Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patellar Tendon Rupture  (Read 960 times)

Offline WADEAL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patellar Tendon Rupture
« on: February 26, 2008, 09:32:38 PM »
Hi,

I am about six months post op on a ruptured patellar tendon and wondered how I'm progressing against the norm (if there is such a state) with this injury.

The surgeon says this is a particularly rare injury (because it requires such intense force to snap what is a very thick tendon). He hasn't seen many, but seems to think it's going "okay". So I'd like to know from anyone with experience, who is a a bit further on in the recovery process or (hopefully totally cured) what they were like at this stage? 

I'm hobbling without crutches and have about 125 degrees range of movement in the knee and although the strength is coming back I am still struggling to do any leg extensions with weights without pain (and usually swelling the next day). I'm doing stationery bike on the lowest setting to increase the range of movement, plus a whole load of other exercises and they just make it sore. I'm getting stronger, but the wek inner quad is a problem.

What concerns me most is how much if anything I should be lifting on the leg extension machine and whether at this stage I should still be getting reactions after training as I am doing (I am getting pain rather than soreness and it stops me from training for a couple of days which is really frustrating)?

Also, I'm avoiding painkillers (pain is there to tell you to stop), but at what point does the need to use them tend to occur.

I suspect recovery will vary from case to case, but anyone else's experiences would be interesting as a yardstick - I don't know whether to be pleased or downhearted with my progress thus far, and whether I'll gain full range of movement and a normal feeling in the leg again.

It still feels like someone has the knee in stranglehold and I am having to concentrate to avoid limping, although I'm a million miles away from the sad case that I was for the first 8 weeks.

Thanks

WADEAL         

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
Re: Patellar Tendon Rupture
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 01:18:24 AM »
WADEAL

I am providing you the link to a thread discussing patellar tendon rupture. This thread has been running for a couple yrs , so you should find lots of info . Here it is :

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=8389.0

Good Luck  ;D

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline ctmac

• Regular Poster
  • ACL recon. 1992 /open patellar tendon repair 2007
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 10:56:23 PM »
Wadeal, sounds like your right on the money. I'm about a month behind you so it is good to hear your story. I am at about 120 ROM have to work very hard to walk without a limp.I still get swelling after workouts but not a lot of pain. I only do leg extensions with a 2lb ankle wieght.How much are you doing with the extension machine? this may be too much for it and what is causing the pain. what does your O.S. and or P.T. say about it? good luck and keep me informed as I was looking for someone like you who is a little ahead of me to use as a yard stick. Thanks ctmac

Offline WADEAL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 12:39:21 PM »
I'm getting on slightly better at the moment. Despite the pain, I took the decision to push things a little harder and the range of movement has increased following a bit of a plateau. It's painful, but it feels secure and so I'm happy to accept the pain for the gains.

The unwillingness of the inner quad to get back to work, means that leg extensions which should now be done with weights, are not. That's frustrating me the most.

I've seen the strength increase, but I still get soreness (though less swelling) after workouts. However, where I was having to take days off after PT, I don't have to now. I've done a little very light jogging around the gym as well. I'm probably not ready for it yet, but I was a keen runner and psychologically, even with a limp, running makes me feel more "normal".

I had the flu for about a week and did no physio for about a week and the leg started to feel more normal, so I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.       

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 07:13:07 PM »
Hi Wadeal

Click onto the above mentioned thread -  You will join a super bunch of guys and dolls who have suffered this very RARE injury.

I dont know of anybody who attained 100% recovery - bear in mind that you lose up to 20% ROM during surgery.

Best wishes
JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon