Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Cartilage Transplant  (Read 997 times)

Offline Rob210474

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Cartilage Transplant
« on: March 14, 2008, 11:23:11 AM »
Hi all,

Just wanted to see if anyone was in the same position as me.  I'm 33 yrs old and after having a femoral osteotomy last July, I'm now going to have the second part of my cartilage transplant op.  My problem is that my knee is too damaged really but the OS is willing to give it  atry anyway.  I have three different areas of debridement, each being about the size of a UK postage stamp.

The O.S explained that the success rate is not great for three areas of transplantation, around 30% and thyat it's also a long operation.

Has anyone else gone through a similar op. and if so was it a success?

Thanks for your time.

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Cartilage Transplant
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 12:50:10 PM »
How did you originally hurt your knee?
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline Rob210474

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 02:09:02 PM »
Long story but in brief, tore lateral meniscus in right knee playing football in '95.  Got fit, tore it again in '96.  Got fit, tore it again in '98.  Got fit, tore it again in 2000.  Got fit, tore it again in 2001.  Got fit, tore it again in 2003.  Stopped playing football!!!!!

Ripped the cartilage off my femur and tibia playing rugby in 2005!!!!  Oops!!!!!!

After each injury I had an arthroscopy but because of the last injury my knee wasn't aligned properly so I had the osteotomy to correct the defect.

If you're still awake, thanks for asking and hope it's of some use.   ;D

Rob

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 09:01:47 AM »
Rob. I was once a candidate for cartilage transplant, and he surgeons opted out of it becuase of the low sucess rate. I think you ought to consider if you want to put yourself through such a lengthy and maybe unsucessful operation? Has the OS offered any other forms for treatment? have you had a second opinion? I know it doesnt sound hopeful for you, but how much pain are you experiencing now, and whats the criteria for this op?
Hope everything goes well for you
Beda
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'84 osteochondritis dissecans
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
all TKR's loosened & failed
2008 wait for Final arthrodesis
constant pain

Offline JulieRose6

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 04:38:33 AM »
I just had a cartilage transplant in my left knee on March 11, 8 days ago. I had damage in only 20% of my knee from what my surgery said but I had a cadaver (probably spelled wrong) cartilage transplanted in the area through a procedure called the OATS. I have actually feel better than I have in a long time, this was my fifth one and the most evasive and I feel better than I did when I had the four others. I am in barely any pain which is quite shocking since I have been in pain for 10 years. I honestly don't know how successful it would be with three transplant areas, but I wish you all the luck in the world! If you have any other questions just mail me back.

Julie
Arthoscopic (3/2002)
Fulkerson/Lateral Release/Arthoscopic (12/2002)
Arthoscopic/ Screw Removal (10/2003)
Arthoscopic (12/2006)
Oats Procedure (3/2008)
Partial Knee Replacement (11/09)
Partial Knee Replacement (6/10)