Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain 3 years after Fulkerson...HELP, Please!  (Read 1042 times)

Offline lmhluvsdolphins

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain 3 years after Fulkerson...HELP, Please!
« on: March 06, 2008, 03:33:00 AM »
Hi...I used to be on here all the time right after I had my Fulkerson procedure....but have dropped off for a while.  I had my procedure 3 years ago in August and had the screws removed 2 years ago in August.

I have started to have pain in my knee, my knee is popping, and it creaks. I don't have any insurance now and won't have any til next year...but I can't keep on with this pain.

Iam just trying to see if anyone has had any problems like this after their Fulkerson?? I am not sure if my cartilage is gone or what??

If anyone has had the same experience or problem please let me know.

Thanks
Lisa :)
Lisa - Fulkerson 8/4/05

Offline trish85

• Forum Faithful
Re: Pain 3 years after Fulkerson...HELP, Please!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 04:59:18 AM »
hey lisa
Are you having any patellar instability?  I didn't have  a fulkerson but i have had similar pain I just chopped it up to arthritis
good luck
trish
R LR 2/02
R TTT/LR 8/02
L LR 1/03
R hardware removal 7/03
L TTT/LR 8/03
L hardware removeal 6/04
L VMO realignment 6/05
L TTT/VMO revision 10/05
R VMO advancement 4/06
L hardware removed 7/06
R VMO recon 9/06
L VMO recon 7/07
L MPFL recon w/ hamstring autograft 3/14/08
EDS type 3

Offline amoore

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 01:44:06 AM »
HI Lisa--
I am new to this site... but your comments caught my eye.  I just had the Fulkerson procedure on my right knee in Jan. and have just started to put weight on it.  I have noticed the "creaking/popping" sounds you are talking about- seems like it needs to crack all the time to feel like it is in the right place.  I was hoping that it would go away with time, but it sounds like yours is worse now... did you get any other answers to your issues? What have your doctors said--- any recent xrays?  Good luck-- sure hope you can get some relief. Any advice on how to best rehab and excercise?

thanks!-- Annette

Offline amandalee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 05:39:04 AM »
hey
i had my fulkerson/lr in august of 2005 and i am having the same problem right now....
i had a lot of things go wrong with mine and they told me that i couldnt make it worse so i started doing gymnastics and it is popping/clicking everytime i bend it with my muscles tightened if that makes sense.
it seems to be getting worse and worse and im thinking im going to call my doctor tomorrow cuz somthing must be wrong. although last time i complained it hurt they said it was just because of the screws so im glad you had yours out and are having the same problem so i can prove its not the screws.....
ill let you know what the doctor says/ does so maybe it can help you too

amanda

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 10:09:22 AM »
I had the Fulkerson august 2002 and mine was successfull. Though the clicking is still present. My kneecap still isn't and will never be perfectly alligned (my kneecaps deformed from the years of maltracking!), so that explains a lot. But it's much better than before the surgery!
I had quite some pain for the first 1.5 year post-op then it slowely went away as my muscles got stronger. Now I only have pain when I overdo it (and I mean that, I do a lot, including my job and sports sports sports! and my knee can handle that). Screws still in knee, no problems I don't even notice them in any way. They are my best friends  :D
Only issue I have is permanent swelling, not much but it's there. Of course I am a very busy woman, never sit still and enjoy active life! Might wanna ask OS for advice, brace it or not during competition matches?? Only for swelling purposes, I have no instabillity or pain of any kind!

Anyways, I hope you get some positive answers soon, can't really help you out, just wanna wish ya good luck!!

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline JulieRose6

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 07:03:39 AM »
I had a Fulkerson surgery in December of 2001 and honestly I never got pain free after that. I had 4 surgeries afterwards in which I did dislocate my kneecap once after it. I just had a transplant surgery a little over four weeks ago. I have not really thought it was quite a successful surgery, I still have pain in the lower part of my knee where they broke my bone. I don't know what to say but try accupuncture that has helped me through the pain. If you need anything else just ask. But i feel your pain
Arthoscopic (3/2002)
Fulkerson/Lateral Release/Arthoscopic (12/2002)
Arthoscopic/ Screw Removal (10/2003)
Arthoscopic (12/2006)
Oats Procedure (3/2008)
Partial Knee Replacement (11/09)
Partial Knee Replacement (6/10)

support