Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Right Kneecap Noise (Please humour me!)  (Read 1024 times)

Offline david.b1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Right Kneecap Noise (Please humour me!)
« on: March 10, 2008, 03:30:42 PM »
Hi, Im a keen cyclist and need some advice. Heres my query..

My right kneecap often makes clicking / catching sound on extension / when flexing. (not when on bike)
If sitting on a chair and I bend my leg towards me my right kneecap often makes a 'pop' / 'cracking sound'.

Interestingly, my right leg is my weaker leg / vastus medialis more develpoed on left leg. Very few cyclists have are 100% symetric.

I am not experiencing any pain at all, (and now take daily glucosomine + chondroitin) should I just ignore?

Many thanks!

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Right Kneecap Noise (Please humour me!)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 03:39:55 PM »
Hi David,

Most people I know have knees (as well as other joints too) that pop and snap.  With no pain or any other problems I would just ignore it.  As long as you keep the rest of your body strong, especially your quads and hamstrings, you should be fine.  You're probably in great shape as a cyclist and will continue to do fine with your knees. 

However, having said all that I'd also say that if you are nervous about the popping/clicking/cracking sounds it doesn't hurt to ask your Dr. next time you see him.   Good luck!
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 03:55:22 PM »
Sounds like you need to build up that VMO, David. That popping sound is your patella slipping its tracks. It may not be painful right now, but in the long run, it can cause wear and tear, leading to loss of cartilage and pain. I've heard that it's not uncommon for avid cyclists to have more developed muscles on the lateral side of their thigh than on the inner side. This may be pulling your patella off to the lateral side. Can you consult with a therapist or trainer for some exercises to strengthen your VMO?
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline david.b1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 03:59:42 PM »
Thanks guys. What is the best way to develop the VMO?

Do leg raises /  contractions really work?

Ive started to do isometric squats,will this help?

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 05:02:15 PM »
Hi David,
leg raises are good, as long as you remember to keep your foot slightly turned out. I don't know what isometric squats are, so can't comment on that one. Wall slides will help, too, and will work the VMO if you hold a ball between your thighs while doing them. Then there's one where you put a pillow under your leg while sitting on the floor and try to push your knee down to the floor. I forget what that one is called, but it targets the VMO very effectively. Your heel needs to stay in contact with the floor for that one. Probably the best exercise would be terminal knee extensions. That's best done with one of those elastic therabands that they use at PT. You tie one end around your thigh just above the knee, the other end onto a post or doorknob or something at about that height, then lift and lower your heel to pull back on the band, while tightening your quads. You can do this one at the gym, too, using those weighted straps. Those are the best exercises I know. Check out the kneeguru's home page, also. I think there are some links to sites with good exercises for knees.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

support