are walking about? You are ok to put weight on the leg as long as you are wearing the brace for stability. I am aiming to walk without crutches by tues (14 day mark).

On another note if your job is labour intensive why take the risk in going back so early? I think you have made a mature decision in waiting an additionaly week mate.  ;)

I managed to have a crutch aided mini walk in the garden... the weather is not very motivating!

Offline nerospiro

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 07:04:23 PM »
hi singh agree about the weather very bad here in cardiff too, sounds like your doing well tho, where did you have your op because they didnt give me a brace only the crutches, infact the physio didnt mention having a brace at any stage hope i havent damaged anything ,do you know when they check the grapht

Offline g_singh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 11:50:30 PM »
Hi Nero,

I had the operation in west london, west mid hospital.
I am pretty sure a brace is standard issue?

I would contact the surgery/theatre and ask for more information mate? I am sure you havent damaged anything, surely the pain would have been an indicator.

I am unaware at present of how or when they check the graft  ???

Going in to see the surgeon on Thursday so hopefully everything will be revealed..I remember Apart from the cruciate ligament damage I also had am inkury in the medial ligaments, not sure if this operable etc but will get the answers next week!

I wouldnt worry too much if i was you nero, just relax and do as they tell you!

support