Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bust My ACL two days ago - help!!  (Read 877 times)

Offline pike

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Bust My ACL two days ago - help!!
« on: March 10, 2008, 09:35:04 AM »
Hey evryone, new to this site, joining you lot in the boat so to speak!! What a great forum - I love t'internet ;D

Okay so was sking Friday long story short, local doc has said I have completley ruptured the acl in my right knee. I have a good quality solid brace, an ice pack and was told; go see sports physio asap, my other tendons are good and strong, no need for immediate re structure but don't wait forever and I can be back to sports in six weeks.
My passion is kitesurfing, which luckily does not necessarily strain the knees too much (two feet on board, kite support body from high, fall into water etc etc). Got alot of info from the kite guys including this forum.
Some say do surgery asap, some say don't use brace as the muscle will waste..
Seeing the doc today really for a Q&A.
I defo want MRI asap to see exactly what's wrong, should I seek a sports physio privately?? How expensive are they?, If I spent a year without surgery but using brace (during sports) and exercises would that be okay?

Appreciate any help - I'm based in South Devon BTW.

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
Re: Bust My ACL two days ago - help!!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 10:02:16 AM »
Hey and welcome!!

Haven't got any ACL-experience myself, but I would advice you to get a recon as you're a very sporty guy! Firstly get your muscle strenght back doing physio, use a brace while playing sports but try not to use it all time because indeed muscles do waste because the brace takes over the stability!
Secondly if you don't have the recon you'll have a much bigger chance of getting arthritis at later age. You have lost a ligament and with that part of the stability! Again...

What kind of examinations have you had? In my opinion a CTscan is as effective as an MRI regarding ACL injury, but if you want an MRI then seek one with your OS. In the mean time RICE, do PT and slowely return to sports. BTW is the six weeks mark to return to sport after the recon? If they said that I think you should know that returning to sports post ACLrecon will take up to 6 months! What a difference...

Anyways good luck!!
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline rickymac

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 06:42:49 PM »
WASHAPINING,
GET the ACL surgery and be done with it!. I completly tore my ACL in a 2001 skiing trip 8) up in Tahoe. When I got back home I searched out the best OS I could find and he did the surgery 2 months later which gave me plenty of time to beef up the quad muscle ahead of time. The surgeon recommended that he use a donor ACL out of a cadaver and we went with that. Best decision I ever made!, It was 3 months out of my life and I went to PT every day (Very Important). and my knee was back to 100% and I was shredding Black Diamond slopes the very next season. Good luck DUDE!
//

Offline April28

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 03:57:16 PM »
HI,

Take the advice and consider getting the ACL done.  A complete rupture does not heal its self.  I has a partial ACL rupture on MRI, turned out 2 be full rupture in arthroscopic scope surgery.  GET it Fixed expecially with U being active sports person.  The very least get some imaging done 2 know what the real problem is.

GOOD LUCK!!

APRIL
1995 Patella Femoral Syndrome Diagnosed/Blown ACL &PCL- Had surgery plus Lateral Release
1997 Multiple Dislocations/ Cartilage torn /Arthroscopic repair for cartilage defect
2002 Blown out aCL again playing soccer/new cadeavor placed
2008 MPFL Repaired open surgery-6 month rehab
upcoming surgery!

support