Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome  (Read 1157 times)

Offline driger

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome
« on: March 13, 2008, 05:21:55 PM »
i have all the symptoms of Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome, and am slighly knock kneed. i haven't had an mri. because the pain has been manageable, and don't have health insurance. i get a flairup now and then and have to stop playing tennis for a week.

when i play tennis i usually do some stretching and put a compression wrap on the knee and its usually ok.

i've tried some of the different braces. the strap seems to help a bit, the sleeve with open knee, not at all. what is most effective seems to be wrap my knee with an ace bandage, basically a compressio wrap, and sliding a neoprene sleeve over the ace bandage. its fairly tight.

i done a lot of reading on Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome but have never read a of compression wrap as being an effective therapy. does anyone know if it is in fact it is an effective therapy?

Offline April28

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 07:47:29 PM »
HI,

I have the same problem with Patella Alta causing dislocations.  I would keep an eye on it.  If the brace is working 4 U with minimal pain than just mention this problem to your primary Doc.  May time down the road You might have to address this with an Orthopedic Surgeon.  The best thing 2 do is make sure your legs are nice and strong.  Your quads could cause problems if their weak.  Straight leg raises are good 4 the quads.  If you have any concerns or more pain this issue should be addressed.  You might need some PT later on.  My problem started out at 14 years old.  I thought I fixed it with arthroscopic surgery lateral release.  Well 13 years later now I need major  surgery .  My knee needs to be realigned with ligament reconstructions.  If your knee start subluxing or dislocating definitely see somebody.  I used an open knee pull on brace for sports when I was playing soccer.  The one I had was a hinge joint on both sides.  I hope this information has helped U!
1995 Patella Femoral Syndrome Diagnosed/Blown ACL &PCL- Had surgery plus Lateral Release
1997 Multiple Dislocations/ Cartilage torn /Arthroscopic repair for cartilage defect
2002 Blown out aCL again playing soccer/new cadeavor placed
2008 MPFL Repaired open surgery-6 month rehab
upcoming surgery!