Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 5 weeks post-op, TTT, ACL recon  (Read 3671 times)

Offline Marriah

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • I Love Le-Lu!
5 weeks post-op, TTT, ACL recon
« on: July 27, 2003, 08:59:33 AM »
I was jumping of the side of a big truck over a year ago, and my foot got caught in the railing, spiral fracture, and who knows what else. I spent the next year explaining to my ortho that something else is wrong, or the bone healed wrong or something. Toward the end of this time, I spent 2 months looking for a second opinion, but no one in the whole region would have me bcause I'd already had surgury by my doc (a scope).

I finally went in one appointment and told him I'd been looking for someone else to see because I didnt think I should be in so much pain after all this time. He took it well, and ended up handing my case over to another doctor in his own practice.

I like my new doc. After reviewing everything on my first appt, he told me I needed an osteotomy. He wanted me to come back in two weeks, during which time he would discuss my case with other docs. They agreed with him, so on the 10th of this month i went into the hospital for surgery.

Heres what I ended up having done: osteotomy (this is where they cut your bone almost all the way through, and in my case, added donor bone to lengthen that side) I had a plate put over that to secure it, and have a total of 6 screws in that side of my knee. On the other side of my knee, I ended up having an ACL reconstruction.

I was in horrible pain, and was in the hospital for 4 days. As soon as I woke up, I regreted my decision to have this surgery. I will not be walking on it for 3 months. I also have major depression, and a couple weeks before surgery, I had to go off the meds I was on because they were causing really horrible headaches. Then, trying to get things done and ready, I didnt make it to the psychiatrist to be put on something else. So now my depression is back full force, I'm in pain and I cry all the time. I cant stand this.

My husband has many health problems and is really having a hard time helping me. A day after I got home, I had to move myself downstairs where my mother in law is, just so she could help me. I was in so much pain I dreaded just getting up to go to the bathroom. I would go all day with nothing to eat, because my husband was upstairs sleeping, too stressed to even come check on me. I really hated him then. Well, I'm back upstairs now with him, and he's taking it a bit better, I'm in a little less pain and I can get up and get myself something to eat sometimes.

I just hurt. It just all really stinks. Because of his health, my husband doesnt work outside the home. I'm not working now, of course. If we didnt live with his mother (and his 30 year old brother, who has never moved out ) I dont know where we'd be right now. So we have no money, just food stamps to buy our food. I have to borrow money from my parents to get food for our pets. and now i wont even be walking for another 2 and a half months. I'm scared.

Well, sorry for going on and on and on. This is the most miserable i have been my whole 23 years.
:'(
« Last Edit: August 20, 2003, 05:06:23 AM by Marriah »
May 02 nondisplaced spiral fracture, rt leg, below knee,incompetant dr.,now I have a piece of bone sticking up at the top of tibia, scope Nov 02...July 10, 03 had osteotomy,a plate,6 screws,ACL recon

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Someday
Re: A Little Over 2 Weeks Post-Op - doing badly  
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2003, 07:27:19 PM »
I'm sorry things are going so badly for you. I've learned that pain and depression are very common together. I've also been battling both for a long time. Maybe your doctor can prescribe something for your pain. How can anyone not be depressed if you hurt?

I was one that didn't like pain meds because of side effects, but now I've adjusted and don't think I could stand not having something to make my life better the way they do.

I hope you can find some relief. I try to live one day at a time and not get too involved in what might have been.
Good luck and you are not alone. God bless, Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2003, 07:51:10 PM »
Sorry you are in so much and so depressed. Believe me, we all know what you mean. But it has to be an extra burden since you are unable to get the support you need from your family. That being said, an osteotomy (on this forum, people call it a TTT) is a huge surgery. You should expect to be in pain two weeks post-op. But it will get better. The first two weeks are the worst. That being said, your doctor should be treating your pain. There must be something you can take that will help. Don't let this slide. Call both your psychiatrist and your OS and get the pain meds you need! Good luck.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Marriah

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • I Love Le-Lu!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2003, 12:16:41 AM »
Hi guys, thanks for responding.  I am on pain meds, Percocet 5's, for the past two weeks, I was taking them 2 every 3 or 4 hours.  The biggest problem (aside from them not working as well as I want) is that I have run out of them twice so far.  The first time was a week post op, and i called the nurse line of my doc.  It took over a day, and guess what they called in?  Tylenol 3's!  They didnt even help before my surgery.  Fortunatly i had an appt 2 days later, but i was seriously miserable.  This time i ran out was on wed and i didnt have a refill available till today (thank god)  and i spent two days calling asking for something till today, and they never did ANYTHING.  That really makes me angry.

Since all this has happened, I know it has made my depression worse.  (I've had it since i was about 12).  Pain is harmful in more ways than one, huh.  I was able to get an appt to my psych quickly, and am going in tomorrow.  I really cant wait.

Janet, I always wondered what a TTT was, thanks for telling me :)

m
May 02 nondisplaced spiral fracture, rt leg, below knee,incompetant dr.,now I have a piece of bone sticking up at the top of tibia, scope Nov 02...July 10, 03 had osteotomy,a plate,6 screws,ACL recon

Offline Jax

• Regular Poster
  • I REALLY hate my knee!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2003, 02:48:53 AM »
Hi marriah,

So sorry to hear that you are struggling a bit at the mo. Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and I know how you feel.

I had a TTT, LR and other stuff just over 2 months ago. The first 2 weeks were dreadful and there were a few tears I can tell you! I had to move back to live with my parents (I'm 24 and haven't lived at home for 6 years) and had to leave my job, I'm a teacher. I haven't got a job at the start of the new term in September and am seriously worried about money and getting my life back on track.

BUT, it IS getting easier. I'm bending it more now (although my calf muscle is protesting loudly about that!) and putting more weight on it. My parents have gone away for 2 weeks so I'm having to cope on my own. It can be done. I know that it will take time but it will get better. I know it will for you too. The pain is horrible I know but it's a big surgery. If you can get that under control you'll be on the right track. Some doctors really don't understand do they? I think they should make it compulsory for surgeons to have the procedure themselves so they can feel what it's like!!

I really hope that you can get this sorted and feel a bit better. Am thinking of you and wishing you all the best. Let me know if I can do anything to help or if you just wanna talk about it.

Lots of love Jax x
Dislocation of R knee 93; Several more 93-95; LR 94; more dislocations/maltracking
Fracture kneecap 96; LR 96; Yet more troubles
TTT and LR May 03. Jul 04 - oh god, the other one has gone wrong now!

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2003, 03:59:12 PM »
{{{{{{Marriah}}}}}}}

Hi--you have been through a lot and I feel for you--your post put many of my current issues in my mind.

I can talk about the depression some though.  I developed depression as a response to chronic pain after years of this.  It is a physical ailment--and there are some things I learn almost every day about it.  One thing I learned is the way that these meds work.  My doc considered changing my medication and to do that, she needed to wean me off of the medication I had been taking and phase it out, before considering the new one.  She cut my dose in half and it was four days from #ell for me.  Then we reconsidered and decided that the thing I really needed was my dose increased.  You--went off of meds cold turkey--and I cannot imagine how that effected you.  Please, please get this addressed ASAP.  You deserve that.

I have not had your procedure--but in what I've learned from this site, it is a big one and being two weeks into it is like being two weeks into mine.  Things should start looking up soon...I'll keep you in my prayers.

Good luck and get better soon, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Marriah

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • I Love Le-Lu!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2003, 04:12:25 AM »
Hi everyone, well I went to the psychiatrist today.  She is one of the worst doctors I know, but since I have state issued insurance, its where I have to go for now.  I have had clinical depression since I was about 12, and I was actually diagnosed and medicated when I was about 15.  My psych now basically acts like I am just getting 'sad' over my situation (we are living with mother in law).  She tells me everytime i come that she cant give me a magic pill to make everything better.  Today she said it, and I was this close to beating her with my crutches.  But she finally agreed to put me on something I havent tried- Effexor.  I've been through many medications, and many dont work, and a lot of them I have bad reactions to.  So I am praying this one is 'it'.

Oh, and Sylvia, Ive made a promise to myself that I wont go cold turkey again.  The physical withdrawl symptoms were really bad, not to mention emotionally.  It took weeks before my body wasnt hurting in some way.

I am feeling a little better (emotionally) now that I know I've got some meds that may help.  Physically, I'm in pain, but I'm dealing with it, and I'm down to one Percocet 5 ever 4 hours or so, instead of two.

Jax, I know its possible for someone to do this by themselves.  Aside from taking care of myself, I have 6 cats out in a cattery, one that lives in the kitchen (he has fel. AIDS, and cant be around anyone else), 2 that live here in my room with me, 2 rats, a mouse and a bunny.  (WHile I was in the hospital my teddy bear hamster, Sirius Black, died.)  I am a bit obsessive about cleaning, and keeping things the right way.  Its stressful to see things dirty, and stressful knowing that I'm likely the only one who cares or will even do something about it.  I know there are people out there who are perfectly capable of handling all this with smiles, I'm just not one of them.

Offline Marriah

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • I Love Le-Lu!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2003, 09:41:57 AM »
I cant believe I forgot, I have 2 dogs too!

Thanks for the good news about the Effexor, I know its different with each person, but its still nice to hear that its doing good for someone.

Love, m
« Last Edit: July 29, 2003, 09:43:18 AM by Marriah »

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2003, 10:45:09 AM »
Hi Marriah,

It sure sounds like a step in the right direction towards helping you tom juggle all that is going on.  That psych sure has some questionable bedside manner--I mentioned to my therapist that my pt JOKINGLY said that part of my knee problem could be that I'd been lazy, and he hit the roof, defending me and my actions and that he didn't think it was an appropriate way to talk to me.  I was genuinely touched by that.

I'll keep you in my prayers as you work through the layers you have to deal with working towards feeling better.

Hugs, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline ohiostatemel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2003, 07:08:16 PM »
Hey there Marriah,
A few years back, my dr. put me on Zoloft, which, in turn, made me a complete nutcase (no sleep, cleaning all night long- and I mean CLEANING- rearranging furniture ets....ever see "Something about Mary"?  Thats what it was like).  Anyhow, after that, I was switched to effexor which i was on for a year- it worked wonderfully.  I am thinking of you and hope that it helps you out.

Offline Marriah

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • I Love Le-Lu!
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2003, 10:52:32 AM »
Hi everybody...I just spent 10 minutes writing you guys and I just erased it.   ::)  So here I go again....

First, I cant thank you all enough for taking the time to write me.  Its a wonderful thing to look forward to.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Emotionally, I'm having a pretty good day.  I'm sure its not that the Effexor is working, I think its just that I know I've got help now.

Physically, I'm a little worried.  I've been having some really sharp pains in the areas of my surgery.  Ive had to take more than the usual amount of pain meds, and it hasnt even helped.  

A Question:  How is it that the area of my knee that is numb, itch?  And then when I try to scratch it, god help me, I cant!  Its driving me crazy.

My mom has talked me into coming over tomorrow and spending the day with them.  She's taking time off (she has her own window cleaning business) cause she had some dental work today.  My dad, who had a traumatic brein injury 2 years ago, is having a good week and is looking forward to seeing me.  I think, because of the way I sometimes feel about myself, I am surprised to find that people still like, and even love me.

Sylvia, hand on to that therapist with your life!

Mel, I tried Zoloft, and it made me feel alright, but started giving me awful headaches I couldnt get rid of.  I'm glad youve found something thats working for you, its very encouraging.

Well, better go, my leg is starting to throb from sitting like this....

:-*Marriah

Offline Marriah

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • I Love Le-Lu!
Re:  5 Weeks Post-Op, ttt
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2003, 05:05:43 AM »
Hi everyone.  Its been a long time since ive updated.  the pain is getting better, and the doc says its healing well.  I dont know how he can see anything.  I have a plate and 6 screws all jumbled together, plus the new bone.  It looks a mess.

i do have one question, though.  is it common not to have PT at this time?  Its been 5 weeks since my surgery, and I wont be going back to the doc for a month.  I may get to start walking at that time, just a bit.  i just thought it was strange to have no pt at all.  he says they cant really do anything for me because he doesnt want any weight on it at all.

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Someday
Re: 5 weeks post-op, TTT, ACL recon
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2003, 06:09:26 AM »
Hi Marriah,
I've had a HTO and now I've surgery in Mar. because my HTO never healed and I have never been referred to a physical therapist. From what I've picked up on the internet it seems some doctors send their patients to PT after an osteotomy and some don't.
Good luck in your recovery. Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2003, 10:01:39 PM »
Marriah~
    I have just been reading all your posts and I wanted to wish you good luck with everything. I can only imagine what it must be like for you. I will keep youi in my prayers and I will be sending happy thoughts your way   Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT
10 LR'S    ONE MEDIAL RELEASE
STAPH INFECTION.....MANY MONTHS IN HOSPITAL

Offline Marriah

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • I Love Le-Lu!
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2003, 05:38:53 PM »
Hi everyone, thanks Jillian and Larry for your good wishes.  My next appt is on the 15th of this month (sept ) and I am hoping with everything I have that the doc will allow me to start walking.

I really have an increased sympathy for anyone going through major surgery.  My doctor made it sound like it was nothing, but apparently he has never had anything done to him.

lee_c

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2003, 03:29:59 PM »
Hi Marriah
I just read your write up of surgery from july and it seemed similar to where I am. I had osteotomy (TTT?) a week ago today and due to the ACL reconstruction when the TTT has healed (18 -24 weeks ?)

I wondered how you are some months on? As you were certainly going through a tough time..  I do hope things have improved for you.

support