Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Starting to get ready  (Read 2154 times)

Offline Toria

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Starting to get ready
« on: July 04, 2008, 05:55:11 AM »
Well, My uni is planned for July 21 2008, Just a few weeks away. So far finding this wonderful place on the web has been the brightest ray of hope I have had since the accident happend.
Finding this group has let me have a sound and honest look at whats about to happen.
On this group's recomendation I bought the TKR book from Amazon and I recived it today. just from glancing through the book I looked at many things I had questions about.
Someone around here suggested keeping a journal of the process so you could judge how your doing.
That is a really good idea, in addition to knowing how your really doing, it gives you a sound, reliable source to talk to your Doctor too.
I have to admit, of the few surgerys I had, this is the biggest, most complicated one of all. I know I need it but, its still scary and very big.
 Best wishes to everyone, Vickie :)

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Starting to get ready
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 06:04:39 AM »
Toria,
 Welcome to the club, we the ones with the cool six inch long scars on our knees. The ones that need a card thats says we have metal in our bodies to get through airport security. The slow to get up off the floor and the ones that will try to avoid kneeling the rest of our lives. It's a great club to be in and your a member for life. The people on this site are great and will help you through when and if you need it.
 Good Luck and Welcome Aboard!
RoTTeN
Dec 4th 07 arthrosurface hemicap and polyurethane button LK
July 12th 07 arthroscope torn cartilage LK
feb 6th 07 3rd degree sprain MCL 2nd degree sprain ACL LK
Jan 87" bi-lateral release RK
Feb 86" arthroscope cartilage tear RK
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk

Offline Toria

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 04:15:30 AM »
Thank you R.kid
I hope you enjoy the 4th of July.

Vickie

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 04:27:39 AM »
Toria,
 Surgery is very serious. The worst part about the whole thing are the first few days out of surgery when pain blockers wear off. If you have someone that can stay ahead of the pain for you with the meds it will help big time. If you can build up your quad muscle before you go in this will help you after the surgery. You will learn like most of us that ice is your friend. Six months post op and I still ice from time to time. I had a artrosurface hemi cap system installed you can actually see a cartoon surgery on there site. The big difference between your surgery and mine is the size of the implants. Your I believe uses a metal piece that replaces the whole end of the femur mine just used a small metal button. The knee cap got a plastic button I think yours will too. Check out this web site (www.arthrosurface.com)
Take Care
RoTTeN
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk

Offline Toria

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 03:01:04 AM »

Rkid,
 I went over to look at your replacement knee part. Quite interesting, diffrent from what I am having.
I want to ask if you know of a site with simalar detail for the Uni com.Knee replacement? all I come up with is sites aimed at patients.
I thought I might share some of the details of what is going on in my knee area: Tore knee Cartilages, near complete cartilage loss, all ligaments damaged,  findings are most suggestive of a recurrent tear to the menisici, severe ACLtear with lose bodies apparent in the joint. and then there is alot of detail about osteoarthritis details which I won't go into for the sake of space.
I do have prior surgical recovery experence to lean on. I've had bi-level back surgery, a hysterectomy and a host of other surgeries.
 I have good people who will stay with me during recovery. My husband of 241/2 yrs. My best friend is staying for a week.  The visting nurse,the visting P.T person and even the visting lab person.is in town   I may have too much company and wonderful help which I am thankful for.
I apperciate the excersise suggestions quite a bit. I really understand the value of ice. I often use it for various pain, I have degentive disk issues including  spondilisic problems with my neck.
 The reason behind my multi-Dx's is I was a passinger in a plane crash in China. I've have been involved in other accidents as well including being left for dead after a bad accident that left me throwen into a ditch. Talk about being broken There wasn't much left of me.
MY knee was like a ticking time bomb. Just waiting for an accident in order to fall apart. So, when I had fall at the P.T. clinic It really did fall apart. It feels like my knee is floating in shifiting jello.
Best wishes always.

Offline dazlcm

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 09:18:01 PM »
Hi Vickie

I am 4 weeks post op, and I like yourself was very unsure of what to expect.  The only advice I would have for you is much the same as anybody elses, keep up with the pain medication and make sure you do exactly as the PT tells you.  I have improved my bend really well in 4 weeks and if it wasn't for my Husband being so strict with me would be back at work by now, tried driving today for the 1st time (was told not to for 6 weeks, as being in England we don't really go in for Automatic cars), it was a little painful but nothing I can't handle.  Hope everything goes well.

Lynne

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 11:08:28 PM »
Toria
 I haven't come across any sites for your knee parts. Most of the surgeries cuts are the same its just how they go about replacing the end of the femur. Everyone would agree that the first couple of days after surgery are the worst, during that time you will wonder why you put yourself through that much pain. The next bad part is getting your flex back. Mine came back rather fast about 16 days but my quad was slow to fire that also took about 16 days. Some people get that back in less then a week. Th e operation more then likely will not take all of your pain away but it should take most of it. Also there you will be limited in your activities and that all depends on your pain threshold. If I find a site I will post it. For now take care.
RoTTeN
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk

Offline Toria

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 05:40:49 AM »
[. Mine came back rather fast about 16 days but my quad was slow to fire that also took about 16 days. Some people get that back in less then a week. Th e operation more then likely will not take all of your pain away but it should take most of it. Also there you will be limited in your activities and that all depends on your pain threshold. If I find a site I will post it. For now take care.
RoTTeN
Thats about what I have heard just about every where. times vary depending apon how well in "shape" a person is, The best Timming I have heard of belongs to an Olympic Ice Skater who was back skating in a week!!!
Needless to say, I am not even a regluar past-the-time skater. maybe I'll take up the sport after I get my new knee.
I doubt it. Something though.  On Web M.D I found some info about the Uni com. so if your intrested you can look there. and you will find my surgery.