Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT OVERNIGHT STAY???  (Read 3012 times)

Offline marshwriggle

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
    • Marshwriggle' Heaven
SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT OVERNIGHT STAY???
« on: July 25, 2003, 05:55:06 PM »
My surgeon told me on Wednesday that my Roux Goldwaith operation will only involve an overnight stay.....now I have read that this operation normally involves a 4 to 6 day stay.....should I be concerned that such a detailed operation only involves a short stay?

marshwriggle

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
Re: SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT OVERNIGHT STAY???
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2003, 06:27:29 PM »
I certainly understand your concern. It's amazing how we long to be home while in the hospital, even though we feel so much better to have someone else in charge, just in case something happens.

Perhaps you could phone the doctor's office and just pose your question to the nurse? It's possible that the doctor used the term "overnight stay" as a best-case scenario, meaning that a FEW people get out on day 2--though most people stay longer.

LizL
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline Donna

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2003, 07:48:55 AM »
Hi Marshwriggle,

When I had my Fulkerson I also read that the hospital day should be more than one day but my surgeon said overnight only. I think the short stays have to do with the insurance companies not wanting to pay for more than 1 day.  I actually was not discharged till about 6 p.m. the day after my surgery. Then I stayed in a hotel like room in a wing in the hospital for 4 more days. It only cost $ 53 per night. It was a nice thing this hospital offered if you were not ready to go home yet. My husband took care of me in this room but if I needed a nurse they were just in the other wing.

Good luck!

Donna
4/88 menis, chondroplasty,
10/01 menis, chondroplasty
2/02 microfrac,chondro,menis,
4/02 Fulkerson TTT, LR, microfrac,
2/03 open LR,fat pad removal, lysis,menis Still need more surgery.

Offline tazmanian_devil

• Forum Faithful
  • I guess you can't teach an old quad new tricks
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2003, 10:19:05 AM »
Don't worry, they won't put you out of the hospital if you are not doing ok, that means your pain has to be under control and you are able to get to the bathroom, do stairs if needed, etc. Sorry but right now I can't remember if you have someone to take care of you post-op, do you? Theresa
L ACL Recon. L lat. meniscus tear 1991, R Dislocated 1996, R ACL partial tear, MCL tear 08/01, R Chondroplasty 2/14/02, R Lateral Release-Medial Reefing-Chondroplasty 12/3/02.

Offline marshwriggle

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
    • Marshwriggle' Heaven
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2003, 03:45:01 PM »
ah right donna that was good for you then :) I am in the uk and they dont do it like that here no such thing as putting you in another room ....they just send you home and thats why I am concerned :-/

marshwriggle

Offline marshwriggle

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
    • Marshwriggle' Heaven
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2003, 03:45:58 PM »
Hi thresea yes I will have my husband and 18 year old daughter and 17 year old son to look after me :)

marshwriggle

Offline Josey Posey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Josie Posey
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2003, 05:31:18 PM »
Hi again
We chatted briefly before your arthroscopy when I was 1 week post arthroscopy and you were very worried.
I understand your concerns as I signed the consent to 'proceed' so wasn't sure what was going to be done.  Not sure which part of the UK you're in but I'm in Kent.  I was in at 8:00 am on the Friday morning and wasn't out until 8:00 pm on the Saturday evening and even then, they wouldn't let me out until they were sure I could walk up and down the stairs on crutches etc.  If you do not feel ready to leave after one night, you need to let them know you feel wobbly etc and they will keep you in.
Good luck and would love to know how you go.  Me, I'm still limping and after a major mix up in my notes, now am not sure what I have had done 4 weeks down the line!
Josie ???

Offline marshwriggle

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
    • Marshwriggle' Heaven
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2003, 05:56:17 PM »
Hi Josey,

Well I am in Yorkshire......my arthroscopy went ok, I had it done at about 2 pm and was home by 7pm that day......its my Roux Goldwaith that will be an overnight stay.....I am off my crutches now but am limping as my kneecap keeps dislocating....I have to rest it all of august before my operation in September, I will be in plaster for 7 to 8 weeks. my surgeon said my kneecap was very unstable and it needs to be done as soon as possible....what was your arthroscopy for?

marshwriggle

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Fibromyalgia diagnosed Dec 2003 - OA in both knees
    • E30 Zone
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2003, 05:25:22 AM »
Hi Marshwriggle

I just wanted to echo the same things as the guys have.  

You will only be in hospital as long as your OS sees fit for you.  I feel that as long as you have the correct pain medication and someone around for you, it is always best being in your own bed.  You will feel more comfortable as well.

I had to stay in hospital after damaging my right medial collateral ligament on Friday 13 June and had to stay in hospital for a long and horrible 9 days as I had already got my left knee in a fibreglass leg cylinder cast as I had torn my LCL and MCL, so there was no way that they would let me stay in my house until I was over the worse.  

Let me tell you that if you are going to be staying in an NHS hospital and an Orthopaedic Ward you will most certainly want to be in and out of it as quickly as possible as most of the beds will be filled with geriatrics and most of them will be bed bound and unable to get to the toilet - I won't go into detail, but it is not a pleasant smell and they are so demanding.

I wish you well with your surgery and know that we will all be thinking of you and sending you positive vibes for a speedy and healthy recovery.

Much love as always
Lizzie xxx
« Last Edit: July 28, 2003, 05:30:19 AM by Lizzie »
Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Lateral Releases & Medial Reefings
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Adhesions in the interconylar notch of ACL removed
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Deep chondral fissure in crest of patella
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK

Offline marshwriggle

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
    • Marshwriggle' Heaven
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2003, 03:57:55 PM »
ohl lizzie now you HAVE got me worried rofl.....I know exactly what you mean though.....I dont want to have to stay in hospital I would much rather be back at home in my own bed......I am just nervous about the whole thing I guess....a friend of mine has just had an operation on the NHS done in  a private hospital with her own room and gorgeous food etc and all to cut waiting list times.....

marshwriggle

Offline marshwriggle

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
    • Marshwriggle' Heaven
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2003, 04:03:22 PM »
****fibreglass leg cylinder cast******

lizzie can you tell what that was like please as I think that will be the type of cast I will be having.....are you able to get around ok in one of these casts? like going up stairs and things?

marshwriggle

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • E30 Zone
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2003, 04:09:30 PM »
Marshwriggle

I certainly hope that I haven't worried you further  ;)

My fibreglass leg cylinder cast is just like having a plaster of paris cast from my thigh to my ankle to prevent me from bending my knee.  The good thing about using the fibreglass as opposed to the plaster of paris is that it is much lighter to wear and it doesn't make any mess, whereas the pop gets everywhere.

If you have a leg cylinder cast put on, you might have a couple of problems, ie, getting in and out of a car, unless you can put the passenger seat right back as far as it will go, and of course, it depends how tall you are too  ;)  I am 5'7" and had some difficulty getting in and out of my dad's BMW 7-Series which is a very big car!

Stairs shouldn't be too much of a problem if you do one stair at a time - you just need to practice.  

The cast will feel slightly weird having on for a few days, but you will get used to it.

Good luck

Lots of love
Lizzie xxx
Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK

Offline marshwriggle

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
    • Marshwriggle' Heaven
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2003, 07:21:45 PM »
no lizzie u have not worried me further, I allways have my headless chicken head on me lol my youngest son who is 17 says I could worry for ireland lol....oh right the cast sounds ok then.....I am only little 5 foot 1 so should be ok......

marshwriggle

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • E30 Zone
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2003, 10:15:26 PM »
Hey Marshwriggle

Just don't use a chopstick for when you get an itch! ROFLMAO

Lots of love
Lizzie xxx
Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK

Offline marshwriggle

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
    • Marshwriggle' Heaven
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2003, 10:02:22 PM »
its funny you should mention that lizzie, when I had my left knee operated on way back in 1977 for the same condition I had a bone transplant put in....anyway I was in plaster for 12 weeks and my leg was so itchy I put a ruler down to scratch it and when my plaster was taken off I had this massive nasty rash like  infection which then had to be treated with anti-biotics yuk or what  :-/

marshwriggle

support