Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: My ACL Reconstruction OP: G Singh  (Read 8015 times)

Offline g_singh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: My ACL Reconstruction OP: G Singh
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 12:53:30 PM »
Update:

Day 12-
Still doing my leg raises and have also been doing calf raises facing the wall for support.
Generally feel good but do get an occasional pang/prick in the "numb zones", guess these are the nerve endings??

Offline nerospiro

• Regular Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 11:54:16 AM »
hi singh gald to see your rehab is progressing ,im on day forteen now get my staples out tomorow thank god ,havent done any leg raises yet hope they will give me the green light for them tomorow, not really getting anywhere with the flexion either but still feeling positve i know its going to take time im getting a bit stiff when i first wake tho so i got a few questions to ask the os when i see him tomorow.

Offline az_2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 11:57:38 AM »
I didn't get a brace either...nor was there mention of one. I think it's down to the surgeon more than anything else. I go back on weds. Hopefully find out more then. I don't have my first physio appiontment till the 10th April which is a long time to wait as I had the op on the 18th march. I wish I had a clearer idea of what is good/bad for my knee. I want to improve mobility and avoid the scar tissue forming but don't want to damage the graft. I can put wieght on my leg but it still fees wobbly and I'm being careful....

So fed up with not being able to do much though....

I get my stictches out on Thurs - can't wait. Let us know what exercises they ask you to start doing Spiro.

Offline g_singh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 12:35:39 PM »
Hey,

thanks guys i think we all heal differently as i doubt each operation is performed in the exact same manner!
I have been getting pain on the inside of the knee when i walk/exercise continuously, the physio had warned me of this though and said I would have to push through the pain barrier at some points. It is difficult to ignore your body i suppose!

az_2, I would not get too down, i know the fed up feeling very well! I have re-discovered listening to the radio to kill the time! The lack of flexibility in my case was due to the swelling so I would suggest that you keep taking the anti-inflammatorys and keep icing the knee continuously?

Nero i know exactly what you mean about waking up stiff (that could be miscontrued  :D). I get fed up of sleeping like a vampire in the coffin too, I will ask the Physio if its alright to sleep sideways etc (knee lying sideways) on wednesday. That would be day 14 for me too, wonder if they wil remove the stiches for me?

Keep it up guys and keep flexing those quads!

Offline nerospiro

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 05:45:04 PM »
hi all   lol didnt realised what i typed till i just read your reply omg  :-[ made me laugh tho ;D my next post i will be staple free and to the next phase i hope .

Offline az_2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 10:03:12 PM »
Sounds like we all had it done differently, you got staples Spiro and I got lots of blue stitches  :)

The incision where they took the hamstring is about 2 1/2inches long (9 stitches) bigger than I expected. AND bigger than the little bits of micropore stuff they gave me to put on it!

I've discovered last FM on the internet, best music website I've come across....try it

Is this sad or what: I'm quite looking forward to my sainsbury grocery delivery on weds morning. I should get out more!

At least the internet got invented before I buggered my knee  :)

ali

Offline nerospiro

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 07:50:48 PM »
hi all   well i had my os oppointment today was very upset id been walking without my crutches so back on them for 2 more weeks ,was also upset i was doing sqauts which is weird because my physio said they where ok. so all in all ive not got very far but he was happy with my progress all the same . did have my staples out tho that feels fantastic dont half make a difference and i only had 7 small ones ,hope everybody else is progressing nicely.next update day 15 :)

Offline g_singh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 01:10:56 PM »
Hi Guys,

Glad your physio gave you the ok nerospiro!
Az_2 the grocery deliveries made me laugh mate!  ;D

Day 14/15
I just got back from the hospital.
The dressing was removed, i think there are 3 inscisions on/around the knee, curiously 2 of the incisions did not have ANY Stitches! The third one had the ones that dissolve and were almost completely gone but im seeing the doctor tommorow to have the remainder removed!  ;)

The knee still has swelling and is not yet the same shape as the "normal" one but i was told that this is due to the fatty tissue as opposed to muscle deformation!

I have also got the flexi brace now, and it allows me to bend the knee to approx 90 degrees.
The physio also made me walk around the corridoor with minimal aid of the crutches.
I was shown a new set of exercises, mini squat with weight on the heels untill the knee hovers above the toe and then flex backwards (and clench the quads).
Another one is to walk backwards slowly as this strengthens the hamstrings!

My target is to loose the crutches over the weekend (I have promised my sister i will do a jehova convention esque thing by throwing them into the pond and walking across the garden)..praise the lord!

I have also been taking some pics on my mobile phone to track progress with swelling etc and have included them below  ;D

Day 1: Bandaged up with splint

Day 2: Removed bandages

The swelling

Day 7: Decrease in swelling

Day 12: Been doing alot of the quads exercises, icing and taking the anti-inflammatorys to reduce swelling

Day 14: robocop Got the Flexi brace

I will keep posting pictures as its a good way of tracking progress etc!

Happy recovering (so cheesy i know)  ;D

G

Offline nerospiro

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 08:13:20 AM »
hi all  wow singh that brace looks just the job does it feel comfy or does it restrict you at all i suppose thats the idea tho isnt it to stop you moving the ways you shouldnt be moving i quess, leg seems to be coming on great and hows the rom exercises going, im on day 18 now think i put myself back a bit trying to do to much to soon knee swollen up since i went to snooker sunday night without crutches by the end of the night was limping bad and i think i pulled my calf because of it , calf easing a bit know but cant seem to move this swelling also my knee cap seems to be just flaoting around in there weather thats because of the swelling i hope thats all it is ive gone back on my anti inflamatorys to try to sort it out , amazing how hard it is to do nothing apart from streching exersises and lying around all day  :).

Offline g_singh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 11:18:26 AM »
Hi everyone,

nero the brace is comfortable enough, like you said it supports the joint and ensures it doesnt move into a "wrong" position. The rom exercises are coming on fine i think now that the swelling is going down its a case of making gradual progress!

Nero the knee swelling is normal and I would not worry too much, are you continuosly icing the knee?
Good to hear you are out and about though! I would take the anti-inflammatorys regularly? The knee cap moving is because of swelling and fluid build and will go away, just keep icing and doing ur quad exercises mate.(this is what the physio told me anyway!)

Day:16
I went to see the surgeon today, they cleaned the wound and cut off the stitches, the rest should apparently dissolve in time! I can also confirm that my medial ligaments are fine and that the operation consisted of doing the ACL reconstruct and a tidy up of the cartilage  :) I also asked about the numbness and he assured me that the nerves were blocked and the feeling should come back in a few weeks to a month, heres to the healing process! ::)

Hope everyone is getting on fine!

Offline az_2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 02:45:51 PM »
Hi all,

That brace looks serious G, good photos.

I made sure I was using the crutches when the Sainsbury's delivery arrived and asked the driver to take it all through to the kitchen, she was happy at first but looked a little less charitable after taking through the beer and wine. I'm afraid to drink more than a glass anyway, as I'm wobbly enough without it.

sounds like we are all moving forward. I got rid of my stitches but I did too much afterwards and now it's swollen up more.

they really do put screws in....I wonder if i'm going to set x-ray machines off whenever i go through customs from now on, here's a photo:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=772250&l=96942&id=765294622

When I asked about what I should/shouldn't do the os said it's very hard to damage it unless you are very unlucky but i should avoid football, kite flying and drunken brawls. He's a bit of a spoil sport. Apart from that he said use the pain as an indictator. He also told me icing was a waste of time and that the graft will be weakest after 2 months because of the way the blood supply 'reconnects'

I still feel unsteady on my feet but at least I can be upright for a while now without feeling uncomfortable.

Do you thinking a gentle Kayaking at the weekend would be naughty? I can do a cunning crutch to paddle swap....I don't like sitting around all the time, I need some fresh air.

I shall try some mini squats etc as I'm not seeing the physio till next thurs, thanks for all the ideas/info
ali

Offline riderdown

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2008, 09:22:24 PM »
Hi!

Just wanted to jump in and say I am one of the strange ones with the lasting leg numbness too! My OS says it is less than 1% of people that have numbness (other than around the incision site) for longer than 30-60 days. I am at almost 4 months, and have numbness from the upper inside of my thigh, all the way down the to knee, and then on the outside of my calf. I aften feel like water is running down my leg, and yes, hot and cold often. There is also a really irritating feeling like hypersensitivity and like it hurts and itches at the same time. I hope to follow your case to see if yours goes away. My OS said 3 months max, or the nerves where damaged when they placed the femoral block.

Good luck with your recovery! It sounds like everything is progressing well!
Every person is the creation of herself, the image of her own thinking and believing.

Oct '07:complete rupture of ACL, grade 3 MCL, and damage to Meniscus, deep bone bruising of the femur and tibia. Probable Labrum/Accetabular damage in Hip

Offline g_singh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2008, 03:06:34 PM »
Hi all,

Hope everyone is getting on well?

Riderdown, glad im not the only one out there! ;) It is day 20 for me so lets hope i beat that 1% statistic and get some feeling back within the next 10 days! I can definitely relate to the irritating hypersensitivity sensations you mentioned but alas what can you do but ride the storm!

az_2 sounds like you are getting on marvelous indeed! That screw picture is awesome, really does put the operation into perspective!
The screws used are made from a form of bio degradable hard wearing plastic stuff! Apparantly as the bone heals, it will literaly close around the screw and tighten on itself so as to close gap. The screw will degrade leaving the bone holding the ligament in place (just as the lord almighty intended!).
I suppose every case is slightly different, my physio swears by R.I.C.E (rest, ice, compression and elevation). If you have swelling then icing is a must!
Az_2 did you swap the crutch for the paddle?! I would avoid taking on physical activity so early on and be content with walking for now! ;D

Day 20:
Went to my first physio session today, didnt do much except get an assesment!
I did however ditch my crutches and walk across the room unaided so I am happy with that.
Swelling is still there but an exercise regime of strengthening the quads has been encouraged.
We compared the "operated leg" to the normal one and the difference in girth and muscle build is noticable (apparently muscle starts degrading after 48 hours of the surgery!). So for now its a continued regime of leg raises ( 2 sets of 30) in a day, calf raises and quad clenching on a continual basis.

The physio said that the actual intensity of workouts builds up after 5 weeks (when the flexi brace is removed).
I will also be able to drive a car at this stage! Cant wait for that! 8)

Hope everyone is getting on fine, i will try upload a picture tonight (saucy one of my shaved leg lol)

G

Offline nerospiro

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2008, 06:30:26 PM »
hi all just a quick update on my progress, im now on day 21 went back to work today which i wasnt happy about, but need the money asked for light duties and my boss was good enough to give me the lightest jobs we had ,which was putting up fence panels on a five a side pitch, walked for about 9 hrs doing screws up all day had two half hour breaks and coped better than i thought, was unable to do my exercises during the day but going to do them after this and did them before i started work, knee was a bit swollen when i got home and leg feels tired but no dramas, think i will sleep good tonight tho :) good to see everybody progressing without to much trouble, got my first pt appointment thursday actually looking foward to it ,ill post my results when i get home good luck all .

Offline g_singh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 11:13:50 PM »
Hello everyone,

Quick update-

Day 23:
I went for a walk round the block today, watched my step around the pavement drops and felt fairly confortable (except for the numb areas which are really uncomfortable under the brace).

Have been doing my calf raises and leg raises as per norm, I have also started balancing on each leg to raise some confidence (physio gave ok on this). I do this with a chair nearby for support incase i need it!

Swelling is still there, only noticable thing so far is that when i do leg raises, after clenching the quads, my knee  cap tends to stick abit before popping into place when i relax! I have put this down to swelling etc

Nero, sounds like you have got stuck right in! Hope you are being careful at work?
How did the appointment with the personal trainer go?

I have also uploaded pictrues from day 20 below:
My aim is to keep a track of the muscle on the operate leg!

Slight leg raise, with quad clench:

Swelling is obvious and the muscle shape is clearly different in comparison.

Sitting with cold gel pack:

The muscle difference in quad and upper thigh is clear.
I can definitely see how much the muscle has degraded!

Thats it for now, my next physio session is on Wednesday and will report any new exercises or updates!

Hope everyone is getting on fine  :)

G