Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: My 4 month ordeal  (Read 729 times)

Offline creep

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
My 4 month ordeal
« on: March 15, 2008, 07:53:51 PM »
Here we go I will do it short as possible.  97 had ACL reconstruction R Knee.  Since the surgery I had normal life as far as doing what I wanted other than running.  Oct. 07 knee locked up while working and x-ray revealed severe arthritis  Nov. 2nd had it scoped then I got a staph infection.  Nov. 6th had another scope to get staph washed out.  Got a call the day before Thanksgiving that the staph was still present another cleaning day after Thanksgiving.  This time the knee was opened up and hardware (screws) was removed from the ealier ACL surgery.
After that I started PT  range ROM was only 20-87 degrees.  So we done a MUA range only increased only 5-7 degree.
Went to another OS he did an MRI showed I had scar tissue so on Feb 2nd the knee was opened up again and scar tissue removed and 3 euflexxa injections in the following 3 weeks.  ROM got better 14-107 and seems to have stalled from there.
 The Knee is still painful while using it  and stiff especially while bending with weight on it.  I've been on pain killers for 4 month :P anywhere to 4- 5 a day, no work in 4 months, disability pay is only 50% of income and credit has been shot and I'm a competitive cyclist, so no training or racing since Oct 31rst.
What gets me aggravated is the OS and the PT has different opinions on things.  Who do you listen too?  I have had 4 surgeries in 4 months so maybe I'm progressing the way I should.  I don't feel that way Here is some photos after the 2nd surgery.  http://grayhawkgrinders.blogspot.com/2007/11/when-staph-comes-into-your-world.html  and the last.  http://grayhawkgrinders.blogspot.com/2008/02/progress.html 
Any advice would be good or if any body else has an ordeal like this let me know.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 07:58:56 PM by creep »

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: My 4 month ordeal
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 11:05:58 PM »
In general you listen to your OS. They are the ones that went to medical school, they are the ultimate experts. Physical Therapists are supposed to do what the OS tells them to do. However you don't say what your OS and PT are differing about so it's kind of hard to answer the question.

Offline creep

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: My 4 month ordeal
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 01:15:15 AM »
the main thing was the CPM the OS wanted me to use it and I did.  The PT thought it would be bad for my knee to use it as much as the OS said.  The PT said only use it 20 minutes a day.  Also the PT said only use Ice 10 minutes at a time.  I was also sent home after the last surgery with a GAME READY ice machine ( circulates ice water through a sleeve wrapped around my leg.)  Never told the PT about that I knew what he would say about that.  another thing is the PT and me are both cyclist and rode together on occasion so I consider him a friend.
 I'm going to try a different PT next week to see if the other PT rehabs my leg different.  I just want to get my life back to normal.  I'm tired of limping and being not as active as I was.

support