Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Synvisc-are there any side effects and did it work for you?  (Read 35785 times)

Offline darlp

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Synvisc-are there any side effects and did it work for you?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 12:26:38 PM »
I have to say honestly, I'm getting discouraged.  Everything went so well while I was having the injections.  I could walk, shop - I even stood up straighter!  And now, I feel worse than I did before the shots, although it is my understanding that there can be side effects for a while.
My ankles are so swollen, especially one of them - completely swollen to the point where it's almost twice the size of the other.  I have calf pain, back and joint pain - very, very  achy.  I have unbelievable itching and a rash that won't quit.... For the first time in my life I have hemmroids!

I called my OS and apparently I have side effects that he said would go away over time. He still insists I have to give it at least 6 weeks to get the full effect.

I'm very sad, very discouraged. 

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 02:09:43 PM »
I have to say honestly, I'm getting discouraged.  

Unfortunately, these shots often have that effect on people. You get all excited about getting some relief only to have your hopes dashed. I honestly think the placebo effect has more to do with them working for some people than anything else. They often don't work at all the second time around.

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 06:42:56 PM »
I just finished my first round of injetions, (August 18)  they were/are great so far.  I did have some side effects, After the first one I headed for the gym (didn't know I was not supposed to)  My leg was achy for about the first 4 days, and it felt kind of jelly like.  I also bruised at the injection site, and that was uncomfortable for a few days.  The second injection same side effects, this time after I had the injection I asked my Dr. about going to the gym, he told me to do a light workout, the third injection no side effects except bruising at injection site.  I'm very excited, I can stand and shop without pain in the knee, I can squat and do the leg extension machine at he gym.  I hoping to get a long run out of these injections.

Annette
1976 first dislocation 10 years old
1980 14 yrs old LR, MR, remove chip bone
1980-2005 numerous dislocations
March 2007 Proximal/distal realignment, chondroplasty
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc
Sept 2008 patellar tendon tendonitis
June 2009 hardware removal, LR, debriedment

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2008, 11:52:58 PM »
jathib,
I think I'm starting to see what you mean about the second series not working. I'm on my second series and I am not having the same great affects. Last time I noticed relief before the second shot. This time the first shot swelled my leg so much my ankle was swollen, my calf had cramps and was huge (I thought if I stuck it with a pin it would pop). I had pain for hours later on a scale from 0-10 a 7. My doc mentions I had a lot of scar tissue/bone spurs. I  thought maybe it was because of all the scar tissue and bone spurs that I had such a hard time.The next shot I got I had a slight fever (100.1) and felt sick to my stomach a few hours later, could be coincedence. But luckily no swelling or calf cramps. So I go for my next shot on Monday, if they doc allows, I'm going to mention the fever and stomach issue. My doc wasn't so keen on giving me the last shot because of the affects I got but I explained alittle discomfort for no pain is worth it. We'll see.

darlp
your side affects sound really bad. Way worse then mine. If not for my insistance my doc would have drained my knee and giving me a steroid injection. I think if you don't see any relief from your side affects you should discuss other options with your doc. It sounds like your going through a really horriable. I wish you luck and a speedy recovery from side affects.
dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008

Offline MRFITZ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 08:07:56 PM »
PLEASE HELP. AFTER THE 3RD SYNVISC SHOT IN MY "GOOD KNEE" I WAS CRIPPLED FOR 3 WKS. FINALLY THEY DRAINED IT AFTER 2 WKS (60CC) AND STEROID PACK- NO HELP DRAINED AGAIN THE NEXT WEEK (40 CC) AND A CORTISONE SHOT. DR SENT ME FOR AN MRI AND SAID THAT THERE WAS JUST A LITTLE ARTHRITIS AND SMALL TEAR IN MENISCUS ON RT SIDE OF KNEE. I HAD 1 GOOD WK AND THEN PAIN AGAIN. NOW HE SAYS WE NEED TO DO SURGERY. NO ONE WANTS TO EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED TO A KNEE THAT NEVER HAD A PROBLEM UNTIL 3RD INJECTION. HE DID GIVE ME THE 2ND ON A MONDAY AND THE 3RD THAT FRIDAY. I AM TORN AS TO WHETHER TO HAVE THE SURGERY OR NOT- I HAVE HEARD A LOT OF BAD STORIES.   THANKS

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 01:36:04 PM »
. NO ONE WANTS TO EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED TO A KNEE THAT NEVER HAD A PROBLEM UNTIL 3RD INJECTION. HE DID GIVE ME THE 2ND ON A MONDAY AND THE 3RD THAT FRIDAY. I AM TORN AS TO WHETHER TO HAVE THE SURGERY OR NOT- I HAVE HEARD A LOT OF BAD STORIES.   THANKS

Why in the world were you having shots in a "good knee" that never had problems? Makes no sense.

The shots are often useless and people end up having surgery anyway.

What bad stories are you talking about? You can always find someone that has a bad story, they tend to write more on web sites like this one. If you had looked you would have seen bad stories about synvisc injections, yet you proceeded to have shots in a "good knee". I'm really confused by your post.

Offline bavage

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Meniscectomy 8/07 TKR 7/08 MUA 10/08
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 10:57:58 PM »
I did not get any long term relief from these injections, only a few days. I feel they are completely worthless
Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon

Offline SmplySweet1021

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 07:42:28 PM »
Ohh geez, I'm going to get Synvisc injections next month in a last ditch effort to help my left knee. I already don't like needles and now I'm not really liking these Synvisc injections either.

I'm at the point where there is nothing left to do..injections to assist or to hold me over and then a TKR. The thing is I'm 23 yrs old.

I've already had Supartz injections and they did not work.  :-[

2005 - Blown PCL & LCL due to Riding Accident, Surgery to repair
2006 - New Surgeon due to Problems
2007 Scope & 2 non dissolving screws still in knee
Supartz, Synvisc, Cortisone injections- Didn't Work :-(
Grade 3 Osteoarthritis at 24 yrs old

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 02:52:44 AM »
I had orthovisc about a year ago, and it was great for about a month.  It was good enough for that short period of time that I paid out of pocket a few months later for a second round to get me through a ski trip.

I've given the injections to people for whom they've worked great...so they're out living their lives rather than being propped up typing on a bad knee site.

I think if you get 'em at the right time, these injections can be great.  I've seen it work plenty of times.  When it's a "last ditch effort" as is was for me, you're likely to not find that miracle.

~dig

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 06:15:57 PM »
I had SUpartz as a last ditch effort back in the late winter/spring '08. 5 shots which did nothing for me, unfortunately. I already had bad bone on bone arthritis in that knee and it was basically too late. However, I had a series of 3 SUpartz shots 2-3 years earlier (only 3 were approved that time) when my arthritis wasn't as bad and the shots still did nothing.
Caroline
Chronic low platelet count
Men. surgery, both knees 2003,2007,2008
R PKR Sept. 17, 2008 - Biomet Oxford Partial
LK-TKR 4/21/2010 Biomet Vanguard Signature Knee
Scar tissue issue next to TKR knee
March 2, 2011: PKR to be revised to a TKR

Offline CLEM58

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 01:24:10 AM »
I JUST HAD MY 4 x. every 6 months for 2 years. i am on my second shot ( i do both knees at the same time) last shoot was monday. monday night i could not walk. i am going to se the doctojavascript:void(0);r friday. right leg swelled up 3.5 inches biger then the left leg. i am new to this. i would like to know how to post. i am trying to find out if i should get the last shot.
any help would be great.javascrip :-Xt:void(0);

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 01:03:13 AM »
I had 2 series of the injections on my right knee. The first gave me great relief for about 6 months, the second only about 2 months. Then I had a PKR. When my left knee became as bad as the right I opted to skip the injections and had a PKR on that as well.
Connie

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 02:50:51 AM »
Given that Supartz did nothing for my right knee twice and I ended up with a PKR anyway, I told my OS that if my other knee ever gets that bad, I would be tempted to skip it but he said it would be worth a try because you never know!
Caroline
Chronic low platelet count
Men. surgery, both knees 2003,2007,2008
R PKR Sept. 17, 2008 - Biomet Oxford Partial
LK-TKR 4/21/2010 Biomet Vanguard Signature Knee
Scar tissue issue next to TKR knee
March 2, 2011: PKR to be revised to a TKR

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 03:33:35 AM »
When the pain gets greater the shots or cortizone will not work for you.

I had planned to get supartz in January but a little Pneumonia put that project off  until March.

i mean there is pain.. and there is pain..  Just depends how much pain you can take and how long you been working with your  OS to control the pain before the knee got too toasted.. 

Offline TX1106

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 02:11:41 AM »
Ive had 2 sets of Synvisc, ten total shots.  I think they work well for a few months.  I get mine every 6 months or so with some cortasone/lidocane (sp) in between.  I have noticed the first 3 injections dont seem to do anything but the 4th and 5th make the knee feel much better. 

support