Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Does the amount of time you are under affect the side effects of anesthesia?  (Read 1194 times)

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Hi,
I am having my knee scoped on Monday.  I've had both spinal and general anesthesia so I am familar with both.  I was wondering if the amount of time that you are out with general anesthesia affects the side effects that can occur from it?  General made me sick the last time I had it, despite requesting anti-nausea meds.  I wil be under for a much shorter time period for this surgery and was wondering if I went with general anesthesia if I had less of a chance of getting sick because of the shorter time being under? 
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
I am fairly sure it does make a difference but, more importantly, the anaesthesia used makes a difference, so tell the anaesthetist about your reaction, as they can use a different type of general anaesthetic to see if it helps. Good luck.

Kathy

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
If it makes you sick it will likely make you sick regardless of how long you are under. As the other poster said, tell the anesthesiologist ahead of time. I've never gotten sick but they always slip me anti-nausea drugs anyway so I don't know if that's the reason I haven't gotten sick or not.

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
I've never really gotten sick before - just felt like I wants to, if you know what I mean.  The last scope was wonderful though.  I don't know what he did, but I felt great.  Woke up and wasn't hardly even groggy.  I was under much longer than planned - almost 3 1/2 hr - but I knew then and there I would request the same medicines. 

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
Just tell anesthesiology you were still sick to your stomach and they will add to or adjust medications. Unfortunately where I have surgery done , they know me so well, that they pretty much have down what I need to avoid N&V. They give me 4 different meds to keep it from happening.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
casey, yes, the ammount of time your under and what type of anæsthetic used bears very much on N&V afterwards. I had a 8 hour op last time I was operated on, and had both spinal AND general, (because of the length of operation,) And because I was so anxious about N & V I told the anæsthetist I got sick to my stomach with GA, and he gave me a new kind of GA and I didnt feel sick at all afterwards, after being under for 8 hours!! I also got offered ice cold cola in the recovery room, which helped a lot against any nausea there was. I have had many short anæstheitcs, but the VERY short, (under for less than 10mins) I didnt get sick, but the regular GA they use for the most I get SO sick from. if you can have an epidural, I would advise it if you feel nausea with GA's. But if you tell them before you go under that you get sick, then they can use different methds of GA so you dont experience N&V. It CAN be avoided, I've had 14 surgeries, so I've tried it a couple of times!
Hope all goes well for you
Beda
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'84 osteochondritis dissecans
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
all TKR's loosened & failed
2008 wait for Final arthrodesis
constant pain

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Thanks for the responses!!!
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline OldCoot

• Regular Poster
"General made me sick the last time I had it, despite requesting anti-nausea meds."
They can give you med to prevent nausea and you must emphasize that to your anaesthesist  and the nursing staff. I made a sign and taped it on my bed but the hospital I was in is so sorry nobody pays any attention to what the patients say anyway. Anything like methadone or demarol makes me terribly nauseous and they give an IV push when I get sick and it cures the nausea otherwise there I am in pain plus sick as a dog.

support