Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Brittany's Fulkerson Osteotomy 3/7/08  (Read 8218 times)

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Brittany's Fulkerson Osteotomy 3/7/08
« on: March 06, 2008, 05:31:14 PM »
Hi!  my name is Brittany, I'm 25 and have been having knee pain for several years.  I had a lateral release in december of '06, but found no relief.  I am scheduled to have a Fulkerson Osteotomy tomorrow (Friday) at 10 am.  I'm pretty nervous about it and have posted back and forth with a few of you so that helped tremendously! Thanks again!!

Just thought I'd introduce myself before the big day.  I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06
Fulkerson osteotomy/Chondroplasty/lateral release 3/08

Offline smkelly4kds

• Forum Faithful
  • Longing for a new knees!
    • Melissa's Blog
Re: Brittany's Fulkerson Osteotomy 3/7/08
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 06:02:09 PM »
HI Brittany

Good luck with the surgery!  I am 6 wk PO with the same (Fulkerson)  Just started ROM and doing great!  I can see improvements every day and look forward to walking crutch free soon.  NOt able to till 8 wk but looking forward anyway.  Biggest sugestion, take your pain meds regularly as well as ice!  It will help alot.  Need anything answered thisis the place tocome to for experienced answers.  Everyone is different in protocols and healing time but this place has been great for me!  Again good luck!

Melissa
Aug 2007 - dislocation Rt knee-PT no improvement
Jan 08 TTT (Fulkerson)  Rt knee
Scope 6/08 LT Knee- debridgement medial femoral condyle w/stedman picking, part. lateral menisectomy
July 22 started 1st round of synvisc heading for 5 total....so far working!
Still having pain w/TTT knee pain

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 07:27:07 PM »
Good luck tomorrow!  Listen to the OS.  Take pain meds and ice ice ice. 

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
I'm back!  The surgery went really well yesterdy.  I got to the surgery center at 10, ans I was home by 3.  It went really fast.  I'm not sure if this is considered day 1 or 2 PO, you'll have to correct me but anyway...my surgery was about 1 hour long. My OS did a tibial tubercle osteotomy, chondroplasty on my patella and another lateral release.  The OS said he could see the problem when he got in there which is really good because there were some questions as to the actual problem.  I haven't had much pain at all and I'm really surprised.  I know most of it is because of the nerve block but that should be worn off by now.  The OS said no weight bearing the first 24 hours, then touch down weight only until I see him in about a week and a half.  I can't shower until Monday and that's one of the worst problems so far, well, that and not being able to get up and do/get what i want.  I have a question though, my instructions say to ice 30 minutes, 3-4 times a day.  Can I do more than that?  My foot has been swelling a lot and i've been trying to wiggle my toes and do ankle circles--would that cause any problems at this point with the surgery site?  It makes my foot feel so much better.  I slept really well last night, considering.  I was up about every hour or two, wiggled my foot some, then went right back to sleep.  When i woke up this morning I had no swelling in my foot at all and zero pain any where.

Well, enough rambling from me.  i hope today continues to go well, as long as I keep up with my meds i'm hoping to avoid and long periods of pain.

brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 05:16:03 PM »
Hi Brittany,

Sounds like you are doing well.  You are fine doing ankle pumps to help decrease the swelling. They will not cause any problems.  Also, be sure to elevate above your heart.

As for the ice...I have always been told to ice for 20 min per hour or so.  But if you were told to ice 30 min 3 to 4 times a day I would stick with that.  Most importent to follow your instructions.  You will notice the everyone on KG gets different PO instructions...you have the instructions your OS feels is best for you!

Keep up with your pain meds for the 1st few days and you will be fine pain wise.

Best Wishes,
Karen
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 05:25:44 PM by KW »
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline lb573

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 05:59:20 PM »
Hey Brittany! Sounds like you are doing great! As far as icing goes, i had a cryocuff and i had it on pretty much 24/7 for the first couple weeks. Listen to your OS, but it will not hurt to ice more than 3-4 times per day, just make sure there is always a layer in between your skin and the ice. Although you are feeling good, make sure to take your pain meds on a regular schedule the first few days for sure, as it is much easier to stay on top of the pain than to play catch-up after it has gotten ahead of you. Get plenty of rest, take your meds, ice, elevate and do what exercises you can do(ankle pumps) and before you know it you will be up and about!! Best of luck with continued recovery!

Leah
27 yo RN
L Knee:
07/'01 - scope
01/'02 - scope
12/'03 - LR
07/28/2006 - TTT/LR/Patellar Debridement
07/11/2007 - Screw Removal
R Knee:
07/06/2007 - Patellar dislocation
04/10/2008 - TTT/LR
06/11/2008 - MCL tear, Bone Bruise
09/29/2009 - Medial plication/reconstruction/debridement

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
I hope you continue to feel minimal pain and no more than that!!  The more you move your foot, the better.  When do you start PT?  Just curious.  Take a bath with your surgery leg sticking out of the tub. You can prop it up on the side.  My husband helped me with that.  I was always scared that even when I was allowed to take showers before stitches were out, that I would get the incisions all wet.  I eventually just couldn't take it anymore and put plastic wrap around it several times with tape around the top and bottom.  It never got wet!!  I hated that I had to do that for almost 2 weeks.  The baths lasted about 1 week.  I hated all of that.  Once I got my stitches out, I felt much better about showering and getting ready to go anywhere...before that I never wanted to go anywhere b/c it was such a hastle.  Anyway, just keep following your OS's instructions.  Icing more than 3-4 times a day shouldn't be a problem.  It doesn't hurt anything.  I think 3-4 times was a minimum.  The more you ice, the faster your swelling will go down.  Good luck with everything...keep up with pain meds!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 01:14:18 AM »
Farrah,

I don't know when I'll be starting PT, I should find out on the 18th when I go back to the OS.  Still VERY little pain, I'm starting to wonder when it's going to hit.  I've been icing and elevating all day, about to take 3rd pain pill for the day.  I hope the rest of you are doing well with your recoveries!!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 07:48:41 PM »
PO day #2

Today I'm having a little more pain, but still nowhere near what i've been expecting.  I am a little concerned though, they gave me a nerve block in my right leg and I am still having numbness in my thigh (I can't tell anywhere else because of the brace) and I can't feel the cold water running through the cryocuff...should i be worried?  or will it just take several days to get 100% feeling back from the nerve blocker?  I'll probably call the doctor tomorrow to check on it.  I'm also wondering if i can clean the incision on Monday.  The papers they sent me home with just says to clean it on Monday, but then another paper says the doctor will do it when i see him on the 18th, but that seems a little long to leave it without being cleaned.  I'll see what they say tomorrow.  I hope I can clean it tomorrow.  The best part about today was that my mom washed my hair!!  ( I know, lame, but SUCH a big difference)  It's the little things these days!

I'm taking percocet and I have been very dizzy from it.  I can hardly open my eyes all the way and find it hard to focus on what I'm doing.  I've thought of easing off the meds, but then I'm afraid of the pain.  Maybe in a few days when the pain goes down I'll lay off the meds.

Well, back to the couch for me.  Hope you're all doing well.

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 09:40:53 PM »
Brittany,

Keep taking the meds for a little while longer.  I don't get that affect with the percocet.  I really liked it actually.  I wish I was still on it b/c the vicodin doesn't seem to help me enough right now...of course I am almost 9 weeks PO.  I am not suppose to be in the this much pain this far out...so don't compare your story with mine.  I go to my OS on Thursday to see if they could give me a better answer on why I am feeling like this at 9 weeks!  Hopefully they will be straight with me.  They keep telling me it is muscle weakness, but I don't think it would be this bad with muscle weakness.  Anyway, sorry to go off on that.  If you can help it, stick with the meds 1-2 more days.  By then most of the bad pain you were suppose to have, will be gone.  I am happy for you that you haven't had to experience any excrutiating pain!  I was in tears a few times during the first 2 weeks.  A few times it was b/c of the osteotomy site was hurting so bad.  Other times, it was just surgery pain.  Right now my pain is knee cap pain...just like before surgery, but way worse.  Anyway, good luck with everything!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

brianne

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 11:11:33 PM »
Brittany,

The numbness is likely still from the nerve block.  I have a far different take on pain meds.  I am always off strong pain meds by two days after surgery.  Like you, they make me insanely dizzy and I found I functioned better without them.  You might think about asking for something not as strong as percoset if you are going to call your OS's office tomorrow.  There are lots of pain meds and percoset is a strong one and makes a lot of people dizzy.

Brianne

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 01:20:14 AM »
Hi there. I will chime in with all the other knee girls on here.  When I was post op they had me on my game ready ice machine all day. It turned on and off all by itself every 30 minutes.  Over the hours the ice would melt and it would be less and less cold.  Eventually I would notice that my discomfort was rising and I would stock it back up with more ice.....Put the layer between your skin and the ice wrap for sure.  I used mine round the clock at first and less and less over time based on my pain and swelling. 

Pain meds. You DO want to continue to take something around the clock.  If you feel that the percocet is too strong you could cut it in half. You can take less meds but ON a schedule and get by with less than waiting for your pain to hit and trying to play catch up.  I feel emotional, consitpated, hot, dizzy....etc on narcotics too.   When you feel you are tolerating well you can start alternating with advil....eventually you can stop taking them in the day and use them for sleep....or switch to something like Benadryl for sleep.   Darvocet is a narcotic that really wont hit you as much as Percocet....so you could ask for that instead.

The incision...dont worry if you arent cleaning it.  They usually put this iodine looking wash on your leg these days...it offers some continual bacterial protecion days after surgery. Plus..you arent getting it dirty. I would wait until they tell you to clean it to do it.   I had my surgery on 2/8. I had 24 stictches down the lateral part of my leg. In the hospital the Feb 8th, 9th, home the 10th.....they let me sit in the shower on the 11th on a shower chair. They said water could "run over" my leg but to not wash it. I used a hand held shower and sorta sprayed near the spot but not on it and it felt GREAT.   Stitches came out on 10 days after and they put steri strips on it.  They said one more week after that I could dunk the leg under water. Ahhhh....it was GREAT.   

It is GREAT that you are feeling so good already.   Pain will come and go so dont be scared if you have painful days starting up when you start to move more.   I had the nerve block too and my thigh was numb for a while also.   Also..I had this odd bad pain in my groin area about 4-5 days after my surgery...PT said that is where they put the nerve block needle in.  ouch. It went away after about 2 weeks.

Good luck and keep up the great work!
Laura  :)
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 03:12:28 PM »
I talked to the nurse today.  She said I don't get to shower until the 18th when I see the doctor, I was really hoping I got to shower today.  So, I had a sponge bath, which was wonderful!  I also talked to her about the numbness in my leg.  She waws a little concerned but said people my age sometimes take longer for the nerve block to wear off.  She said if I haven't noticed a difference by this afernoon to call back.  On one hand though since my leg is still numb I've hardly felt any pain at all, which is GREAT!  So when it does wear off I'll be ready to sit still for a while.  I've been cutting the percocet in half and taking them every 6 hours, that seems to kill the dizziness but still  give me enough meds for the pain.

I hope you're day is pain-free!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 09:33:18 PM »
PO day #4

Today has been pretty good.  I got up around 9 which is the latest I've slept since surgery so that was good.  I took a nap around 10:30 to 11:45.  I've had more pain today than the other days, I think the nerve block is just about completely worn off.  I'm still only taking 1/2 a pill of percocet and still experiencing some dizziness from time to time.  Not as bad as it was a few days ago.

My mom took me out for a ride in the car today.  it was good to just get out of the house.

I can't wait to get this immobilizer off, but that won't be for a while.  I REALLY want to bend my leg.  A few times I haven't been thinking and I'll go to bend my leg to get comfortable and I'm reminded very quickly that I just had A LOT of work done in there!  Oh, the pain!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 11:17:15 PM »
Ouch...yes..that bending knee thing is so painful isnt it?   I know what you mean about the immoblizer.  I have a straight leg cloth one with these velcro straps on it.  They put this sucker on me on Feb 8th.......yuck.  Today at PT I asked her if I could take it off...she did a test on me on the treadmill to watch me walk. I failed miserably...she said in two weeks she will re test me and see if I pass then. sigh.  She said at home now I can walk without it on but have to use the crutches...but anywhere out of the house it should be on.  yuck.

Thats too bad that the percocet make you so dizzy. I hate that feeling.  yuck.  I was also a very sad feeling person when taking it. It was so odd....rationally I wasnt sad...but I kept crying.  It is easy to have those down, feel sorry for yourself moments in recovery....getting out of the house is a GREAT thing to do....I know when I first came home from surgery I would sit out on the porch in the sun just to feel human.

Glad you slept some too!
LR 11/2006

Offline smkelly4kds

• Forum Faithful
    • Melissa's Blog
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 02:40:42 PM »
Brittany,

Sounds like you are doing really well! Since you had the nerve block it seems like you have not experienced the wonderful "blood rushes" when you stand up.  Its an instant painthat shoots right to the osteo site and down your leg.  Its is extremely painful and there is no denying what it is when you have it. 
   I am in a cloth brace with three velcro straps above and below my knee.  I am 7 wks PO and as much as I want to be rid of this lovely brace my Pt thinks I will be keeping it for a few more weeks.  My OS told me possibly till I am 10 weeks depends on what he finds on the 18th when he takes xrays again I guess.  Besides taking showers I do go without it when I am sitting or in the bed.  I am now sleeping without it but honestly I find that on some occasions that I sleep better and feel better when I wake up with it on.  Specially with nights like I had last night.
  I do occasionaly walk with crutches or walker without my brace but not often.  Trying to follow my OS orders as much as possible.  I was toe touch for 4 weeks and have been 25% weight bearing for the last 3.  I am able to put all my weight down without pain but I am again doing my best to follow the orders...which is hard!
   Getting out is a great thing for your mental status.  I have learned that surgery is tough not only on the part that has been "fixed" but emotionally and mentally as well.  You can get stir crazy.  I know I have been.  Just follow your orders, take the meds on schedule playing catch up to get the pain under control stinks, and ice!  rest!!  the more rest you get the faster your knee will heal! 
   Have a good week.  I see we head to the doc on the same day..18th.  I will be 8 weeks PO then!
melissa
Scope 6/08 LT Knee- debridgement medial femoral condyle w/stedman picking, part. lateral menisectomy

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 05:16:49 PM »
PO day #6

I didn't post yesterday because I had a lot of pain.  I think it's safe to say I've joined the rest of you in a least knowing what the pain is like.  (I wish I wasn't a mamber of this group!!  ;))  Anyway, I've started having blood rushes pretty bad yesterday and today.  I've been trying to put my leg down slowly to try to avoid some of it but it doesn't seem to help much.  Also, I've had my mom re-wrap my foot with the bandages, I'm not sure why the bandages go all the way down to the arch of my foot but it's really been bothering me.  When she started un wrapping it I saw that my foot had huge blisters and bruises in a couple of spots from the velcro on the bandage rubbing on my foot.  It hurts SO bad!  I've got it where the bandage stops at my ankle now, hopefully my foot heals up quickly. 

I took a whole pill of percocet last night because I was in so much pain and figured i wouldn't get dizzy since I'd be sleeping and I slept great until about 3 am.  I woke up several times fter that but didn't actually get out of bed until 10:30.   I also unbuckled the whole immobilizer (same kind as you, Melissa) last night just to get some air to my leg and it felt GREAT!  My OS said i could loosen it as long as I was sitting, so I had it open for about 30 minutes.  I may do that again today.

I have the rest of this week at home and then all of next week at home then I go back to work on the 24th. (I'm a teacher)  When I see the OS I think I'm going to ask for a different pain pill.  Percocet is fine while I'm at home.  I can deal with the dizziness since i can sleep it off but once I'm at work I can't be dizzy.  Hopefully something else will work better for me.  I'd switch now but the prescription for percocet was $56.  It seemed like a lot to me.  It was the generic kind too.

Well, I've been blabbing long enough!

melissa, I hope you get good news at your appointment on the 18th!!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 08:15:54 PM »
I'm oficially 1 week PO today.  I'm still hurting, but that's to be expected I would think at this point.  Last night I went out to dinner with my mom and then went to Target and drove the electronic cart around (I felt pretty stupid!).  It was good to get out for a little while.  I had my leg proped up on a chair at dinner, so that was fine but at target my leg was down the whole time so it started to hurt.  All in all it was good to get out.

I'm looking forward to my 1st post op appointment on Tuesday, maybe some of the bandages will get taken off.  I'm so itchy!  Will they take the stitches out?

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 08:23:15 PM »
Hi Brittany, 

My guess is that they will take the stitches out at your next appt - as long as your incision looks good.  Mine are normally taken out at 9 days PO.   

Were you told not to change the dressing?  Just curious!!  I am usually told to leave the surgical dressing for 2 or 3 days and then they can come off.  That itching would be driving me nuts too!

Sounds like you are going great.  Keep it up!
Karen
Right Knee
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 08:29:53 PM »
Karen,

I called my OS after surgery and they said not to change the dressing until my appointment with him.  I though a week and a half was a long time to leave it too!  I'm hoping for some relief soon!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 08:41:30 PM »
You can always take a Benadryl to help with the itching.  Just know that the Benadryl with the perc will make you very very sleepy.  I have to take benadryl with percs because the percs make me itch.  But i sleep really well  ;D
Right Knee
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 10:05:48 PM »
I bet you will get your sutures out...they usually come out by then...if they leave them in too long your skin wiill grow over them...so unless you have a big opening they will come out...then steri strips go on...those stay on about another week and then you can take them off too and then you can get your leg wet...    Lot of doctors leave the bandages on......it will feel GREAT to get them off!!!

You are doing great!  esp for one week out!!!!

:-)
LR 11/2006

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 01:25:34 AM »
Brittany, I hope your blood rushes have settled some.  I had them too, but I don't think I ever really complained about it.  Maybe they weren't that bad or something.  I definitely felt them though.  They just weren't as bad as some of the TTT pain I guess.  Anyway, I hope you are doing well.  I would take pain meds as long as they help you through pain.  There is no reason to suffer...especially if you are still resting at home.  Good luck at your apt on Tuesday.  I can't wait to hear what is said. 

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 02:23:29 AM »
How have you been??
Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2008, 09:38:40 PM »
I just got back from the doctor.  He said everything is going well and looks good.  He took the stitches out, took some x rays and put me in a new brace.  this brace is locking, I can bend it up to 30 degrees.  It felt so good to get the bandages off and get some air to it.  i am going to take a shower and clean it as soon as my husband gets home to help me.  I'm excited to get my leg wet!  The dr. also said I can bear my full weight on my leg as long as I use crutches to balance.  I've tried walking a little and it feels very weird.  Not painful really, but just strange to have my foot flat on the floor.  I'm pretty happhy with the appointment, he said I was healing quickly, which was good to hear.  He said I should come back in 2 weeks, then we'll work more in ROM.  Oh, and I'm supposed to work on building up the thigh muscles while I'm sitting around.  I haven't taken any pain pills today, so that's good.  Today was my most active day since the surgery.  I went to Target, Walmart and out to lunch.  It was good to get out, but I'm incredibly tired now, so I think it's time to take a nap before dinner is delivered.  Some couples at our church are nice enough to bring us dinner all this week and next week.   I'm very lucky!

Hope you're all doing well and having a pain free day!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 12:55:04 AM »
Congrats Brittany!!  That is a quick recovery...kind of like mine...but I started ROM on day 1.  You are only a few weeks out, right?  Well be careful trying to walk until your muscles get stronger.  Congrats again!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2008, 01:55:17 AM »
Brittany..that is wonderful...and wonderful about your church friends...you know you would do the same for them...it is a blessing to have that support!   The bath will feel AMAZING....I take so many baths now b/c they feel sooo good......Cant believe you went to target AND walmart..you are amazing!!!    good job!
LR 11/2006

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2008, 02:53:11 PM »
Well, hello!  I haven't posted on here in a while!  I'm a little over 2 weeks PO now.  Once the doctor told me to start walking a little I've been trying to do that but have found a whole new meaning of pain.  THe first few days after my appointment I was in incredible pain.  I was in tears the day after, I was so proud of myself that I hadn't cried at all throughout this whole experience but that's out the window now.

Today is my first day back at work.  I've got my leg propped up on a chair and a pillow.  It's a little uncomfortable, but not too bad.  I'm really tired though.  I've got to get used to being awake all day now instead of napping on and off throughout the day ;)

I've been pretty active the last few days (well, compared to the last 2 weeks I'm active).  I went to several stores over the weekend, sat outside and watched my husband plant flowers and walked a TON. 

I have a question:  I've had steri strips on the whole time since surgery, the OS said they would come off in the shower within a few days of my appointment.  That was on the 18th of March, I still have them on.  Should I leave them or pull them off?  They're not really even comming up around the edges.  Some of them have a lot of dried blood on them from the surgery, will it contaminate the incision?

Thanks!
Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2008, 03:38:24 PM »
Hi Brittany,  Sorry you are having some pain.  When you first start to walk it is going to be uncomfy.  Take it slow...You don't want to jump off the crutches and walk everywhere (I'm guilty of doing this every time!!)...just a little more every day.  It will get better!!!

As for the steri strips...You can try soaping them up really well in the shower (for a few days) to break up the adhesive. Or you can be bad like me and just trake them off.....ok not my brightest move...but I was told to leave them on for a week and they would fall off. I gave them almost 2 weeks then took them off.  Don't worry about the incision...it's long closed by now.

Enjoy your 1st day at work!!
Karen
Right Knee
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline sailchic

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2008, 03:57:28 PM »
Brittany-  This might be a whole load of hooie, but I once had a doc tell me that the longer you leave the steri-strips on the better.  He actually said leave them until they fall off on their own  While the incision is healed, keeping them on lets the scar form a little better and can make for a better asthetic appearance in the end... I guess it makes the scar get tougher before you start stretching it.  Then again my latest guy didn't even want to put them on after checking the incision at 10 days p/o until I asked him to.  Part of it depends on what kinds of stiches you had I think since this time around they were the long holding disolvables and the others were either stiches that had to be taken out or staples.

Good luck with your first day back.  Good thinking with the pillow.  I had my leg up on an oddly constructed platform of copy paper :)

Liz
11/02 L LR, Medial Reefing,
9/05 L TTT, Medial Reefing
9/06 L unscrewed, LR repair
12/07 L TTT revision
12/08 L unscrewed
12/09 R TTT
5/10 R unscrewed

9/11 L MPFL & LPFL repair, VMO adv. -- "global tightening"

EDS Classical Type

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2008, 04:21:27 PM »
They told me they'd fall off after a week also, but they never did.  At exactly a week, I took them off.  I was thrilled too b/c then I felt that I could really scrub that area with soap!!  Anyway, have a great day and I hope your pain doesn't end horribly today as your first day of work!  The days will get easier...promise.  My first day back after 2 weeks PO was difficult, but day after day it was easier and easier.  Getting comfortable at my desk was the most difficult. Anyway, good luck with your pain and work!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline smkelly4kds

• Forum Faithful
    • Melissa's Blog
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2008, 10:23:37 PM »
My steri strips did fall off either.  I was told I could tae them off once the edges started lifting.  But I had a reaction to the adhesive and they were taken off.  I was about 10 days PO when I was told I could remove them.  It felt so much better.  GOod to hear you are doing well.  Take it easy and get rest and ice tonight after work.  You will probably crash.  Which is good to rest as much as you can.  I am 9 wk PO and I am just now FWB with crutches.  I am doing well just achey muscles from doing too much I think.  hope you had a good day
melissa

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2008, 02:17:25 AM »
Hi there. I had sutures in (24 of them) for 10 days. Then they put steri strips on and told me to take them off in one week...... They came off no problem. Only one looked like it was leaky so I put a tight band aid over that one place.....otherwise...then they said to start massaging the scar to keep it from healing in a big scar. 

Hope that helps.
:-)
Laura
LR 11/2006

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2008, 03:50:37 PM »
Well, I'm too much of a wimp to take them off just in case they're actually doing some good for my scar.  The edges are starting to peel a little, I'll take them off by next tuesday, the 1st.  I have my next appointment then.

I'm really wishing I had another week off of work.  As soon as I get home (3:00) I crash and don't wake up until dinner.  Then I lay on the couch until about 9, then go to bed.  I'm exhausted.  I'm hoping this passes very soon.

I asked my OS to give me a different prescription for when I'm at work, something that wouldn't make me dizzy.  They gave me Lortab.  I took it yesterday and I was so out of it all day.  The kids were starting to question if I was on something illegal.  I don't think I'll try that again today, I'm in a lot of pain though so I may try 1/2 a pill at lunch.

I'm working on my ROM a little and gaining my strength back in my thighs.  I feel like I'm not really getting anywhere with the stregthening part...all in time I guess.

I hope you're all having a good day!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2008, 05:14:29 PM »
Brittany, your OS is crazy for thinking Lortab would help not being dizzy during the day!!  That is what my 7.5mgs of hydrocodone are!  It is like vicodin.  I get sleepy every time I take it!  Despite that, I take 2 every 4 hrs!  I would ask for Tramadal to see if that helps...it is suppose to be easier during the day.  It didn't help my pain, but it may be worth a try for you!  I understand about you crashig when you get home everyday!  I don't get home until 8:00pm or later most days. Once I arrive, I am tired and in pain. Good luck again!

Farrah

11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2008, 03:35:45 AM »
I gave in to taking off the steri strips tonight!  I was starring at them while sitting on the couch and decided to just get it over with.  I think the scar looks pretty good.  It used to look like a huge paper cut, now it definitely looks like a scar from an incision.  Oh well, there goes my leg modeling career! ;D

I didn't take any pain meds while at work.  I didn't want to risk being dizzy.  I took 1/2 a pill wiith dinner and didn't feel dizzy at all.  Maybe I'll try 1/2 a pill at work tomorrow with a lot of food.  I know i don't work as long hours as a lot of you.  Farrah- I don't know how you do it!

I've noticed that I still have a lot of numbness in my leg.  All along my inner thigh, around the incision and around and down my calf.  It's incredibly sensitive.  My ankle is also very sore, swollen and black and blue.  It's painful to walk on it.  Has anyone else had this?  I am also having some weird nerve sensations on the inner side of my rt knee.  It's very short, sharp twitches in the nerve, or at least it feels that way.  It can be painfu at times other times just annoying.  I probably have 50-100 of them a day.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2008, 01:04:45 AM »
Brittany, I had my knee surgery a month before you.  I still have that numbness sensitive feeling on my knee.  Certain areas are getting better but there are large areas that arent yet. I had it after my last surgery too....it does get better.......over time....when you are a few months out you can massage that area and it will get better. For now...just let it be.  Those sharp nerve jumpy feelings are normal too....it can be some nerve endings sorting themselves out....also...when your knee is still weak some nerves can get trappd nad pinched by a funny walking style.....dont worry about it yet...totally normal.

Yes...the bruising does travel south over time. I had no bruising for 2 weeks then all of the sudden at week 2-3 my ankle turned  puffy and purple....it was odd....and it went away......  Are you still elevating a lot?  You have to continue to elevate for months....it is the pits..but it is true....it will hlp that paiinful swelling/bruising in your ankle.  Moist heat can help resolve bruises..you could alternate a moist heat wash cloth on that ankle wtih ice and it might help it.....ouch.

You are just like me....I peeled one steri strip off...thought...hmm...looks good......took another one.....hmm...looks good...next thing I know they were ALL off..ha ha.... I have a really huge ugly scar too..I posted ti on my diary if you want to compare ugly pics..haha.....MY PT says to put Vit E on it all the time....my dermatologist sait to put "scar Guard" on it.....I try it all.  Oh...and SUN SCREEN for at least 3-4 months she said....that will be hard this summer.

Take care! Your doing great!
Laura
LR 11/2006

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2008, 02:16:55 PM »
Laura-  Thanks for the reply.  I've had my leg up on a chair all day while at work and then at home I have it elevated on the couch and icing.  I really hope some of the sharp sensations stop soon. 

Today is 3 weeks PO.  I go back to the OS on Tuesday.  Last time I went he told me not to put anything on my scar.  Now that it's pretty well sealed up I put some lotion on it last night.  My legs were so dry!  Today is also the first day that I'm not wearing an ace bandage wrapped around it for extra support.  I just have jogging pants and the brace on.  I feel a little unstable not having the ace bandage on but I figured it was time.  The OS told me 2 weeks ago that it wasn't necessary to have it.

I'm still having pain.  I'm still surprised when I have pain since I had the nerve block that didn't wear off for several days after surgery feeling numb became my "normal".  Now that I'm in the real world with the rest of you and able to feel the pain I'm not liking it. 

I am so ready for the weekend!!  I don't think I could handle another day at work.  It's the first week back after spring break so the kids are crazy and I'm tired.  I plan on sleeping a LOT this weekend!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline smkelly4kds

• Forum Faithful
    • Melissa's Blog
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2008, 02:35:17 PM »
you are doing great!  I  have no idea how you teach all day with your knee,  I have 4 kids and dont feel like I can keep up with them hats off to you!  What grade do you teach?  The nerve thing is painful when they are waking up.  This I know.  I had shocks so strong that it would lift my knee off the  bed and I was in that terrible brace.  I had to wear the brace till I was at 8 weeks PO if you feel better with the ace bandage then go ahead and wear it.  Your OS may have opinions about that but if you feel better wearing it then wear it.  You are still pretty early out so do what makes you feel  more comfortable. 
   The strength is a long time to build up.  I started ROM at 6wk PO I amnow 9 wk PO  and just starting strengthening exercises (resistance)  I have seen small inprovements daily.  Its a day by day process.  I wish it would speed up but I know eventually things will be back to normal or at least a new normal.  Hope you have a great weekend of rest!  ICE, ELEVATE and RELAX!

Melissa

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2008, 02:53:26 PM »
Melissa- I teach 7th, 8th and 9th grade special ed. Reading and Science.  The kids are pretty good about running errands for me and not coming near my leg!

Thanks for the support!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline smkelly4kds

• Forum Faithful
    • Melissa's Blog
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2008, 05:04:41 AM »
Special Ed .... you are a wonderful teacher! I love teachers but special ed teachers are my fav.  I close friend if mine is a special ed teacher in high school.  My son Kristofer is a special ed kid.  He receives OT, speech, his special ed teacher works with him and he gets extra time for help if needed in the school resource room.  He is only in Kindergarden right now. 
  So get some much needed rest!
   Melissa

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2008, 02:54:43 PM »
I am a volunteer to help train special ed kids with tennis!!  I can't do it right now, but will start once I can walk or stand for a period of time.  I used to coach some in gymnastics.  It was difficult sometimes. 

Well I hope you are feeling okay today!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2008, 07:06:18 PM »
Hi everyone,

It always seems that somehow everyone is connected to someone in special education or someone with special needs...small world!  I like my job, some days more than others!  I like the age group I'm in. It's fun to watch the kids grow and figure out who they are and make decisions about their life.  A few of my students will go to college, most of them will go into some type of job training depending on their interests and abilities.  I always said I wouldn't teach Jr. High because I hated that phase when I was that age and now here I am and I wouldn't change a thing!

As for the knee... I had my 2nd OS appointment since the surgery, 3.5 weeks ago.  This visit was very good!  He said I'm progressing very well, the bone has very visible areas of healing back together.  He said I'm going to start PT, 2 days a week for 4 weeks.  He unlocked my brace up to 90 degrees (was 30) and said at the next appointment (4 weeks away) he will have me lose the brace all together!!!!  I'm so excited to get this brace off.  He said I can start walking without my crutches as soon as I want.  The harder I push myself the sooner I'll be back to normal!  I asked about going to Lav Vegas for my husband's job at the end of May and he said it wouldn't be a problem, I should be almost at 100% by then!!  I still can't drive yet, another week or so.

I am just really happy with the news.  It just seemed like things are going faster and better than I expected.  I thought I'd be on crutches until the middle of May, so this is very good news!

I also asked him if he thought I would need to get the other knee done.  He said to wait until the pain worsens.  It's not horrible now, just mildly annoying.  He said sometimes people need both done and sometimes they don't it just depends.  So I'll be keeping an eye on lefty as I'm becoming more mobile.  Hopefully I don't have to have it done.  We'd like to start a family as soon as righty is better! ;D

Well, that's it for me.  I hope you're all having a good day!  --Oh, and I got a different pain killer for work, I'm done being knocked out with Lortab!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2008, 08:44:30 PM »
Brittany, good news!!  I am so happy for you!!  What is your new pain killer?  Just curious!!  Have fun weaning off crutches!!  Good luck!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2008, 03:53:36 AM »
So I've been walking a little bit tonight and I'm VERY slow!  It feels so weird to be walking.  It's strange to say, but I'm not very good at it.  I feel pretty unstable, like my knee is wobbling around but I'm thinking that's to be expected until it's a little stronger.

Farrah-  The OS gave me Tramadol, I haven't tried it yet, tomorrow I'll know more.  Hopefully it doesn't make me too dizzy.  Hope you're doing better tonight!  Put that leg up and ice it---hope you get some rest and relief soon!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2008, 01:02:14 PM »
Brittany, once your muscles get stronger, you should be able to walk easier.  At least it doesn't hurt to walk!!  That is great!  As for tramadol, my OS gave me that when I complained of dizziness and being too tired on the hydrocodone!  The tramadol didn't help me, but it didn't make me dizzy either!  Hopefully it works for you!!  Let me know...I am curious!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2008, 03:55:02 AM »
Brittany, sounds like you are doing well!  Keep up the good work!!!

LR 11/2006

Offline smkelly4kds

• Forum Faithful
    • Melissa's Blog
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2008, 05:44:31 AM »
The wobbles are definately normal.  I still feel wobbly occassional usually at night when I am tired and I am now 10 wk PO.  It gets better.  The strange stiffness thing is what I want to go away.  have a great weekend
melissa :)