Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MRI results Help Understanding  (Read 1089 times)

Offline SELZER

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MRI results Help Understanding
« on: March 10, 2008, 09:29:01 PM »
Hello,

Let me say thank you in advance for any help. Can anyone explain in human terms my MRI results. My doctor was in such a hurry today... He is forwarding me to Ortho doctor next week.

How it happened:
Went to get off my bicycle 5 months ago and knee gave out. Went to 2 doctors who told me arthritis. Finally family doctor did the MRI cause pain is immense.

Findings:
Small joint effusion is resent. Mild osteophytosis is present.  Predominately horizontal tear with extension to the inferior articular surface involves the posterior horn of the medial meniscus. There is mild articular cartilage irregularity involving the medial joint compartment, without significant focal cartilaginous defect.

Impression: Posterior horn, medial meniscal tear.

Any help understanding the MRI would be great. I am in immense pain, is this normal?

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: MRI results Help Understanding
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 02:40:32 PM »
Really, the impression is the only line that is really important in MRIs. So, you have a torn medial meniscus which is the meniscus on the inside of your knee.

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: MRI results Help Understanding
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 04:02:27 PM »
Hi,
Jathib is right, but just so you understand the rest of it, joint effusion is just another way of saying you have fluid from swelling in the joint and osteophytes are bone spurs. They are the bone's way of trying to heal itself when it gets irritated. The part about the articular cartilage irregularity means that the cartilage covering the ends of your thigh and shin bones is wearing thin. No significant focal defect means that the cartilage hasn't worn down to the bone yet. All this means really is that you're starting to develop some mild arthritis.
Meniscus tears can be really painful when they first happen. Keep the knee iced and elevated as much as you can until you see the OS. Sometimes using a knee sleeve helps, because it stabilizes the joint. Try to avoid doing any movement that causes pain, especially twisting or squatting. Also, if you can tolerate NSAIDs such as Tylenol, Motrin, or Advil, you should use them to keep down the swelling and pain.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.