Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: microfracture to back of kneecap and severe arthritis....please help!  (Read 824 times)

Offline hope322

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello,
        Two months ago I underwent surgery to have a plica band removed.  While doing the surgery my dr. found that I have severe arthrits on the back of the kneecap and the articular cartildge is gone.  He did a microfracture with the hope to grow something back.  I have been in therapy for two months and I still can't do a straight leg raise and the leg extension is horible to do, with only 10 pounds.  Does anyone have any suggestions for me?  Is the leg extension causing more damage?  I am completely confused as to what to be doing and I don't know if the therapist knows what to do just because they tell me that my knee is the worst they have seen in thirty years of practice....Im only 27!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: microfracture to back of kneecap and severe arthritis....please help!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 03:15:04 PM »
Sorry you're having problems.  By leg extensions do you mean using a machine like this?
  Or are you using weights to extend you leg?  I have been to;d that these are bad for knees with patella femoral issues  because it loads the patella too much; and with the new micro fracture there you don't want to stress that area.  There are other exercises that will strengthen the quads without stressing the PFJ so much.

Are there other PTs that you could go to?  If so see if you can find one that understands knees better, maybe one with advanced training in knee rehab.

Good luck!

HUGs
Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline hope322

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: microfracture to back of kneecap and severe arthritis....please help!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 03:27:08 PM »
Hi !
   Yes, I mean the leg extension machine, just like your picture.  My PT seems to know what is best and is in constant contact with the dr. but what seems strange is that they do not want me doing stairs because it puts to much strain on the kneecap.......but that is exactly what the leg extension machine does.....if not worse!  My next appt is on Saturday and I think I am going to address this with him.  It is making me nervous to do that if it is causing more strain and not helping with the healing process. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

support