Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACI date set  (Read 15384 times)

dileigh

Re: ACI date set
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2008, 11:33:46 PM »

Around what I think is the TTT site, or if I accidentally put weight on that leg.

Diana

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2008, 01:53:36 AM »
John,
I had a lot of calf pain after my surgery, particulary when I would stand up and crutch around.  It was unbearable at times and for awhile I was concerned that I had a blood clot.  My OS said that calf pain was normal after this kind of surgery.  I ended up taking a low dose of an antidepressant for a few days to a week which inhibited the nerve fibers and decreased the pain.  I'm sure you are already aware that calf pain can be an indicator of a blood clot, so don't hesitate to call your OS if you are concerned.   
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2008, 03:31:25 AM »
They actually already did an ultrasound to rule out a blood clot.  But yes, when I stand up, it hurts like heck!

Thanks!!

John
L knee meniscal repair- 6/89
L knee scope- 11/95
L knee ACL reconstruction- 2/96
L knee scope (included a lateral release, cartilage biopsy, and the ever fun bone shaving)- 1/08
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08
L knee scope/manipulation- 7/08

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2008, 03:07:58 PM »
John,
Glad to hear you don't have a blood clot!!!  At least you don't have to worry about that.  I feel for you because I remember how bad the pain was when I was standing.  All I can tell you is that is DOES get better over time!!  I couldn't stand for more than 30-60 seconds without being in extreme pain.  The low dose of an antidepressant really helped me and I only had to take it for a very short time so it might be worth a call to your OS to see if he can prescribe something to help you with the calf pain.  It is really annoying because it really keeps you stuck in bed or on the couch.  I used to only get up to go to the bathroom and that was it because the pain was that bad.  I couldn't do anything for myself because of the calf pain.  My poor fiance had to wait on me hand and foot.  I hope it starts to get better for you!
LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2008, 03:58:52 PM »
Casey-

I know it will get better with time.  I vividly remember how bad standing hurt when I had my ACL surgery.  I suppose I am surprised by the calf pain.  If there is ppain in my knee when I satand, it is masked by the shin and calf pain. 

You're correct, the pain does affect me decision(s) on whether or not I will get off the bed/couch!  I will say that earlier today, I experienced little pain.  Must have been a fluke!!  We'll see how it progresses.  I go back to the OS next week so I'll ask.

Thanks for the response!

John

L knee scope- 11/95
L knee scope (included a lateral release, cartilage biopsy, and the ever fun bone shaving)- 1/08
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08

Offline djs60

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2008, 06:17:49 PM »
John,

Most of my pain post op was at the TTO site.  I had a _lot_ of pain with standing for about 10 days, then it went away quickly.

Dan
3/06 left knee arthroscopy - grade IV lateral trochlea defect
chondroplasy & removal of loose bodies
1/07 left knee arthroscopy/cartilage biopsy
4/27/07 left knee trochlea & patella ACI with TTO

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2008, 03:12:54 PM »
Dan,

I go for my post op with the OS tomorrow.  I don't know exactly where they cut for the TTO.  However, I think the pain I have is lower than the site-- the spot where I have most of my shin/calf pain is appox 3 inches below my knee and it's also bruised.   My guess is that my leg was being supported with something and that's why I am in pain.  It is getting better, which I am happy about.

I continue to be surprised at the lack of swelling and bruising.  While I have very little sweeling, I think it's exaggerated because of the muscle atrophy I already have.  I'm behind the curve more than most were because I had an extensive scope in January and I was just getting the muscle mass and tone back when I went back in for the ACI/TTO.

Maybe somebody will answer this before I go back to the OS tomorrow-  How many were told this was a place holder until they became a better candidate for a TKR? I had some significant cartilage loss so maybe I am worse off than most but while I was told I would be much better off after the recovery was complete. I wonder how long this is expected to last?  After 5 knee surgeries on the same knee, I am getting sick and tired of it.   
L knee scope- 11/95
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08

Offline zoeygrl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2008, 05:16:30 PM »
Hi! I just had my aci and hto two and a half weeks ago.  My OS told me that this procedure would buy me another 7-10 years before a TKR would be needed.   I am very surprised at the lack of swelling and pain with mine too.  Reading so many of the posts about how bad some people have had it makes me feel very lucky that I am doing so well.  I am in my cpm 6 hours a day and using the muscle stim machine to help with the quad atrophy.  I also have a list of 7 exercises to do to help keep my muscles in shape.  I know I'm likely to lose a good deal of muscle but if I can crank up the stim machine I get a really good contraction.   Do you have one of those? it's great really.   

I hope to be back on my feet in another 6 weeks, no weight bearing until then.   good luck at your doctor's appt tomorrow! 

1989 first arthroscopic surgery to clean up knee
1992 2nd arthroscopic surgery for clean up of cartlidge flakes
1/24/08 harvesting of cells for carticel transplant
3/27/08 HTO and Carticel transplant

dileigh

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2008, 07:50:12 PM »
Most definitely had bruising, but the swelling for the most part has gone down a lot in 3 weeks. Most of it was gone last week, even the ankle swelling.

I think some of it's from being in the CPM where your knee is up for so long that helps keep the swelling down.  I use my iceman alot too.

I wasn't told that this was a placeholder for a TKR, but I got the impression from a lot of other places that it was. Good luck at the OS today.

Diana

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2008, 01:15:53 AM »
Hi! I just had my aci and hto two and a half weeks ago.  My OS told me that this procedure would buy me another 7-10 years before a TKR would be needed.   I am very surprised at the lack of swelling and pain with mine too.  Reading so many of the posts about how bad some people have had it makes me feel very lucky that I am doing so well.  I am in my cpm 6 hours a day and using the muscle stim machine to help with the quad atrophy.  I also have a list of 7 exercises to do to help keep my muscles in shape.  I know I'm likely to lose a good deal of muscle but if I can crank up the stim machine I get a really good contraction.   Do you have one of those? it's great really.   

I hope to be back on my feet in another 6 weeks, no weight bearing until then.   good luck at your doctor's appt tomorrow! 

Zoey-

You're on a more aggressive rehab program than I am.  I had two implant site plus the TTO so they are being a bit more conservative with me.  I'm a friggin pro at rehab I've done this so many times, so I think I'll be fine in the end.

7-10 years huh?  Well I know I will need one at some point, but I'm 37 and was hoping I'd make it well beyond 10 years.  My profession doesn't help, so I'm probably on the lower side of that range!

Anyway, we'll see what happens at the doc tomorrow.
L knee scope- 11/95
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2008, 01:20:00 AM »
Most definitely had bruising, but the swelling for the most part has gone down a lot in 3 weeks. Most of it was gone last week, even the ankle swelling.

I think some of it's from being in the CPM where your knee is up for so long that helps keep the swelling down.  I use my iceman alot too.

I wasn't told that this was a placeholder for a TKR, but I got the impression from a lot of other places that it was. Good luck at the OS today.

Diana

Diana-

I haven't really swelled at all, which is fine by me.  I had some swelling down to the ankle, but it was gone in less than a week.  I certainly believe the CPM has been a huge help.  I get to increase the flexion setting starting this Thursday, which I am looking forward to.  I can easily achieve he 30 degrees they want me at now.  I was there day one on the machine.  I get to go up to 60 deg.  I don't think I'll get that right away, but I hope I can be there within a few days of trying.

John
L knee scope- 11/95
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2008, 01:24:19 AM »
Hi John,

Glad to hear that your calf pain is a little bit better.  Before my surgery, I asked if ACI was a surgery just to buy time until a TKR and the answer that I got was that it was not.   I'm curious to hear what your OS has to say about it tomorrow.  Good luck with your appointment.
LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2008, 03:31:55 PM »
Well it's interesting.  We have a "visiting" OS from Fort Riley, KS who assisted with my surgery.  My OS gave me a very positive long term outlook, but the other OS did not in the sense that I could avoid a TKR in the future.  My guess is my OS feels there are long term benefits to this and the other OS thinks I have done so much damage to my knee coupled with the fact that the Army isn't necessarily gentle on the body that I probably won't avoid a TKR. 

One downside to the Army subculture is not showing weakness.  Admittedly, I have probably let some of the pain (indicators that something was wrong) go on too long.  I will have to make some mental approach changes to how I attack the rest of my career.  My days of jumping out of planes are done and I will probably avoid running as much as possible.  Without getting into the menutia, I may (finally) ask to have a "profile" against running, which I always viewed as "giving up".  I actually enjoy running and I'm not that bad of a runner (prior to surgery, I ran the 2-mile portion of our PT test in 13:45).  However, I'm only 37, I'd like to still be active after I leave the Army.  I know my son expects me to be!

Well, off to the OS.
L knee scope- 11/95
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2008, 02:08:33 AM »
Well it was a pretty good appoitment.  My wound has healed well and I had the staples removed (all 28 of them!).  My doc evaluated my calf and wasn't concerned as it's a common experience.  He also said he was pleased with the lack of swelling. Getting back to the calf-- I have noticed a significant decrease in pain from just this morning.  Plus standing is no longer accompanied with a ton of pain.

I can start progressing further with ROM on the CPM starting Thursday.  The next goal is to achieve 60 deg.  I "cheated" and set it to 35 deg this afternoon and I can achieve that with ease.  Though I am pretty certain I won't get 60 degrees right away. 

I head back to the PT next week for a round of measurements.  My goal is to be a 0 deg flexion as I was only able to achieve 5 deg last week.  I have been working on that, plus the patella mobs so we'll see.  My flexion-- we'll see how that goes based off of the CPM.

The atrophy is certainly kicking in.  Having been locked in a brace for an extended time in the past, I know what I am in store for.  Can't wait  ;D

Well, that's it.  Take care.... John
L knee scope- 11/95
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08

dileigh

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2008, 03:22:23 AM »
Glad to hear all is going well, and the staples came out.  I know you're ready to up the CPM.

Diana