Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: just found out torn meniscus  (Read 741 times)

Offline tenika40

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
just found out torn meniscus
« on: March 14, 2008, 11:41:32 AM »
I had been having alot of knee pain in my right knee for years off and on. But just in the past few months it really has been giving me trouble. My Dr. sent me to an othopedic and he done his exrays shows I have a patella tracking disorder bad. He has ordered an MRI done to see any other problems, just had that done yesterday  and got the report to. It shows I have a bruised tibia bone, and a posterior horn medial meiscus tear, so I go back to the orthopedic tuesday and am alittle concerned. Has anyone had this, and if so have you had surgery? And does a meniscus tear generally mean surgery? I have pretty much tried everthing including weeks of pt, steroid shots ect. Thanks for any info anyone could pass my way.  ???

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: just found out torn meniscus
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 02:53:29 PM »
I'm not a doctor but a meniscus will not heal on its own.  Unfortunately you probably will face surgery at some point.  You don't have to have the surgery now - that is your decision.  Discuss with the os the pain / quality of life and decide from there.  Many of us have put it off for years and that can lead to other knee issues.  Good luck on your decision.  Eagle

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 08:54:51 AM »
I agree with eaglemom. You dont NEED to have the surgery right now, but if I were you I wouldnt put it off for long, because if you run around with torn meniscus, it can aggrevate problems like OCD and then you will eventually need surgery to clean up after that, and OCD is a recurring thing. So get that menisc done, you'll save yourself a lot of pain you otherwise MIGHT get later on.
Hope all goes well for you
BEDA
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'84 osteochondritis dissecans
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
all TKR's loosened & failed
2008 wait for Final arthrodesis
constant pain

Offline OldCoot

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 01:37:37 PM »
Definitely see an orthopedic surgeon immediately and schedule for a knee orthroscopy.  I had the same thing and waited and the meniscus is tough like teflon and has the ability to tear itself up by grinding down the torn part making tiny particles that act as grinding compound that wear the good meniscus away.  Not a bad procedure at all. They insert three big needles, one for a light, one for fluid flow (sterile water) and one with the tool on it. They circulate water in and out and use the light and camera to put it on a TV screen then take the tool and cut away the torn part then smooth everything out. The fluid washers away any particles and you end up with a nice clean knee joint. I watched the procedure on TV and looked like a parrots beak chewing away at the torn meniscus.

I went back to work in 10 days on crutches and you keep it iced down and go to PT a few times and rock on.  Word to the wise here: Anytime a joint (anywhere) hurts you for more than a few days then go see an orthopedic surgeon and find out why it's hurting. Waiting very often causes more complications that wouldn't have been so bad if you had consulted the OS pronto. By the way, 15 years later I ended up with a TKR on the same knee and that is no fun a'tall.

support