Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Can any benefit be seen with stem cells? Help please!  (Read 2846 times)

Offline ktrent

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Can any benefit be seen with stem cells? Help please!
« on: June 09, 2013, 03:28:05 AM »
My 88 year old father has been experiencing severe right knee pain since last Sep. that seemed to come on suddenly. An MRI showed severe degeneration of the joint (bone on bone) along with meniscus and ACL tears.

He has had 3 prolotherapy injections with no benefit and the doctor suggested stopping them. He also had 3 prolozone injections again with no benefit and that doctor suggested stopping as well. He then had 3 PRP injections, and once again, no benefit - only more pain for a couple weeks after each injection. Now it seems the only option left is stem cells, as my father is not a candidate for surgery due to other health problems. The price is definitely scary: starting at $2,500 and up depending on which doctor in the area he goes to. The most expensive one is $5,000 and does not use guided imaging (fluroscopy, ultrasound) but the other dr. uses it and charges $4,000 but it seems to only be a hobby for him - only performing the injections once per week, as he is otherwise a "general practioner". There is another doctor closer who uses guided imaging and charges $2,500. None of them give any prognosis or have any information on stem cells working on someone with such severe joint issues.

Has anyone here had or know of anyone who had stem cell injections for severe bone on bone knee arthritis or for someone of this age? My father's worried that if he spends that much money and it doesn't work, that he will be out the money with no pain relief and having to have the surgery anyway even with the risks. Would the guided imaging be better than a "blind" injection into the joint as some doctors do?

Offline Kefu

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Can any benefit be seen with stem cells? Help please!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 01:09:50 AM »
Hey ktrent

Another option is to try growth hormone injections such as HGH, or testosterone, or IGF-1. Their is a whole thread here talking about their effectiveness. Plus their a lot cheaper than stem cells as well. Dr Alan Dunn in florida is one of the doctors that does HGH injection. His procedure is called IAGH. I have tried prolozone 6 times with only temporary symptomatic relief and I am also looking for an alternative treatment for my problem. Let us know how you decided to proceed, and the results of your choice. We are all trying to learn from each other

You can also follow my thread, and see my injury background and look at what I have tried at:
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=63201.0

support