Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: What to expect with a scope?  (Read 1261 times)

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
What to expect with a scope?
« on: March 12, 2008, 11:08:11 PM »
So I'm getting a scope done on my left knee soon (won't know when til my dad tells me tonight :P) and possibly remove some inflamed plica. So I know that people here have gotten that done before and I was wonder what to expect as far as recovery and rehab. My OS told me it would be 4 days on crutches, a walking cast, then 3 months of rehab. But I am ready to do whatever to get rid of the pain.

Anything is appreciated! Later my peoples!
Laura
7.22.2004: horseback riding accident :(
5.9.2008: scope + plica removal on left knee.
12.16.2008: de-plica-tize my right knee.
3.14.2011: lateral release + medial plication on left knee.

It's great to be a Tennessee Vol!!!!

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
Re: What to expect with a scope?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 11:14:27 PM »
Hey Laura--

My first knee surgery was a scope with a plica removal.  I guess I had a pretty huge plica, and it was somehow attatched to my MCL.  I had a spinal anesthetic, which scared me totally at first, but now having gone through 4 other knee procedures (soon to be 5), I always choose the spinal.  I had much less issues with it than general!!

I was only on crutches for a few days, mostly for safety when I went out in public.  The only dressing I had was some steri strips, gauze, and an ACE wrap...no bracing/casting whatsoever.  I believe I started PT 3 days after surgery.  I would have started the day after surgery, except my surgery was on a Friday, and my PT clinic isn't open on the weekends.   :)  Rehab sucked for me, as the plica wasn't the true problem going on with my knee.  I usually went to PT about 2x a week for a few weeks.  I tried getting back to hockey possibly a month post op, and it didn't work (again, because the plica wasn't my issue). 

All in all, this rehab/recovery isn't (normally) all that long or intense.  Remember that protocols differ with every surgeon!!

Best of luck Laura, let me know if you have any other questions!
~Mandy :)
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 01:42:19 AM »
So I was just given an option of April 3rd as the earliest date-- and I have an audition on April 5th. I REALLY just want to get the knee over with. Would it be possible to play or should I scrap the audition or reschedule the scope?

And thank you Mandy for all your great-- and reassuring-- input. I really appreciate it!

Laura.

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 10:39:29 PM »
Anyone?

Now the options are trying to convince the audition people to let me tape the audition on the make-up day on the 12th after the ACT. Buttt now my mom has an elementary percussion contest at my high school on the 5th. Sooo busy!

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 08:48:08 AM »
If I were you i wouldnt go to an audition 2 days after surgery, you will be in too much discomfort to give it  your best. Even though its not major surgery, its going to be sore, and if the OS says he'll put you in  cast, then that takes some getting used to as well. I understand your enthusiasm for something your burning for, but isnt the best, to give it your BEST. And it wont be your best 2 days after surgery.
Hope all goes well for you
Beda
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'84 osteochondritis dissecans
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
all TKR's loosened & failed
2008 wait for Final arthrodesis
constant pain

Offline ivotedtoday

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 01:19:33 PM »
I had a scope done on Feb. 28 to remove plica. I'm just getting off my crutches 2.5 weeks later, and my knee is still pretty swollen. My recovery has been slow. I would definitely not schedule anything that involves physical activity - even minor - for at least a week.

Offline suhcmf

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 02:44:12 PM »
I agree with ivotedtoday.  I had plica removal on Feb. 14th.  I didn't really walk on it for two weeks.  They say that everyone's recovery is different.  As far as pain goes, the knee doesn't really hurt that much but all my muscles have been really tight and achy.  I walking a lot now after 4 weeks, but I am still limping pretty bad.  Range of motion is 95 still.  The knee was also really swollen for about 2 weeks.

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 04:05:20 PM »
Thank you for all the replies! I'm going to scratch the audition. My knee is more important than that.