Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Brittany's Fulkerson Osteotomy 3/7/08  (Read 8219 times)

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Medtronic = Life!
Re: Brittany's Fulkerson Osteotomy 3/7/08
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2008, 04:21:27 PM »
They told me they'd fall off after a week also, but they never did.  At exactly a week, I took them off.  I was thrilled too b/c then I felt that I could really scrub that area with soap!!  Anyway, have a great day and I hope your pain doesn't end horribly today as your first day of work!  The days will get easier...promise.  My first day back after 2 weeks PO was difficult, but day after day it was easier and easier.  Getting comfortable at my desk was the most difficult. Anyway, good luck with your pain and work!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline smkelly4kds

• Forum Faithful
  • Longing for a new knees!
    • Melissa's Blog
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2008, 10:23:37 PM »
My steri strips did fall off either.  I was told I could tae them off once the edges started lifting.  But I had a reaction to the adhesive and they were taken off.  I was about 10 days PO when I was told I could remove them.  It felt so much better.  GOod to hear you are doing well.  Take it easy and get rest and ice tonight after work.  You will probably crash.  Which is good to rest as much as you can.  I am 9 wk PO and I am just now FWB with crutches.  I am doing well just achey muscles from doing too much I think.  hope you had a good day
melissa
Aug 2007 - dislocation Rt knee-PT no improvement
Jan 08 TTT (Fulkerson)  Rt knee
Scope 6/08 LT Knee- debridgement medial femoral condyle w/stedman picking, part. lateral menisectomy
July 22 started 1st round of synvisc heading for 5 total....so far working!
Still having pain w/TTT knee pain

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2008, 02:17:25 AM »
Hi there. I had sutures in (24 of them) for 10 days. Then they put steri strips on and told me to take them off in one week...... They came off no problem. Only one looked like it was leaky so I put a tight band aid over that one place.....otherwise...then they said to start massaging the scar to keep it from healing in a big scar. 

Hope that helps.
:-)
Laura
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2008, 03:50:37 PM »
Well, I'm too much of a wimp to take them off just in case they're actually doing some good for my scar.  The edges are starting to peel a little, I'll take them off by next tuesday, the 1st.  I have my next appointment then.

I'm really wishing I had another week off of work.  As soon as I get home (3:00) I crash and don't wake up until dinner.  Then I lay on the couch until about 9, then go to bed.  I'm exhausted.  I'm hoping this passes very soon.

I asked my OS to give me a different prescription for when I'm at work, something that wouldn't make me dizzy.  They gave me Lortab.  I took it yesterday and I was so out of it all day.  The kids were starting to question if I was on something illegal.  I don't think I'll try that again today, I'm in a lot of pain though so I may try 1/2 a pill at lunch.

I'm working on my ROM a little and gaining my strength back in my thighs.  I feel like I'm not really getting anywhere with the stregthening part...all in time I guess.

I hope you're all having a good day!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06
Fulkerson osteotomy/Chondroplasty/lateral release 3/08

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2008, 05:14:29 PM »
Brittany, your OS is crazy for thinking Lortab would help not being dizzy during the day!!  That is what my 7.5mgs of hydrocodone are!  It is like vicodin.  I get sleepy every time I take it!  Despite that, I take 2 every 4 hrs!  I would ask for Tramadal to see if that helps...it is suppose to be easier during the day.  It didn't help my pain, but it may be worth a try for you!  I understand about you crashig when you get home everyday!  I don't get home until 8:00pm or later most days. Once I arrive, I am tired and in pain. Good luck again!

Farrah

11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2008, 03:35:45 AM »
I gave in to taking off the steri strips tonight!  I was starring at them while sitting on the couch and decided to just get it over with.  I think the scar looks pretty good.  It used to look like a huge paper cut, now it definitely looks like a scar from an incision.  Oh well, there goes my leg modeling career! ;D

I didn't take any pain meds while at work.  I didn't want to risk being dizzy.  I took 1/2 a pill wiith dinner and didn't feel dizzy at all.  Maybe I'll try 1/2 a pill at work tomorrow with a lot of food.  I know i don't work as long hours as a lot of you.  Farrah- I don't know how you do it!

I've noticed that I still have a lot of numbness in my leg.  All along my inner thigh, around the incision and around and down my calf.  It's incredibly sensitive.  My ankle is also very sore, swollen and black and blue.  It's painful to walk on it.  Has anyone else had this?  I am also having some weird nerve sensations on the inner side of my rt knee.  It's very short, sharp twitches in the nerve, or at least it feels that way.  It can be painfu at times other times just annoying.  I probably have 50-100 of them a day.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2008, 01:04:45 AM »
Brittany, I had my knee surgery a month before you.  I still have that numbness sensitive feeling on my knee.  Certain areas are getting better but there are large areas that arent yet. I had it after my last surgery too....it does get better.......over time....when you are a few months out you can massage that area and it will get better. For now...just let it be.  Those sharp nerve jumpy feelings are normal too....it can be some nerve endings sorting themselves out....also...when your knee is still weak some nerves can get trappd nad pinched by a funny walking style.....dont worry about it yet...totally normal.

Yes...the bruising does travel south over time. I had no bruising for 2 weeks then all of the sudden at week 2-3 my ankle turned  puffy and purple....it was odd....and it went away......  Are you still elevating a lot?  You have to continue to elevate for months....it is the pits..but it is true....it will hlp that paiinful swelling/bruising in your ankle.  Moist heat can help resolve bruises..you could alternate a moist heat wash cloth on that ankle wtih ice and it might help it.....ouch.

You are just like me....I peeled one steri strip off...thought...hmm...looks good......took another one.....hmm...looks good...next thing I know they were ALL off..ha ha.... I have a really huge ugly scar too..I posted ti on my diary if you want to compare ugly pics..haha.....MY PT says to put Vit E on it all the time....my dermatologist sait to put "scar Guard" on it.....I try it all.  Oh...and SUN SCREEN for at least 3-4 months she said....that will be hard this summer.

Take care! Your doing great!
Laura
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2008, 02:16:55 PM »
Laura-  Thanks for the reply.  I've had my leg up on a chair all day while at work and then at home I have it elevated on the couch and icing.  I really hope some of the sharp sensations stop soon. 

Today is 3 weeks PO.  I go back to the OS on Tuesday.  Last time I went he told me not to put anything on my scar.  Now that it's pretty well sealed up I put some lotion on it last night.  My legs were so dry!  Today is also the first day that I'm not wearing an ace bandage wrapped around it for extra support.  I just have jogging pants and the brace on.  I feel a little unstable not having the ace bandage on but I figured it was time.  The OS told me 2 weeks ago that it wasn't necessary to have it.

I'm still having pain.  I'm still surprised when I have pain since I had the nerve block that didn't wear off for several days after surgery feeling numb became my "normal".  Now that I'm in the real world with the rest of you and able to feel the pain I'm not liking it. 

I am so ready for the weekend!!  I don't think I could handle another day at work.  It's the first week back after spring break so the kids are crazy and I'm tired.  I plan on sleeping a LOT this weekend!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline smkelly4kds

• Forum Faithful
    • Melissa's Blog
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2008, 02:35:17 PM »
you are doing great!  I  have no idea how you teach all day with your knee,  I have 4 kids and dont feel like I can keep up with them hats off to you!  What grade do you teach?  The nerve thing is painful when they are waking up.  This I know.  I had shocks so strong that it would lift my knee off the  bed and I was in that terrible brace.  I had to wear the brace till I was at 8 weeks PO if you feel better with the ace bandage then go ahead and wear it.  Your OS may have opinions about that but if you feel better wearing it then wear it.  You are still pretty early out so do what makes you feel  more comfortable. 
   The strength is a long time to build up.  I started ROM at 6wk PO I amnow 9 wk PO  and just starting strengthening exercises (resistance)  I have seen small inprovements daily.  Its a day by day process.  I wish it would speed up but I know eventually things will be back to normal or at least a new normal.  Hope you have a great weekend of rest!  ICE, ELEVATE and RELAX!

Melissa
Scope 6/08 LT Knee- debridgement medial femoral condyle w/stedman picking, part. lateral menisectomy

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2008, 02:53:26 PM »
Melissa- I teach 7th, 8th and 9th grade special ed. Reading and Science.  The kids are pretty good about running errands for me and not coming near my leg!

Thanks for the support!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline smkelly4kds

• Forum Faithful
    • Melissa's Blog
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2008, 05:04:41 AM »
Special Ed .... you are a wonderful teacher! I love teachers but special ed teachers are my fav.  I close friend if mine is a special ed teacher in high school.  My son Kristofer is a special ed kid.  He receives OT, speech, his special ed teacher works with him and he gets extra time for help if needed in the school resource room.  He is only in Kindergarden right now. 
  So get some much needed rest!
   Melissa

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2008, 02:54:43 PM »
I am a volunteer to help train special ed kids with tennis!!  I can't do it right now, but will start once I can walk or stand for a period of time.  I used to coach some in gymnastics.  It was difficult sometimes. 

Well I hope you are feeling okay today!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2008, 07:06:18 PM »
Hi everyone,

It always seems that somehow everyone is connected to someone in special education or someone with special needs...small world!  I like my job, some days more than others!  I like the age group I'm in. It's fun to watch the kids grow and figure out who they are and make decisions about their life.  A few of my students will go to college, most of them will go into some type of job training depending on their interests and abilities.  I always said I wouldn't teach Jr. High because I hated that phase when I was that age and now here I am and I wouldn't change a thing!

As for the knee... I had my 2nd OS appointment since the surgery, 3.5 weeks ago.  This visit was very good!  He said I'm progressing very well, the bone has very visible areas of healing back together.  He said I'm going to start PT, 2 days a week for 4 weeks.  He unlocked my brace up to 90 degrees (was 30) and said at the next appointment (4 weeks away) he will have me lose the brace all together!!!!  I'm so excited to get this brace off.  He said I can start walking without my crutches as soon as I want.  The harder I push myself the sooner I'll be back to normal!  I asked about going to Lav Vegas for my husband's job at the end of May and he said it wouldn't be a problem, I should be almost at 100% by then!!  I still can't drive yet, another week or so.

I am just really happy with the news.  It just seemed like things are going faster and better than I expected.  I thought I'd be on crutches until the middle of May, so this is very good news!

I also asked him if he thought I would need to get the other knee done.  He said to wait until the pain worsens.  It's not horrible now, just mildly annoying.  He said sometimes people need both done and sometimes they don't it just depends.  So I'll be keeping an eye on lefty as I'm becoming more mobile.  Hopefully I don't have to have it done.  We'd like to start a family as soon as righty is better! ;D

Well, that's it for me.  I hope you're all having a good day!  --Oh, and I got a different pain killer for work, I'm done being knocked out with Lortab!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2008, 08:44:30 PM »
Brittany, good news!!  I am so happy for you!!  What is your new pain killer?  Just curious!!  Have fun weaning off crutches!!  Good luck!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2008, 03:53:36 AM »
So I've been walking a little bit tonight and I'm VERY slow!  It feels so weird to be walking.  It's strange to say, but I'm not very good at it.  I feel pretty unstable, like my knee is wobbling around but I'm thinking that's to be expected until it's a little stronger.

Farrah-  The OS gave me Tramadol, I haven't tried it yet, tomorrow I'll know more.  Hopefully it doesn't make me too dizzy.  Hope you're doing better tonight!  Put that leg up and ice it---hope you get some rest and relief soon!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

support