Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Quad Cramps at night ??  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Quad Cramps at night ??
« on: March 05, 2008, 06:29:21 AM »

Ok its not bone pain.. or overused muscle pain..  It is not OA pain

But every once in a blue moon I get what I call uncomfortable quad at night.It always seems to be three inches above where the quad was cut.

Always at night -- It is not like a charlie horse in the calf pain. Pain med like  Loracet does not make it go away. Mobic does not ease the uncomfortable feeling either.   Lidocaine patches sometimes helps

Kicking my legs around while lying down seems to distract from this annoying feeling.  Its like a taffy pull feeling but rubbing the muscle .. it does not feel tense to be causing it.

Also as a side note .. I had a TKR over a year ago and the spot that always had been numb on my lateral side where they cut the nerve .. well the feeling is starting to return to it.  ..

Any chance that the quad thing is some nerve coming back around from being traumtized ???

Doesnt bother me enough to want to ring my OS or Go see my GP..  been reading that maybe I could just dehydrated?  Anybody take b-12 for leg cramps??  Could the added crabby just be coming from the rain and pressure changes making the quad get all fussy at night?  Its been very cold one day 20's  and than a few days later in the 60's

The lidoderm patch seems to be settling it down now.. 

Go figure

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Quad Cramps at night ??
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 06:36:57 AM »
Some bloodwork will for sure say if something is missing.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 07:00:09 AM »
Hmmmm....I have the problem at night, but it is cramping. My OS prescribed muscle relaxers and they help.

Could be the quad responding. I am curious. Let me know what you find out....

DONNA
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 02:16:03 PM »
This is totally off the subject, almost.  My mom who had a hip replacement one year ago is having quad cramps, and only at night.  Her os prescribed quinine - which unfortunately you can not get unless you've been diagnosed with malaria!  But he then found another medication for her.  She's just started it so I don't know if its helped her yet.  Hes os said its not uncommon for this to happen with any surgery up to several years later with the muscles totally waking up.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 05:59:16 PM »
definitely sounds like muscles waking up - at night when you fully relax your body it starts building and repairing muscle (exercise causes tiny tears in muscles - which get repaired and end up building bigger muscle), so maybe your quads are just having the repair work done? You could also be dehydrated - or you could be lying funny on it every so often and causing some kind of strain?
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 06:32:37 PM »
Make sure you are drinking enough water, also potassium (bananas are a good source) and vitiman e may help.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

support