Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACI date set  (Read 15386 times)

dileigh

Re: ACI date set
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 08:26:10 PM »
Hope all went well on Thursday  John

Diana

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 01:54:59 PM »
Hey everybody-

I was released ffrom the hospital yesterday afternoon.  Surgery went very well.  I had the two implantation sites and the TTO. 

Surprisingly, I am not really in a lot of pain, which does surprise me because I was in so much pain after my last scope in January.  They managed the pain very well while I was in the hospital and I am simply convinced the first 72 hours of pain management are crucial.  I was on an epidural until Saturday and actually decreased the additional meds because I didn't need them.

I will be 6 weeks of NWB and right now I am 0-30 deg ROM on the CPM.  I have absolutely no issues getting to 30 degrees.  I go to the PT in the morning so hopefully I will be given some more specific CPM goals.

John
L knee meniscal repair- 6/89
L knee scope- 11/95
L knee ACL reconstruction- 2/96
L knee scope (included a lateral release, cartilage biopsy, and the ever fun bone shaving)- 1/08
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08
L knee scope/manipulation- 7/08

dileigh

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 03:18:43 PM »
Glad to hear you are home, I was starting to get worried.  Wow, PT already?  Mine won't start until the 6 week mark. Just CPM and quad mobilizations so far. Of course, I only have 20 visits so there won't be a lot of formal PT.

Since you had an epidural, did they put you on the CPM in the hospital at all?

Diana

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 04:15:38 PM »
Diana,

My PT appointment is a standard appointment they give us post operatively (here at Fort Drum anyway).  I suspect I won't be doing any rehab exercises minus the CPM machine.  I am not allowed to do any quad exercises, even now.  I assume that's due to the TTO also being done. 

They did not have me on the CPM machine at the hospital.  It was delivered to my house prior to my surgery.  When I got home yesterday, I hopped into it and had about 6 hours total of CPM time.  I have already done a 2 hour session today and I will be getting back into it within the hour.

With my epidural, the dosage was not to the max limit.  I had control of my legs.  I was "sort of numb"- I still had to take oral meds.  I actually decreased the amount of oral meds prior to having the epidural removed and was able to stay on a lower level of pain meds after removal.

As of right now, my pain level is pretty low and I am not on a heavy dose of meds.  So I am pretty happy about that.  I'll take the small victory today because I know there will be tough days ahead.  But not being in a lot of pain is really helping with my positive outlook.  I expected this to be worse than my ACL reconstruction and it's nowhere near what I went through then.  Life is good!
L knee scope- 11/95
L knee scope (included a lateral release, cartilage biopsy, and the ever fun bone shaving)- 1/08
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08

dileigh

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 06:56:16 PM »

It wasn't bad for me either until I really had to start increasing on the CPM.  Hoping it will be better after the staples come out tomorrow.

I'm also having a hard time doing 8 hours.  I can do 6 or 7, but can't manage to get that last time in.  Hope you have better luck.

Diana

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 12:29:35 PM »
Had my post op PT appointment yesterday.  I have about 5 degrees of extension to regain.  So the 'ole heel propped up on a blanket to allow my leg to hang is in my future.  Patella movement seemed fine and since the swelling has significantly gone down, I can find it and move it.  Not a whole lot of pain when I do that, but it doesn't feel great either.  I easily attended the 30 degrees of flexion they wante me to achieve.  My only disappointment was that I can't progress further than 30 deg on the CPM right now per the OS orders.

I did talk to my OS (there was some concern I had a blood clot-- I don't).  The lesion on the patella was huge.  He said it was about 80% of my patella.  Had I gone another year, I may not have been a viable candidate for the surgery. 

Overall-  Pain isn't that high (until I stand up and the first minute isn't fun), swelling is pretty reasonable, incision site looked good (it's big-- 28 staples), and I appear to be where I should be at this point.

John
L knee scope- 11/95
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08

Offline djs60

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 05:31:46 PM »
Hi John,

Glad to hear your surgery went well.

Just to clarify, did you have your trochlea grafted as well as the patella (i.e. "kissing lesions")?

DJS60
3/06 left knee arthroscopy - grade IV lateral trochlea defect
chondroplasy & removal of loose bodies
1/07 left knee arthroscopy/cartilage biopsy
4/27/07 left knee trochlea & patella ACI with TTO

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 06:32:58 PM »
Hi John,

Glad to hear your surgery went well.

Just to clarify, did you have your trochlea grafted as well as the patella (i.e. "kissing lesions")?

DJS60

I did and my patella was a lot worse than they had thought.  My OS said that my graft site covered 80% of my patella.  He said that left untreated, in one year it probably would have ben so bad that the surgery would not have been possible.

The pain level is still relatively low, which I am very happy about.  I just want the next 5 weeks to go by fast so I can begin the next phase of recovery.  More importantly, I want to fire up my Harley!
L knee scope- 11/95
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 07:41:11 PM »
Hi John,

Glad to hear that your surgery went well.  Sounds like you are doing great so far.  I remember very well wanting the first six weeks of NWB to go by fast.  For me, overall it went by faster than I thought it would.  Although, I sure was counting day each day on my calendar until I could weight bear.  Each week things get a little better and you get a little closer to full recovery.  Hang in there!!! 
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline djs60

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 08:43:17 PM »
John,

That's a pretty similar experience to mine.  It's good your doc was prepared with enough cells to do a big job on the patella.  My OS told me that his experience is that the patella can be difficult to evaluate arthroscopically, so he was going to be prepared to graft it going in, even though it wasn't that bad arthroscopically.  My defect on the patella was 4 cm x 1.5 cm, so maybe a bit smaller than yours.

I have an MRI scheduled next week, immediately followed by my one year f/u appt, so I will report back when I have info from that visit.

Dan
3/06 left knee arthroscopy - grade IV lateral trochlea defect
chondroplasy & removal of loose bodies
1/07 left knee arthroscopy/cartilage biopsy
4/27/07 left knee trochlea & patella ACI with TTO

dileigh

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 09:29:19 PM »
So when't your next PT John?  It seems like almost totally different protocols so far. Of course your lesion sound a lot larger than mine and I only had the one on the patella. 

I was afraid to even touch my patella with all the staples let alone try to move it around.  It seems so odd where it is after being on the side (sort of) of my knee for so long.

Diana

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 12:05:59 AM »
Hi John,

Glad to hear that your surgery went well.  Sounds like you are doing great so far.  I remember very well wanting the first six weeks of NWB to go by fast.  For me, overall it went by faster than I thought it would.  Although, I sure was counting day each day on my calendar until I could weight bear.  Each week things get a little better and you get a little closer to full recovery.  Hang in there!!! 

Casey-

I definitely have a good attitude.  I am doing much better than I had expected.  The only spike in pain comes with standing up.  But since I have broke bones had previosly had surgeries, I know it's normal.  Other than that, I feel pretty good. 

Thanks for the kind words!   John
L knee scope- 11/95
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 12:11:28 AM »
John,

That's a pretty similar experience to mine.  It's good your doc was prepared with enough cells to do a big job on the patella.  My OS told me that his experience is that the patella can be difficult to evaluate arthroscopically, so he was going to be prepared to graft it going in, even though it wasn't that bad arthroscopically.  My defect on the patella was 4 cm x 1.5 cm, so maybe a bit smaller than yours.

I have an MRI scheduled next week, immediately followed by my one year f/u appt, so I will report back when I have info from that visit.

Dan

Dan,

I'd love to hear your "year in review".  I obviously have a physically demanding job and I am hoping that I am around the 100% mark this time next year. 

Yes, I am lucky there were enough cells.  Obviously our two docs know it can be worse than expected and I am thankful for that.  Of course a smaller defect would have been nice! 

Again, looking forward to the "year in review".

John
L knee scope- 11/95
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 12:17:41 AM »
So when't your next PT John?  It seems like almost totally different protocols so far. Of course your lesion sound a lot larger than mine and I only had the one on the patella. 

I was afraid to even touch my patella with all the staples let alone try to move it around.  It seems so odd where it is after being on the side (sort of) of my knee for so long.

Diana

Diana,

I go back to the PT in a couple of weeks.  My post op, with the OS, is next week.  I am assuming I will be getting the staples removed.

This is your first knee surgery, right?  You just have to grin and bear it when it comes to patella mobs.  It's not going to feel good, but it'll feel better now than if you don't do it and then you have to break up scar tissue.  Trust me, that's not fun.

As for rehab protocols-- you'll always get differences.  Similar procedures always have different variables and that will affect the rehab.  Also, I did have an additional lesion and I also had a TTO.  I certainly feel like I could easily attain more flexion, but I won't stress about it right now.  I was short some extension yesterday and that's what I've focused on.  For me, extension is harder and more painful to get.

I hope all is going well with your recovery!

John
L knee scope- 11/95
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 09:41:49 PM »
I forgot to ask-

Did anybody else experience shin and calf pain after their ACI surgery? 
L knee scope- 11/95
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08

support