Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: osteoarthritis is a 22 year old male!  (Read 1827 times)

Offline john-doe-0007

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
osteoarthritis is a 22 year old male!
« on: March 14, 2008, 05:35:16 AM »
I just was wondering if its rellly bad for a 22 year old to have osteoarthritis in the knee? is there anything can be done to fix it?

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: osteoarthritis is a 22 year old male!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 01:28:29 PM »
Well, it's not good but it's not the end of the world either. There is no cure for arthritis. The best you can do is keep your knee strong and mobile. Biking and swimming are excellent ways to prolong the life of your knee.

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 02:50:50 PM »
Wouldn't be great if there was a cure all for arthritis.  I think in the long term its a matter of keeping the knees healthy in the best possible ways.  As stated biking and swimming are best.  Avoid things that hurt you now, don't power through because that will not help your situation.  Eagle

Offline john-doe-0007

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 11:36:59 PM »
well i am overweight but moving towards gettin back into shape, lost about 25 pound so far, 55 more to go lol

i dont run anymore but i do the Elliptical machines....is that good or bad?

also my knee doesnt hurt yet, i just keep on feeling the noises in my knee as a bend and extend.

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 12:33:55 AM »
Swimming or biking is best.  I had OA since childhood.  I never really had gone to the doctors for it until 32 when I had a posterior horn tear of my meniscus jamming into my joint and the OS found a bone spur joy ride OA done on the lateral side of my knee..  behind the knee cap and oh boy the collapsed medial side of the joint after the scope.

You are very young but you have  the motivation to get the weight off and excercise. 

You are on the right path.. There is no cure for OA but your goal now is to keep your natural knee and protect it from high impact sports as much as you can. At 22 I never thought twice about the weather pains.   I just knew I had arthritis.. it didnt have a face of what kind.. OA is bone spurs growing and chewing things up if they get out of control and pound your cartlidge.   It looks like crab meat when it does.   I can show you photos of bone being non protected and if you take the steps to prevent it from getting worse now.. you will have a far healthier knee when you reach my age. 

Who knew how really destructive OA can be.. Now I have a metal knee.