Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Brittany's Fulkerson Osteotomy 3/7/08  (Read 8220 times)

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Brittany's Fulkerson Osteotomy 3/7/08
« on: March 06, 2008, 05:31:14 PM »
Hi!  my name is Brittany, I'm 25 and have been having knee pain for several years.  I had a lateral release in december of '06, but found no relief.  I am scheduled to have a Fulkerson Osteotomy tomorrow (Friday) at 10 am.  I'm pretty nervous about it and have posted back and forth with a few of you so that helped tremendously! Thanks again!!

Just thought I'd introduce myself before the big day.  I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06
Fulkerson osteotomy/Chondroplasty/lateral release 3/08

Offline smkelly4kds

• Forum Faithful
  • Longing for a new knees!
    • Melissa's Blog
Re: Brittany's Fulkerson Osteotomy 3/7/08
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 06:02:09 PM »
HI Brittany

Good luck with the surgery!  I am 6 wk PO with the same (Fulkerson)  Just started ROM and doing great!  I can see improvements every day and look forward to walking crutch free soon.  NOt able to till 8 wk but looking forward anyway.  Biggest sugestion, take your pain meds regularly as well as ice!  It will help alot.  Need anything answered thisis the place tocome to for experienced answers.  Everyone is different in protocols and healing time but this place has been great for me!  Again good luck!

Melissa
Aug 2007 - dislocation Rt knee-PT no improvement
Jan 08 TTT (Fulkerson)  Rt knee
Scope 6/08 LT Knee- debridgement medial femoral condyle w/stedman picking, part. lateral menisectomy
July 22 started 1st round of synvisc heading for 5 total....so far working!
Still having pain w/TTT knee pain

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 07:27:07 PM »
Good luck tomorrow!  Listen to the OS.  Take pain meds and ice ice ice. 

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
I'm back!  The surgery went really well yesterdy.  I got to the surgery center at 10, ans I was home by 3.  It went really fast.  I'm not sure if this is considered day 1 or 2 PO, you'll have to correct me but anyway...my surgery was about 1 hour long. My OS did a tibial tubercle osteotomy, chondroplasty on my patella and another lateral release.  The OS said he could see the problem when he got in there which is really good because there were some questions as to the actual problem.  I haven't had much pain at all and I'm really surprised.  I know most of it is because of the nerve block but that should be worn off by now.  The OS said no weight bearing the first 24 hours, then touch down weight only until I see him in about a week and a half.  I can't shower until Monday and that's one of the worst problems so far, well, that and not being able to get up and do/get what i want.  I have a question though, my instructions say to ice 30 minutes, 3-4 times a day.  Can I do more than that?  My foot has been swelling a lot and i've been trying to wiggle my toes and do ankle circles--would that cause any problems at this point with the surgery site?  It makes my foot feel so much better.  I slept really well last night, considering.  I was up about every hour or two, wiggled my foot some, then went right back to sleep.  When i woke up this morning I had no swelling in my foot at all and zero pain any where.

Well, enough rambling from me.  i hope today continues to go well, as long as I keep up with my meds i'm hoping to avoid and long periods of pain.

brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 05:16:03 PM »
Hi Brittany,

Sounds like you are doing well.  You are fine doing ankle pumps to help decrease the swelling. They will not cause any problems.  Also, be sure to elevate above your heart.

As for the ice...I have always been told to ice for 20 min per hour or so.  But if you were told to ice 30 min 3 to 4 times a day I would stick with that.  Most importent to follow your instructions.  You will notice the everyone on KG gets different PO instructions...you have the instructions your OS feels is best for you!

Keep up with your pain meds for the 1st few days and you will be fine pain wise.

Best Wishes,
Karen
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 05:25:44 PM by KW »
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline lb573

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 05:59:20 PM »
Hey Brittany! Sounds like you are doing great! As far as icing goes, i had a cryocuff and i had it on pretty much 24/7 for the first couple weeks. Listen to your OS, but it will not hurt to ice more than 3-4 times per day, just make sure there is always a layer in between your skin and the ice. Although you are feeling good, make sure to take your pain meds on a regular schedule the first few days for sure, as it is much easier to stay on top of the pain than to play catch-up after it has gotten ahead of you. Get plenty of rest, take your meds, ice, elevate and do what exercises you can do(ankle pumps) and before you know it you will be up and about!! Best of luck with continued recovery!

Leah
27 yo RN
L Knee:
07/'01 - scope
01/'02 - scope
12/'03 - LR
07/28/2006 - TTT/LR/Patellar Debridement
07/11/2007 - Screw Removal
R Knee:
07/06/2007 - Patellar dislocation
04/10/2008 - TTT/LR
06/11/2008 - MCL tear, Bone Bruise
09/29/2009 - Medial plication/reconstruction/debridement

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
I hope you continue to feel minimal pain and no more than that!!  The more you move your foot, the better.  When do you start PT?  Just curious.  Take a bath with your surgery leg sticking out of the tub. You can prop it up on the side.  My husband helped me with that.  I was always scared that even when I was allowed to take showers before stitches were out, that I would get the incisions all wet.  I eventually just couldn't take it anymore and put plastic wrap around it several times with tape around the top and bottom.  It never got wet!!  I hated that I had to do that for almost 2 weeks.  The baths lasted about 1 week.  I hated all of that.  Once I got my stitches out, I felt much better about showering and getting ready to go anywhere...before that I never wanted to go anywhere b/c it was such a hastle.  Anyway, just keep following your OS's instructions.  Icing more than 3-4 times a day shouldn't be a problem.  It doesn't hurt anything.  I think 3-4 times was a minimum.  The more you ice, the faster your swelling will go down.  Good luck with everything...keep up with pain meds!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 01:14:18 AM »
Farrah,

I don't know when I'll be starting PT, I should find out on the 18th when I go back to the OS.  Still VERY little pain, I'm starting to wonder when it's going to hit.  I've been icing and elevating all day, about to take 3rd pain pill for the day.  I hope the rest of you are doing well with your recoveries!!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 07:48:41 PM »
PO day #2

Today I'm having a little more pain, but still nowhere near what i've been expecting.  I am a little concerned though, they gave me a nerve block in my right leg and I am still having numbness in my thigh (I can't tell anywhere else because of the brace) and I can't feel the cold water running through the cryocuff...should i be worried?  or will it just take several days to get 100% feeling back from the nerve blocker?  I'll probably call the doctor tomorrow to check on it.  I'm also wondering if i can clean the incision on Monday.  The papers they sent me home with just says to clean it on Monday, but then another paper says the doctor will do it when i see him on the 18th, but that seems a little long to leave it without being cleaned.  I'll see what they say tomorrow.  I hope I can clean it tomorrow.  The best part about today was that my mom washed my hair!!  ( I know, lame, but SUCH a big difference)  It's the little things these days!

I'm taking percocet and I have been very dizzy from it.  I can hardly open my eyes all the way and find it hard to focus on what I'm doing.  I've thought of easing off the meds, but then I'm afraid of the pain.  Maybe in a few days when the pain goes down I'll lay off the meds.

Well, back to the couch for me.  Hope you're all doing well.

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 09:40:53 PM »
Brittany,

Keep taking the meds for a little while longer.  I don't get that affect with the percocet.  I really liked it actually.  I wish I was still on it b/c the vicodin doesn't seem to help me enough right now...of course I am almost 9 weeks PO.  I am not suppose to be in the this much pain this far out...so don't compare your story with mine.  I go to my OS on Thursday to see if they could give me a better answer on why I am feeling like this at 9 weeks!  Hopefully they will be straight with me.  They keep telling me it is muscle weakness, but I don't think it would be this bad with muscle weakness.  Anyway, sorry to go off on that.  If you can help it, stick with the meds 1-2 more days.  By then most of the bad pain you were suppose to have, will be gone.  I am happy for you that you haven't had to experience any excrutiating pain!  I was in tears a few times during the first 2 weeks.  A few times it was b/c of the osteotomy site was hurting so bad.  Other times, it was just surgery pain.  Right now my pain is knee cap pain...just like before surgery, but way worse.  Anyway, good luck with everything!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

brianne

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 11:11:33 PM »
Brittany,

The numbness is likely still from the nerve block.  I have a far different take on pain meds.  I am always off strong pain meds by two days after surgery.  Like you, they make me insanely dizzy and I found I functioned better without them.  You might think about asking for something not as strong as percoset if you are going to call your OS's office tomorrow.  There are lots of pain meds and percoset is a strong one and makes a lot of people dizzy.

Brianne

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 01:20:14 AM »
Hi there. I will chime in with all the other knee girls on here.  When I was post op they had me on my game ready ice machine all day. It turned on and off all by itself every 30 minutes.  Over the hours the ice would melt and it would be less and less cold.  Eventually I would notice that my discomfort was rising and I would stock it back up with more ice.....Put the layer between your skin and the ice wrap for sure.  I used mine round the clock at first and less and less over time based on my pain and swelling. 

Pain meds. You DO want to continue to take something around the clock.  If you feel that the percocet is too strong you could cut it in half. You can take less meds but ON a schedule and get by with less than waiting for your pain to hit and trying to play catch up.  I feel emotional, consitpated, hot, dizzy....etc on narcotics too.   When you feel you are tolerating well you can start alternating with advil....eventually you can stop taking them in the day and use them for sleep....or switch to something like Benadryl for sleep.   Darvocet is a narcotic that really wont hit you as much as Percocet....so you could ask for that instead.

The incision...dont worry if you arent cleaning it.  They usually put this iodine looking wash on your leg these days...it offers some continual bacterial protecion days after surgery. Plus..you arent getting it dirty. I would wait until they tell you to clean it to do it.   I had my surgery on 2/8. I had 24 stictches down the lateral part of my leg. In the hospital the Feb 8th, 9th, home the 10th.....they let me sit in the shower on the 11th on a shower chair. They said water could "run over" my leg but to not wash it. I used a hand held shower and sorta sprayed near the spot but not on it and it felt GREAT.   Stitches came out on 10 days after and they put steri strips on it.  They said one more week after that I could dunk the leg under water. Ahhhh....it was GREAT.   

It is GREAT that you are feeling so good already.   Pain will come and go so dont be scared if you have painful days starting up when you start to move more.   I had the nerve block too and my thigh was numb for a while also.   Also..I had this odd bad pain in my groin area about 4-5 days after my surgery...PT said that is where they put the nerve block needle in.  ouch. It went away after about 2 weeks.

Good luck and keep up the great work!
Laura  :)
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 03:12:28 PM »
I talked to the nurse today.  She said I don't get to shower until the 18th when I see the doctor, I was really hoping I got to shower today.  So, I had a sponge bath, which was wonderful!  I also talked to her about the numbness in my leg.  She waws a little concerned but said people my age sometimes take longer for the nerve block to wear off.  She said if I haven't noticed a difference by this afernoon to call back.  On one hand though since my leg is still numb I've hardly felt any pain at all, which is GREAT!  So when it does wear off I'll be ready to sit still for a while.  I've been cutting the percocet in half and taking them every 6 hours, that seems to kill the dizziness but still  give me enough meds for the pain.

I hope you're day is pain-free!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline Brittany0183

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 09:33:18 PM »
PO day #4

Today has been pretty good.  I got up around 9 which is the latest I've slept since surgery so that was good.  I took a nap around 10:30 to 11:45.  I've had more pain today than the other days, I think the nerve block is just about completely worn off.  I'm still only taking 1/2 a pill of percocet and still experiencing some dizziness from time to time.  Not as bad as it was a few days ago.

My mom took me out for a ride in the car today.  it was good to just get out of the house.

I can't wait to get this immobilizer off, but that won't be for a while.  I REALLY want to bend my leg.  A few times I haven't been thinking and I'll go to bend my leg to get comfortable and I'm reminded very quickly that I just had A LOT of work done in there!  Oh, the pain!

Brittany
Lateral release 12/06

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 11:17:15 PM »
Ouch...yes..that bending knee thing is so painful isnt it?   I know what you mean about the immoblizer.  I have a straight leg cloth one with these velcro straps on it.  They put this sucker on me on Feb 8th.......yuck.  Today at PT I asked her if I could take it off...she did a test on me on the treadmill to watch me walk. I failed miserably...she said in two weeks she will re test me and see if I pass then. sigh.  She said at home now I can walk without it on but have to use the crutches...but anywhere out of the house it should be on.  yuck.

Thats too bad that the percocet make you so dizzy. I hate that feeling.  yuck.  I was also a very sad feeling person when taking it. It was so odd....rationally I wasnt sad...but I kept crying.  It is easy to have those down, feel sorry for yourself moments in recovery....getting out of the house is a GREAT thing to do....I know when I first came home from surgery I would sit out on the porch in the sun just to feel human.

Glad you slept some too!
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08