Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Brittany's Fulkerson Osteotomy 3/7/08  (Read 8221 times)

Offline smkelly4kds

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Longing for a new knees!
    • Melissa's Blog
Re: Brittany's Fulkerson Osteotomy 3/7/08
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 02:40:42 PM »
Brittany,

Sounds like you are doing really well! Since you had the nerve block it seems like you have not experienced the wonderful "blood rushes" when you stand up.  Its an instant painthat shoots right to the osteo site and down your leg.  Its is extremely painful and there is no denying what it is when you have it. 
   I am in a cloth brace with three velcro straps above and below my knee.  I am 7 wks PO and as much as I want to be rid of this lovely brace my Pt thinks I will be keeping it for a few more weeks.  My OS told me possibly till I am 10 weeks depends on what he finds on the 18th when he takes xrays again I guess.  Besides taking showers I do go without it when I am sitting or in the bed.  I am now sleeping without it but honestly I find that on some occasions that I sleep better and feel better when I wake up with it on.  Specially with nights like I had last night.
  I do occasionaly walk with crutches or walker without my brace but not often.  Trying to follow my OS orders as much as possible.  I was toe touch for 4 weeks and have been 25% weight bearing for the last 3.  I am able to put all my weight down without pain but I am again doing my best to follow the orders...which is hard!
   Getting out is a great thing for your mental status.  I have learned that surgery is tough not only on the part that has been "fixed" but emotionally and mentally as well.  You can get stir crazy.  I know I have been.  Just follow your orders, take the meds on schedule playing catch up to get the pain under control stinks, and ice!  rest!!  the more rest you get the faster your knee will heal! 
   Have a good week.  I see we head to the doc on the same day..18th.  I will be 8 weeks PO then!
melissa
Aug 2007 - dislocation Rt knee-PT no improvement
Jan 08 TTT (Fulkerson)  Rt knee
Scope 6/08 LT Knee- debridgement medial femoral condyle w/stedman picking, part. lateral menisectomy
July 22 started 1st round of synvisc heading for 5 total....so far working!
Still having pain w/TTT knee pain

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 05:16:49 PM »
PO day #6

I didn't post yesterday because I had a lot of pain.  I think it's safe to say I've joined the rest of you in a least knowing what the pain is like.  (I wish I wasn't a mamber of this group!!  ;))  Anyway, I've started having blood rushes pretty bad yesterday and today.  I've been trying to put my leg down slowly to try to avoid some of it but it doesn't seem to help much.  Also, I've had my mom re-wrap my foot with the bandages, I'm not sure why the bandages go all the way down to the arch of my foot but it's really been bothering me.  When she started un wrapping it I saw that my foot had huge blisters and bruises in a couple of spots from the velcro on the bandage rubbing on my foot.  It hurts SO bad!  I've got it where the bandage stops at my ankle now, hopefully my foot heals up quickly. 

I took a whole pill of percocet last night because I was in so much pain and figured i wouldn't get dizzy since I'd be sleeping and I slept great until about 3 am.  I woke up several times fter that but didn't actually get out of bed until 10:30.   I also unbuckled the whole immobilizer (same kind as you, Melissa) last night just to get some air to my leg and it felt GREAT!  My OS said i could loosen it as long as I was sitting, so I had it open for about 30 minutes.  I may do that again today.

I have the rest of this week at home and then all of next week at home then I go back to work on the 24th. (I'm a teacher)  When I see the OS I think I'm going to ask for a different pain pill.  Percocet is fine while I'm at home.  I can deal with the dizziness since i can sleep it off but once I'm at work I can't be dizzy.  Hopefully something else will work better for me.  I'd switch now but the prescription for percocet was $56.  It seemed like a lot to me.  It was the generic kind too.

Well, I've been blabbing long enough!

melissa, I hope you get good news at your appointment on the 18th!!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06
Fulkerson osteotomy/Chondroplasty/lateral release 3/08

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 08:15:54 PM »
I'm oficially 1 week PO today.  I'm still hurting, but that's to be expected I would think at this point.  Last night I went out to dinner with my mom and then went to Target and drove the electronic cart around (I felt pretty stupid!).  It was good to get out for a little while.  I had my leg proped up on a chair at dinner, so that was fine but at target my leg was down the whole time so it started to hurt.  All in all it was good to get out.

I'm looking forward to my 1st post op appointment on Tuesday, maybe some of the bandages will get taken off.  I'm so itchy!  Will they take the stitches out?

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 08:23:15 PM »
Hi Brittany, 

My guess is that they will take the stitches out at your next appt - as long as your incision looks good.  Mine are normally taken out at 9 days PO.   

Were you told not to change the dressing?  Just curious!!  I am usually told to leave the surgical dressing for 2 or 3 days and then they can come off.  That itching would be driving me nuts too!

Sounds like you are going great.  Keep it up!
Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 08:29:53 PM »
Karen,

I called my OS after surgery and they said not to change the dressing until my appointment with him.  I though a week and a half was a long time to leave it too!  I'm hoping for some relief soon!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 08:41:30 PM »
You can always take a Benadryl to help with the itching.  Just know that the Benadryl with the perc will make you very very sleepy.  I have to take benadryl with percs because the percs make me itch.  But i sleep really well  ;D
Right Knee
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 10:05:48 PM »
I bet you will get your sutures out...they usually come out by then...if they leave them in too long your skin wiill grow over them...so unless you have a big opening they will come out...then steri strips go on...those stay on about another week and then you can take them off too and then you can get your leg wet...    Lot of doctors leave the bandages on......it will feel GREAT to get them off!!!

You are doing great!  esp for one week out!!!!

:-)
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 01:25:34 AM »
Brittany, I hope your blood rushes have settled some.  I had them too, but I don't think I ever really complained about it.  Maybe they weren't that bad or something.  I definitely felt them though.  They just weren't as bad as some of the TTT pain I guess.  Anyway, I hope you are doing well.  I would take pain meds as long as they help you through pain.  There is no reason to suffer...especially if you are still resting at home.  Good luck at your apt on Tuesday.  I can't wait to hear what is said. 

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 02:23:29 AM »
How have you been??
Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2008, 09:38:40 PM »
I just got back from the doctor.  He said everything is going well and looks good.  He took the stitches out, took some x rays and put me in a new brace.  this brace is locking, I can bend it up to 30 degrees.  It felt so good to get the bandages off and get some air to it.  i am going to take a shower and clean it as soon as my husband gets home to help me.  I'm excited to get my leg wet!  The dr. also said I can bear my full weight on my leg as long as I use crutches to balance.  I've tried walking a little and it feels very weird.  Not painful really, but just strange to have my foot flat on the floor.  I'm pretty happhy with the appointment, he said I was healing quickly, which was good to hear.  He said I should come back in 2 weeks, then we'll work more in ROM.  Oh, and I'm supposed to work on building up the thigh muscles while I'm sitting around.  I haven't taken any pain pills today, so that's good.  Today was my most active day since the surgery.  I went to Target, Walmart and out to lunch.  It was good to get out, but I'm incredibly tired now, so I think it's time to take a nap before dinner is delivered.  Some couples at our church are nice enough to bring us dinner all this week and next week.   I'm very lucky!

Hope you're all doing well and having a pain free day!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 12:55:04 AM »
Congrats Brittany!!  That is a quick recovery...kind of like mine...but I started ROM on day 1.  You are only a few weeks out, right?  Well be careful trying to walk until your muscles get stronger.  Congrats again!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2008, 01:55:17 AM »
Brittany..that is wonderful...and wonderful about your church friends...you know you would do the same for them...it is a blessing to have that support!   The bath will feel AMAZING....I take so many baths now b/c they feel sooo good......Cant believe you went to target AND walmart..you are amazing!!!    good job!
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2008, 02:53:11 PM »
Well, hello!  I haven't posted on here in a while!  I'm a little over 2 weeks PO now.  Once the doctor told me to start walking a little I've been trying to do that but have found a whole new meaning of pain.  THe first few days after my appointment I was in incredible pain.  I was in tears the day after, I was so proud of myself that I hadn't cried at all throughout this whole experience but that's out the window now.

Today is my first day back at work.  I've got my leg propped up on a chair and a pillow.  It's a little uncomfortable, but not too bad.  I'm really tired though.  I've got to get used to being awake all day now instead of napping on and off throughout the day ;)

I've been pretty active the last few days (well, compared to the last 2 weeks I'm active).  I went to several stores over the weekend, sat outside and watched my husband plant flowers and walked a TON. 

I have a question:  I've had steri strips on the whole time since surgery, the OS said they would come off in the shower within a few days of my appointment.  That was on the 18th of March, I still have them on.  Should I leave them or pull them off?  They're not really even comming up around the edges.  Some of them have a lot of dried blood on them from the surgery, will it contaminate the incision?

Thanks!
Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2008, 03:38:24 PM »
Hi Brittany,  Sorry you are having some pain.  When you first start to walk it is going to be uncomfy.  Take it slow...You don't want to jump off the crutches and walk everywhere (I'm guilty of doing this every time!!)...just a little more every day.  It will get better!!!

As for the steri strips...You can try soaping them up really well in the shower (for a few days) to break up the adhesive. Or you can be bad like me and just trake them off.....ok not my brightest move...but I was told to leave them on for a week and they would fall off. I gave them almost 2 weeks then took them off.  Don't worry about the incision...it's long closed by now.

Enjoy your 1st day at work!!
Karen
Right Knee
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline sailchic

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2008, 03:57:28 PM »
Brittany-  This might be a whole load of hooie, but I once had a doc tell me that the longer you leave the steri-strips on the better.  He actually said leave them until they fall off on their own  While the incision is healed, keeping them on lets the scar form a little better and can make for a better asthetic appearance in the end... I guess it makes the scar get tougher before you start stretching it.  Then again my latest guy didn't even want to put them on after checking the incision at 10 days p/o until I asked him to.  Part of it depends on what kinds of stiches you had I think since this time around they were the long holding disolvables and the others were either stiches that had to be taken out or staples.

Good luck with your first day back.  Good thinking with the pillow.  I had my leg up on an oddly constructed platform of copy paper :)

Liz
11/02 L LR, Medial Reefing,
9/05 L TTT, Medial Reefing
9/06 L unscrewed, LR repair
12/07 L TTT revision
12/08 L unscrewed
12/09 R TTT
5/10 R unscrewed

9/11 L MPFL & LPFL repair, VMO adv. -- "global tightening"

EDS Classical Type

support