Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: liz's post op TTT  (Read 2112 times)

Offline lizid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
liz's post op TTT
« on: October 29, 2008, 11:11:47 PM »
Hi, so pleased I've found this site!!

Had Elmslie-Trillat procedure on August 11th on my right knee and am still on the road to recovery.  Surgery went well staying in hospital for 4days as drain had to stay in longer as I have issues with blood clotting.  Left hosp with no brace or cast as I see others have.  Didn't see my surgeon once during hospital (typical NHS!) so had no-one to ask questions to.  All I knew was not to actively bend my knee and I would start physio after 6weeks and see surgeon after 8.

Once home I could do nothing - thank god for my fiance Phil! Not too much pain but was numb for serveral days and still have skin numbness down right hand side of leg.  Bruises were horific they did not appear until a good week after sugery and they were all over the leg not just around the scar.  The bizarest was one the size of a tennis ball on my ankle! Had internal stitches and one incision so no need for nastiness of having them removed. Sat on sofa with leg permantly up it became my home as I could not get into bed.  Managed to shower after two weeks (shower is over bath so a little difficult!) with the help of Phil, and was able to do this myself by week 6 post op.

Saw consultant after 8weeks it was a blink and you'll miss it appointment where he checked my scar and kept running his finger up and down it (which bloody hurts!) and checked bend and extention of leg.  In passing he then mentioned that my screws may start to work themselves out and creates bumps on the surface!! First I heard of this but know if this happens I can have them removed so not too concerned.

Had fist physio late Sept just a consult no exercises (bend mesured 40degrees). Been having phsio every 5days or so ever since.  Bend is now at 95degrees.  Have several exercises to do and ride the excercise bike during physio - initially started on the low rider but am now on a normal bike with a high resistance am hoping to get on a real live moving bike soon.  Moved down to one crutch at week seven and by week 9no crutches however whenever I'm out I still carry a collapsable one as I still have no centre of balance and the slightest nudge can send me flying!  Am left with a slight limp which is frustrating the physio feels its as I over compesated for pain prior to op - will be reviewed again in 5weeks so I'll keep you updated.  Started swimming at week seven - no breast crawl pretty much doggy paddle but it's a start!

Not back to work yet which is even more frustrating than the limp but occupational health and my GP are erring on the side of caution.  Probably a good thing as during physio on Monday my knee started fizzing and became extremely hot.  The physio was concerned so got me to lie down to have a look within minutes I had a golf ball size lump above my knee cap.  Physio says its an inflamed patella tendon and to rest,ice and elevate - NO EXERCISE.  Going back Friday as no improvement and the pain has returned back on codine and diclophenic (have no idea how to spell this and don't want to move to get the box!) It's like a stabbing pain right in the centre of my knee - sporadic but catches me off guard. Am struggling to put full weight on right leg which is a little worrying as I have been able to do this for some time now - hopefully I'll get some answers and peace of mind on Friday.

Wow feel better now I've spilled it all out will keep this updated
Dec 06 - first dislocation
June 07 physio - which did bugger all
Oct 07 saw surgeon for consult
Feb 08 cleared for sugery
11 Aug 08 TTT performed

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
Re: liz's post op TTT
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 11:49:58 PM »
HI Lizid,

Good luck on friday. I'm sure it's just a case of verdoing things at physio etc. Take care of that knee now - and make sure you do as your OS tells you. I've been there and thought I could do more than I should have and ended up back at square one before now. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

As far as work is concernd, enjoy the time of. When you do eventually go back, after a few hours it will be like you've never been away. It may also be worth finding out if you may return on a phased return basis so you don't over strain your leg.

Diclofenac (Voltarol) is an anti-inflammatory drug whhc helps reduce inflammation. Once that has reduced suually your paind will ease  a little as inflammation can cause pain. The Codeine you have is  a pain killer and should deal with any extra pain you have once the inflammation has been dealt wtih. You may take both at the same time but for me personally, I ued to alternate it. For example, take the pain killers at 8am, midday, 4pm, 8pm etc and the anti-inflammatory drugs at 10am, 2pm, 6pm, 10pm etc. Thsi way you may get more relief. There's no hard andfast rules aboutthis but do whatever feels right for you.

Maybe you could put together a list of questions for your OS ready before your next appointment. This way your appointment will be more structured towards your requirements rather thanwhat your OS decides and you'd undersdtand better what's going on with your knee.

Take care and please keep us updated.

Laura xx
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline lizid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 06:22:17 PM »
Hi Laura

Thanks for the advice about alternating diclophenic and codine will def give that a try.  Swelling seems to have gone down a little bit from yesterday am literally doing nothing expect catch up on American TV online!!

Oc Health have already arranged a phased return initially I'll be doing just a few hours a day with my due date for return 08/11. Really hoping this can still go ahead have been off almost three mths and while I'm still getting full pay (which is oviously fab) I need to get back in there and put this whole knee thing behind me!

Nice to finally have contact with others who have had this and other knee issues my friends and family have been great but don't always fully understand it!!

Role on tomorrow and hopefully I'll get some good news!!
11 Aug 08 TTT performed

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 07:16:50 PM »
Liz  it sounds like your doing great! Did you have an injury that caused you to have the ttt?  My son had one done on Sept  16th on the left knee  and the right knee was done on Oct 23rd... (we are still in pain management phase on the 2nd  as it has only been a week...)  The surgeries were done 5.5 weeks apart, and he was just beginning to walk about with no crutches at home.... his rom in 1st knee is 129...but his quads have lost soo much.. Im sure we will be workin on that a long time....
Can you tell that the TTT has worked for you? Do you feel more stable... I keep trying to ask my son but all I get is a shoulder shrug.. as most 13 year olds do... It seems that when they become teenagers...they forget how to communicate....lol   

I think its great that you are getting full pay....one less thing to worry about during your recovery.... Good luck.. and I hope you get all your questions answered at your appt.... Make a list...and dont leave till they are all answered...  Hoping you are pain free...... Hugs   Lori

Offline lizid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 09:34:46 PM »
Hi Lori

Wow your son is just 13 and has had two ttt?!! Poor boy.  Tell him I can already see the different I am definately more stable even with the current set back.  I didn't have a trauma I just bent down under the Xmas tree boxing day 2006 and it 'went'.  Wasn't aware I had dislocated it  - suffered a lot of pain so wnt to local walk in centre who were rubbish and refered me to GP.  Had X-ray with GP early Jan 07 and got results back April 07.  GP said it looked fine and refered me for physio.  Physio very very painful and my knee was constantly swollen.  By now my knee was dislocated fairly regularly so I asked to see a surgeon and now here I am!  In the lead up to the OP it became so bad I walked with a stick and rarely left the house. 

Even though I'm still in the recovery phase I am already doing so much more that I could before.  I've done a little shopping and often wonder into town (about a mile away) I can really feel the difference.  The reason for this is as I'm getting married next august and really really want to walk down the aisle with no wobbling and so far I'm on target!!

Best wishes to you and your son will keep this updated!xxx
11 Aug 08 TTT performed

Offline lizid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 06:28:30 PM »
Saw physio today he seemed to think the screws were causing the issue but after an xray they've come back clear - in right place and don't appear to have moved.  A little baffling but on antibiotics as a precaution other than that rest ice and elevation no physio again until the 11th Nov.  Glad it doesn't appear to be anything serious obviously just been over doing it!!!
11 Aug 08 TTT performed

Offline kelly29uk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 08:39:43 PM »
thanks thats helpful..i had no idea about the length of time in hosptal at all or the fact of a drain will be put in. My surgeon is fantastic but very unorganised  :)

i don;t feel as worried now but still aprehensive but pain cannot be any worse than i am in now . In many ways i cannot wait for friday to arrive so at least i know i can start to walk normally again and have no more pain.

Thank you very much

Kelly

Offline rouprak

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 06:49:43 PM »
Hi Liz,

How are you doing? NOt had any posts for a while and just thought would drop you a hello! I am at the beginning phase of my recovery but going ok so far! I had a fantastic surgeon in London, howvere the NHS aftercare in London was rubbish and they discharged me and only me phoning up asking what i can, and more importantly CANT do, gets me the information i need. I dont care if they think i am annoying! They discharged me and told me not to do anythinf for 6 weeks! Yet i spoke to one tof them today and she said i needed to get my ROM to 90 degrees by 6 weeks! Hmm!

Anyway, i am in the same predicament as you with work! I am reaching the 3 month off likeability and is hard! I initially told work would be 4 weeks, then was 6 and now is a definite 8 (which take me to Christmas) so i am hoping to be back on 2nd January ready for a new year and new knee!

Anyway love to hear your news and hope the pain is ok and manageable. I am just comin
g off the codeine but still on the diclofenac.

Take care and hope you well

George x
1992 - Growing pains!!!
1996 - ACL injury skiing
2003 - Charity wlak 60km! AGONY, MISTAKE
2003-2008 PHYSIO
24 Oct 08 - TTT/LR
Jan 2010- screw removal, arthroscopy and chondroplasty

Offline lizid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 11:47:22 PM »
Hi George!

Sorry not been on in a while hope your recovery is going well.  I would query the 90 degree bend as I was told this was a definate no no.  No active bending at all - however, from what I understand there is no 100% way of completed this surgery and after care some have casts or braces some have nothing very confusing if you ask me!!  Am now over my infection but am still on diclophenic as a precaution back at work which is fab just doing a few hours a day with a view to full time after Xmas.  Had physio today and found out the screws are on the move so they may need removing but no movement on this yet just need to keep an eye on them!!

Good luck with your recovery keep me posted!xxx
11 Aug 08 TTT performed

Offline rouprak

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 05:29:23 PM »
Hey Liz ;D

Ooh bthe screws are  on the move! Darstadly things! They are meant to be there to help! Do you know when you will need them out -surely not for a while yet as you still healing?

I am now at 65 degrees which is great but not allowed above 90 before 6-8 weeks. So concentrating a lot on keeping the flexion but also doing quad pumps and lots of calf raises etc.

Each person seems to have a different prog to follow and so best to just floow that but nice to hear advice from other people! I tried the ' fairy liquid' in an ice bag method and was sitting at home on my mums white sofa and could smell this lavender stuff and thought what is that - then realised the stupid ice bag has leaked all over me and the sofa! So smelt of lavender fairy liquid for ages! So ditched that idea and stuck with the frozen peas!!! My dog tries to get them off me! Ha ha

I am jealous you are back at work! I am not back until Jan 2nd as that will be about 2 months. How long were you off beforfe you went back?

I live in London and so will be a bit nervous as go through Victoria station but hey should be ok just gotta be careful.  Are you back to driving yet?

Hope all is going well and glad your infection is all cleared up now etc etc!

Take care

George x
1992 - Growing pains!!!
1996 - ACL injury skiing
2003 - Charity wlak 60km! AGONY, MISTAKE
2003-2008 PHYSIO
24 Oct 08 - TTT/LR
Jan 2010- screw removal, arthroscopy and chondroplasty

Offline lizid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 10:23:58 PM »
Hi George! How's it all going are you back at work? Sorry not been on in ages my fiance has been called up to Afghanistan so it's been a bit hectic!  Things with knee good now 5mths post op and was signed off from Physio last week.  Back to work full time and having no major issues - swimming three times a week which really helps, only get a niggle if I've been walking for a long distance or stand still for more than an hour.  The only real thing that I can't do is kneel (which is a bit frustrating but managale).  Seeing consultant next mth regarding screws one is now quite visable (looks like a pea trying to escape!).  Hope your recovery is going well x
11 Aug 08 TTT performed