Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Contusion - Femoral Chondral  (Read 1907 times)

Offline lawyer400meters

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Contusion - Femoral Chondral
« on: March 14, 2008, 04:57:31 PM »
Hello all.  I am new here and just have some questions about my injury.  Around Christmas I began to develop pain in my right knee.  I took off for a week, and when I tried to run it still hurt.  I took off for a month and returned to running and the pain returned. 

I then saw a doctor and got an MRI done.  MRI shows all ligaments, meniscus, and cartilage intact.  It also showed effusion and a contusion on the femoral chondral.  There was never any trauma involved, so I do not know where the contusion could have come from.

At any rate, I am now going on 3 months of not being able to run.  Orhtopedist put me on 800mg of Ibuprofen, 3 times a day for a month.  I will go back on April 1st, and he said he may want to scope it if it is no better.

I guess all I am looking for is some advice or input.  It only hurts when I run and for a few days after I run.  When I don't run there is little pain.  In fact it only comes if I try to bend my knee as far as possible.  Will this ever heal?

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Bedas Atelier
Re: Contusion - Femoral Chondral
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »
Well, for the first, if youre experiencing pain whilst running, then the obvious thing to do is stop runing whilst you experience pain! Also, when we experience pain, it is a warning sign that somethings wrong with you, and your knee is telling you now that theres something up and you need to see an OS!! Really, , I would have thought it was obvious that you shouldnt run??? Sorry to be so rude to say it, but I know that if I had a pain that was worsened by doing something, then i would stop doing what it is that developes the pain!! But what it could sound like is, youve maybe got a bit of arthritis playing up if you havent experienced any injury. i dont know where you could have gotten the contusion, but it can come simply from tripping over something and bracing a fall.
advice : DONT run
Hope all goes well for you, the best of wishes,
Beda
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'84 osteochondritis dissecans
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
all TKR's loosened & failed
2008 wait for Final arthrodesis
constant pain

Offline April28

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Contusion - Femoral Chondral
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 04:05:35 PM »
HI,

Don't always trust MRI results?  You should push 4 a Cat Scan or some other type of imaging .  Their is obviously more damage that didn't show up on the MRI!  You should probally have a scope 4 a definite diagnosis.  My MRI should partial ACL tear , which was actually a full ruptured ACL that required surgery.  I think Orthopedic Doctors rely on MRI's 2 much.  GOOD LUCK with your knee issue thats going on.

APRIL
1995 Patella Femoral Syndrome Diagnosed/Blown ACL &PCL- Had surgery plus Lateral Release
1997 Multiple Dislocations/ Cartilage torn /Arthroscopic repair for cartilage defect
2002 Blown out aCL again playing soccer/new cadeavor placed
2008 MPFL Repaired open surgery-6 month rehab
upcoming surgery!