Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee Surgery - Belfast or London?  (Read 2554 times)

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Knee Surgery - Belfast or London?
« on: March 14, 2008, 09:42:25 AM »
Hi,
Back in the 70s and 80s Belfast was internationally renowned as a knee surgery centre of excellence.
Can anyone offer any insights into present day? Can anyone recommend surgeons/hospitals that it might be worth my while investigating?

Its come to a point where if my own OS in Dublin cannot help me I need to travel further afield for a surgeon with more experience who may be able to help. Obviously Belfast would be fantastic as its only a 2 hour car ride.

Im willing to look into London also.

Any recommendations would be great, at this stage I am prepared to travel as far as the US but Id much rather stay closer to home if possible.

Thanks.
Tanya

1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Bedas Atelier
Re: Knee Surgery - Belfast or London?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 10:08:42 AM »
Tanya - I cant advise you about os's in Belfast or London, because I live in Denmark, but I really do appreciate the sentiment!! I too am prepared to go anywhere to get the much needed arthrodesis that I have been on waiting lists to get for the last 2 months. I have finally been referred to a Hospital in another part of Denmark, over to the west. I live in the east, and have to cross over the sea to get there, but its the best orthopædic hospital there is, and thats where I want to be! I know how you feel abut being prepared to travel to the USA, but youd have to have a LOT of money to be treated in USA, they dont exactly have NHS!! (I gather youre an NHS pateint because of your geographical position!) The US really have a lot to offer in the way of OS's,They also unfortunatly have the problem that some private OS's do stuff like TKR many times for the money, and not because its the most correct operation  for his patient. They get a HUGE honorar for each knee they do!1 But I dont really know as far as Belfast or London, and it does depend on if your a private patient or what? I lost availability of private health care in 1979 when I became sick with my accident on my knee, of which I have been fighting with ever since. You cant have a pre-existing condition when you draw up a private health insurance, and until my knee, I never gave it a thought because I was always healthy!! You dont realize how GOOD private health insurance can be until you need it!
Hope you find something in either Belfast or London
HUGS BEDA
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'84 osteochondritis dissecans
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
all TKR's loosened & failed
2008 wait for Final arthrodesis
constant pain

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 12:04:44 PM »
Hi Beda,
Thanks for your response - I read on another thread about you having to go to a different part of Denmark - I really hope they can help you out there!!
Im not NHS, in Ireland we have VHI (health insurance), but they wont cover a pre-existing condition for 5 years and Im only 3 years in so Im currently a private patient - however there is a scheme whereby if a surgery isnt available in Ireland that a HSE government fund will pay for it outside of the country (as though you were a public patient equivalent to NHS in the UK), Ireland allows you to see a consultant privately but go public for an expensive procedure so a lot of people jump the initial queue to see a consultant by paying him privately for an appointment but then if he decides to do a surgery they ask him to refer them to a public hospital (longer waiting list then for the surgery) - I am prepared to pay for a surgery myself but the real question is - would an Irish surgeon have enough experience to fix me!!!

I hear you about the cost of surgery in the US - it would only be an option if the correct surgery actually wasnt available in Ireland.
I have some friends looking into surgeons in London and Belfast for me also.

Really Im just praying that my next regular OS visit in May will bring some joy and he will finally agree that physio isnt solving the problem.

Im not rich but quality of life must be considered and Im willing to go into any amount of debt to improve my quality of life at this stage - both myself and my fiance have good jobs, we could borrow enough money for whatever needs to be done.

Im just done in with it - as Im sure you are too. Ive had a very difficult few days emotionally just not being able to deal with it. Its gone on too long, Im 3 years fighting this dislocating knee and I need some answers.
xx
Tanya
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 03:03:23 PM »
Tanya - I'm glad at least your not at the mercy of the NHS. They have some terrible long waiting lists, worse than in Denmark. In Denmark we have something thats called a 'Treatment guarantee' that is, if the hospital in your area cant deal with your problem in for 2 months, then they have to offer to refer you to another hospital with a shorter waiting list, or a private hospital. The only thing for me is, no private hospital here in Denmark can touch my leg as it is a mammoth operation, and only the very biggest and best hospitals are equiped to deal with me. So I have to be referred to one of these university hospitals, and the one with the shortest ammount of waiting happens to be in a town which is a LONG way away, and even then I'm likely to be facing a wait of several months. but the hospital I have finally got a referral to, after the initial consultation, take patients in for operation after merit, so theres hope to be held. I understand you want the BEST treatment, and believe me, thats how I got into such a state was because I had an accident, broke my knee, it didnt get fixed properly, I had a continuous luxating knee cap, bad operations for that and then it went well and fast on the road to PKR, TKR, and all the stuff like osteotomis inbetween. i dont think theres many knee operations I havent tried, and if someone had been a bit more conscienceous when I had my first surgery, maybe I wouldnt be where I am today. So go for it, the BEST money can buy, be it belfast, London or USA. if youve got the money, then theres nothing stopping you!
Hope everything goes well for you
Hugs Beda
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
constant pain

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 06:44:50 PM »
Thanks Beda - we have a similar system in Ireland about a certain length waiting list then you have to be referred elsewhere (think our list is 6 months). I understand what you mean about not being able to avail of that because of what you need done - usually only the big teaching hospitals can handle the complicated cases. But it sounds like you have been referred to the right place!!
I laughed at myself today at the thoughts of 'throw money at the problem'!!! but its true isnt it!!! you know myself and my boyfriend have talked about this - we dont mind how much its going to cost to try and fix me. And also Im glad Ive put in so much hard work on the physio cos thatll stand to me to recover after a possible surgery.

So when do you expect to be scheduled for surgery or do you know yet?

I read in another thread you asking how people manage to get around - the answer for me is I just take every distance and break it into short manageable distances in my head - so i just keep managing room lengths and then a little rest and so on - but when Ive had a lot of pain I just cant do any kind of distance (even the length of a room) without sitting for a while and psyching myself up for the next bit. So I dont go anywhere that requires being on my feet for long at those times - or else bring crutches (which I hate cos its so hard to get off them when you start on them).

Hugs to you.
xx
Tanya
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 12:40:50 AM »
Tanya - Until now i have no idea when surgery is going to be scheduled, I havent gotten past the first introductory/investagive consult yet!! that might take anything up to 6 weeks, but I do hope it will be quicker!I just dont get around without the help of crutches. if i try to take a few steps without crutches i get the most excrutiating pain in my lower leg and knee. Now I am beginning to get a swelling underneath my knee on my left leg, its a hard boney disformity, I dont like the look of it. But the last time I had x-rays taken, it showed that the components had completely slipped their grip on my bones, so I imaging this hard lump is the prothese i can feel. it sure feels like that, because as soon as i bear weight on it I cant stand the pain, it just feels SO wrong. I make sure I dont go out of the room without my crutches, and never anywhere at all without them. occasionally within my living room where theres a lot of furniture to hold onto, I use one crutch, but its with great pains. Do you have elbow crutches or under arm crutches? I use elbow crutches, there much more comfortable and save a lot of shoulder pains. I would reccomend them if you dont use them.
Tanya, I really hope you find a good OS that will operate you. Do you know which op needs to be done?
HUGS BEDA
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
constant pain

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 05:38:41 PM »
Hi beda,
I have elbow crutches. I dont need them if I can just shuffle along slowly - but if I use them I have to strap the knee up tight to stop it dislocating while its freely floating about mid air.

Thats not nice for you at all with the swelling and pain. I wish they could fix you up faster - its seems so cruel to let someone suffer like this - its disgraceful really isnt it? I really know what you mean about your knee feeling 'wrong' I feel exactly the same about mine.
Will your medical records about your knee be sent along for your new consult or do you bring them with you? I offered my current OS all the details of my past surgery but he sort of waved his hand and said that old history wasnt relevant now (i think he is right too).

I dont know which op needs to be done. I had a TTT/VMO advancement/LR, 20 years ago - so I dont imagine they would revise the TTT at this stage. Really its like the capsule is loose and baggy that my kneecap sits in so maybe an MPFL reconstruction? I dont really know - there may be other procedures Im not even aware of.

I still wish physio would fix the problem - I am afraid of another op as well - as Im sure you are too, its very hard when you need a surgery to change something but that change might bring different problems!!

My boyfriend spoke to me this morning about pulling my appointment closer and not waiting til mid may - but I think Im best to leave it mid may because my OS told me in August that itd be 6 months to a year of physio to solve my problems - so may will be 9 months from when he said that - dont want to go back to go back too early in case he says 'oh but you havent put the time in' - you know?

Beda youve been in my thoughts recently - I really really hope that you get a good result with your next consult - no one should have to suffer such pain.
xx
Tanya
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

support