Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Synvisc-are there any side effects and did it work for you?  (Read 35786 times)

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Synvisc-are there any side effects and did it work for you?
« on: February 25, 2008, 05:32:27 PM »
Hi,
 I was wondering if you have had these, if you got any relief from them? If so, how long were you pain free?  Are there any adverse side effects by having these injections?  Like weaking the cartilage in the knee or anything?  Thanks!
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline Robin M.

• Forum Faithful
Re: Synvisc-are there any side effects and did it work for you?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 12:51:54 AM »
Hi Casey,

I had the Synvisc injections prior to my Mosaicplasty. The injections helped with the knee stiffness but did nothing for the pain. According to my OS if successful the results can last 6 months to a year.  When I started having problems with my right knee, my OS didn't recommend the injections since they didn't help the left knee. I wasn't told there wasn't any serious reactions from them. You can have some tenderness and swelling at the injection site. You should avoid them if you have an allergy to eggs or chicken feathers. I was told that repeat injections possibly may not be as effective.

Robin
Lt. knee- 6/04 scope and chondroplasty of MFC,11/04 Synvisc injections, 11/05 mosaicplasty, 3/06 scope,LOA and MUA, 1/08 degeneration entire knee, 5/12/08 TKA, 7/21/08 MUA
Rt.knee- 10/06 scope,,plica removal-OA, 3/07 HTO, 9/09 hardware removal  12/7/09 TKA 1/10,3/10 MUA, 11/10 LOA,partial revision

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 02:03:09 AM »
I've had 2 shots and have 1 more to go this Thursday. All was great until yesterday. But today my once short lived "skinny" knee is not so skinny. And its sore! Dam it! I wonder if I did to much and if tomorrow will be better. I was so hopeful and still am. I'm thinking 30 minutes on the bike and 30 minutes on the treadmill was not smart. But thts why I opted for these shots so I could do that and more.
dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008

Offline caren

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • here we are together
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 06:33:18 AM »
Hi Casey i had both synvisxc and ortho visc i got relief shortly after the last shot with the synvisc abut the orth was another story but then they were trying to buy me time for tkr and that is why the ortho didnt work
i got several yrs of relief from the synvisc
good luck
caren
Caren

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 10:08:48 PM »
I didn't have any side effects, thank god. I have heard and read some bad ones. Sorry to hear you had some.
I had synvisc injections  14 weeks ago ( I think). I thankfully am not waking up in pain. That is one of the reasons I tried synvisc. Its horriable starting your day with pain and staying achey all day. As all of us can agree. lol.
I have recently, probably about 5 days ago started to feel the ache again. I'm not sure if I'm over doing it or did the synvisc run its course. I was really hoping to get the full 6 months or more out of it. I am very active!! and at times over do it. I know this. I am an over achiever who has to push the limits. I'm obstinent type. If someone says slow down or do less I do the complete opposite.
Does anyone know if you can get the injects before 6 months. Not that I am interested in getting injections every 3 month but I can't remember having it so good and would consider it. I would have to say about 12 years ago was the last time I remember being painfree. I really like the idea of not having surgery, I have put off surgery twice and now know that was a mistake. Now I wonder am I making a mistake being so active? I posted some of this in the spirtual sections as I am startng to get bummed out, not quiet depressed.
So all this chatter and I haven't helped you mcuh sorry casey. Knee issues really screw up your head. Have you tried Reiki? I know somepeople that have tried it. I'm not much help in explaining it so you might want to google it. Or maybe someone on her knows something about it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 11:47:38 PM by lady »

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 11:39:37 PM »
The shots didn't help me at all. The third was extremely painful. The most painful shot I've ever had.

Offline robs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 10:38:18 AM »
The shots weren't painful and I had no bad side effects. Without question my knee is better off. It's been two months. I'm hoping it doesn't wear off.

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 02:51:16 PM »
Rob,
I was wondering do you notice it still aches with bad weather. I have been keeping a journal and I have noticed that it will ache with bad weather. I started the journal because I have become so much more active that I wanted to see if the activity is what was cause the occasional ache. The ache is nothing compared to what I was feeling before synivisc! It is totaly managable and rarely do I need advil.

It is amazing how you get used to not feeling pain. I've noticed I'm less tolarent. I think a dull ache is more annoying to me now then the constent pain was before. What a baby I am now. lol.

Its funny you say you hope it doesn't wear off. I think the same thing. I have read on here that it is less affective as you go for more series. I am not looking forward to that.

Offline UpUrs

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 02:33:48 AM »
I had five Synvisc injections and on the 6th week, I had an injection of cortisone.  The shots did not work on me.  My range of motion did increase, but the pain, discomfort and swelling were still there.  The only side effect, that I noticed, was for up to two hours after each shot, I had a moderate head ache and was dizzy.  I was told the "benefits" of the injections usually last up to six month.  I knew before taking the shots, there was only a fifty per cent chance they would work.  Lucky me, I was one of the fifty it did not work on.
Left knee scope - June 1991
Left knee hyper extended left  2005
left knee sever knee sprain 2006
Right knee scope - October 2007
Left knee scope - December 2007
Left knee Synvisc injections April 2008

Offline CBM

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 12:48:44 AM »
The Synvisc injections worked GREAT for me, the first series gave me relief for an entire year.  Each series after that first year worked well, but the lasting effects were not as good as the first round.  I started with synvisc shots over 4 years ago.  the last set of injections did not help at all so  I  scheduled a  total knee replacement on tuesday june 24th.

One thing to remember is the synvisc injections can help with the pain, but it will  not improve the damage that has been done to the knee joints.

I had no negative side effects.

cindy
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:01:59 PM by CBM »

Offline tking

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 04:04:49 AM »
I had synvisc injections two years ago. I had an allergic reaction to it, my right knee ballooned and it was incredibly painful!! It was almost impossible to move my leg. The surgeon I was seeing at the time has used synvisc on many patients and I am still the only one to have a reaction to it . Hope that helps!

Trinity

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 01:08:48 AM »
3cguru
Sorry to hear of your experience with synvics. That sounds awful. I hope there is a way for you to find relief from your knee pain and from that terrible allergy.

I had 5 months of relief. I am waiting for the next series and hope I have the success I had with my first series. I have found that since the pain is coming back I am a bit cranky. I'm not going to say depressed, but....I am out of wack. My activity level since synvisc was off the charts.  I worked out 5 to 6 days a week. Walking 5 miles and taking a 1 hour boxing class all in one day. I was walking 3 days a week, biking 2 days a week, boxing 1 or 2 days a week, lifiting etc., to having a hard time walking up the stairs and standing on my feet. My family booked a vacation of hiking a whte river rafting in a few weeks because of my success and now I will be going without the benifit of the synvisc. I actualy think this is pretty ironic and funny. Murphys Law...lol

I was totaly living it up while I could. I knew it was going to end and wanted to do all the things I love as much as I could while I could. I had no idea that it was going to put me in this wacked state of mind. I think I wasn't prepared for it to wear off in only 5 mouths. I was expecting it to last 6 to 8 and looking forward to the 8 more than the 6.

It also seems as if I have less tolarence for the ache then I did before. I'm starting to consider should I do certain activities or hold off awhile. I really hate that I am doing that. It totaly has put my in a weird state.

Does anyone understand my physco feelings. I think I'm nuts.  :o

Offline darlp

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 11:56:23 AM »
It's funny how these injections work for some but not for others.  Some find it painful, some don't....

In my case, I just finished a set of 3 - I had both knees done at the same time.  The injections were not painful at all but I did discuss them at length with my OS and made sure he went in on the sides that were less damaged.

I'm happy to say I am much less pain stricken and walk much better.  It's not a cure for sure but it certainly helped me.  I just finished my last ones last week and I'm very hopeful I can last for some time before doing them again.

Very pleased with the result, and no side effects other than the next day discomfort.

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 01:48:23 AM »
OMG I started my second series of synvisc today and everything was fine until I started to drive home. The pain was so sudden and nothing I can explain. It has subsided some (Its been 4hours since the shot). I had such a great experience the first time with some ache after the 3rd shot.
I only got 5 months of relief but 5 great active months. If I get another 5 months I'll be happy but anything less I have to wonder if its worth it and if they will even give me the shots.
Good luck darlp. I hope you enjoy all things you weren't able to withouth synvics. I would suggest bike riding.

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 05:00:37 AM »
I had supartz injections.   I would not recommend biking a few miles a week after the injections.  ..  I got myself into a bit of trouble .. but I followed up with my OS and had a cortizone shot..  Now I am in a happy spot again and expect to be good for another 6 months.  Before my shots every rain storm with send me into tears with pain.    last week a hurricane and I was good. No weather pain. 

If you have bad pain after the injections . Ice is the best thing..     If your pain is great.. call up your OS and see what options he has for you to make you comfortable.

Lidocaine patches..  nice stuff.

Offline darlp

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 12:26:38 PM »
I have to say honestly, I'm getting discouraged.  Everything went so well while I was having the injections.  I could walk, shop - I even stood up straighter!  And now, I feel worse than I did before the shots, although it is my understanding that there can be side effects for a while.
My ankles are so swollen, especially one of them - completely swollen to the point where it's almost twice the size of the other.  I have calf pain, back and joint pain - very, very  achy.  I have unbelievable itching and a rash that won't quit.... For the first time in my life I have hemmroids!

I called my OS and apparently I have side effects that he said would go away over time. He still insists I have to give it at least 6 weeks to get the full effect.

I'm very sad, very discouraged. 

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 02:09:43 PM »
I have to say honestly, I'm getting discouraged.  

Unfortunately, these shots often have that effect on people. You get all excited about getting some relief only to have your hopes dashed. I honestly think the placebo effect has more to do with them working for some people than anything else. They often don't work at all the second time around.

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 06:42:56 PM »
I just finished my first round of injetions, (August 18)  they were/are great so far.  I did have some side effects, After the first one I headed for the gym (didn't know I was not supposed to)  My leg was achy for about the first 4 days, and it felt kind of jelly like.  I also bruised at the injection site, and that was uncomfortable for a few days.  The second injection same side effects, this time after I had the injection I asked my Dr. about going to the gym, he told me to do a light workout, the third injection no side effects except bruising at injection site.  I'm very excited, I can stand and shop without pain in the knee, I can squat and do the leg extension machine at he gym.  I hoping to get a long run out of these injections.

Annette
1976 first dislocation 10 years old
1980 14 yrs old LR, MR, remove chip bone
1980-2005 numerous dislocations
March 2007 Proximal/distal realignment, chondroplasty
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc
Sept 2008 patellar tendon tendonitis
June 2009 hardware removal, LR, debriedment

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2008, 11:52:58 PM »
jathib,
I think I'm starting to see what you mean about the second series not working. I'm on my second series and I am not having the same great affects. Last time I noticed relief before the second shot. This time the first shot swelled my leg so much my ankle was swollen, my calf had cramps and was huge (I thought if I stuck it with a pin it would pop). I had pain for hours later on a scale from 0-10 a 7. My doc mentions I had a lot of scar tissue/bone spurs. I  thought maybe it was because of all the scar tissue and bone spurs that I had such a hard time.The next shot I got I had a slight fever (100.1) and felt sick to my stomach a few hours later, could be coincedence. But luckily no swelling or calf cramps. So I go for my next shot on Monday, if they doc allows, I'm going to mention the fever and stomach issue. My doc wasn't so keen on giving me the last shot because of the affects I got but I explained alittle discomfort for no pain is worth it. We'll see.

darlp
your side affects sound really bad. Way worse then mine. If not for my insistance my doc would have drained my knee and giving me a steroid injection. I think if you don't see any relief from your side affects you should discuss other options with your doc. It sounds like your going through a really horriable. I wish you luck and a speedy recovery from side affects.

Offline MRFITZ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 08:07:56 PM »
PLEASE HELP. AFTER THE 3RD SYNVISC SHOT IN MY "GOOD KNEE" I WAS CRIPPLED FOR 3 WKS. FINALLY THEY DRAINED IT AFTER 2 WKS (60CC) AND STEROID PACK- NO HELP DRAINED AGAIN THE NEXT WEEK (40 CC) AND A CORTISONE SHOT. DR SENT ME FOR AN MRI AND SAID THAT THERE WAS JUST A LITTLE ARTHRITIS AND SMALL TEAR IN MENISCUS ON RT SIDE OF KNEE. I HAD 1 GOOD WK AND THEN PAIN AGAIN. NOW HE SAYS WE NEED TO DO SURGERY. NO ONE WANTS TO EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED TO A KNEE THAT NEVER HAD A PROBLEM UNTIL 3RD INJECTION. HE DID GIVE ME THE 2ND ON A MONDAY AND THE 3RD THAT FRIDAY. I AM TORN AS TO WHETHER TO HAVE THE SURGERY OR NOT- I HAVE HEARD A LOT OF BAD STORIES.   THANKS

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 01:36:04 PM »
. NO ONE WANTS TO EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED TO A KNEE THAT NEVER HAD A PROBLEM UNTIL 3RD INJECTION. HE DID GIVE ME THE 2ND ON A MONDAY AND THE 3RD THAT FRIDAY. I AM TORN AS TO WHETHER TO HAVE THE SURGERY OR NOT- I HAVE HEARD A LOT OF BAD STORIES.   THANKS

Why in the world were you having shots in a "good knee" that never had problems? Makes no sense.

The shots are often useless and people end up having surgery anyway.

What bad stories are you talking about? You can always find someone that has a bad story, they tend to write more on web sites like this one. If you had looked you would have seen bad stories about synvisc injections, yet you proceeded to have shots in a "good knee". I'm really confused by your post.

Offline bavage

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Meniscectomy 8/07 TKR 7/08 MUA 10/08
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 10:57:58 PM »
I did not get any long term relief from these injections, only a few days. I feel they are completely worthless
Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon

Offline SmplySweet1021

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 07:42:28 PM »
Ohh geez, I'm going to get Synvisc injections next month in a last ditch effort to help my left knee. I already don't like needles and now I'm not really liking these Synvisc injections either.

I'm at the point where there is nothing left to do..injections to assist or to hold me over and then a TKR. The thing is I'm 23 yrs old.

I've already had Supartz injections and they did not work.  :-[

2005 - Blown PCL & LCL due to Riding Accident, Surgery to repair
2006 - New Surgeon due to Problems
2007 Scope & 2 non dissolving screws still in knee
Supartz, Synvisc, Cortisone injections- Didn't Work :-(
Grade 3 Osteoarthritis at 24 yrs old

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 02:52:44 AM »
I had orthovisc about a year ago, and it was great for about a month.  It was good enough for that short period of time that I paid out of pocket a few months later for a second round to get me through a ski trip.

I've given the injections to people for whom they've worked great...so they're out living their lives rather than being propped up typing on a bad knee site.

I think if you get 'em at the right time, these injections can be great.  I've seen it work plenty of times.  When it's a "last ditch effort" as is was for me, you're likely to not find that miracle.

~dig

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 06:15:57 PM »
I had SUpartz as a last ditch effort back in the late winter/spring '08. 5 shots which did nothing for me, unfortunately. I already had bad bone on bone arthritis in that knee and it was basically too late. However, I had a series of 3 SUpartz shots 2-3 years earlier (only 3 were approved that time) when my arthritis wasn't as bad and the shots still did nothing.
Caroline
Chronic low platelet count
Men. surgery, both knees 2003,2007,2008
R PKR Sept. 17, 2008 - Biomet Oxford Partial
LK-TKR 4/21/2010 Biomet Vanguard Signature Knee
Scar tissue issue next to TKR knee
March 2, 2011: PKR to be revised to a TKR

Offline CLEM58

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 01:24:10 AM »
I JUST HAD MY 4 x. every 6 months for 2 years. i am on my second shot ( i do both knees at the same time) last shoot was monday. monday night i could not walk. i am going to se the doctojavascript:void(0);r friday. right leg swelled up 3.5 inches biger then the left leg. i am new to this. i would like to know how to post. i am trying to find out if i should get the last shot.
any help would be great.javascrip :-Xt:void(0);

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 01:03:13 AM »
I had 2 series of the injections on my right knee. The first gave me great relief for about 6 months, the second only about 2 months. Then I had a PKR. When my left knee became as bad as the right I opted to skip the injections and had a PKR on that as well.
Connie

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 02:50:51 AM »
Given that Supartz did nothing for my right knee twice and I ended up with a PKR anyway, I told my OS that if my other knee ever gets that bad, I would be tempted to skip it but he said it would be worth a try because you never know!
Caroline
Chronic low platelet count
Men. surgery, both knees 2003,2007,2008
R PKR Sept. 17, 2008 - Biomet Oxford Partial
LK-TKR 4/21/2010 Biomet Vanguard Signature Knee
Scar tissue issue next to TKR knee
March 2, 2011: PKR to be revised to a TKR

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 03:33:35 AM »
When the pain gets greater the shots or cortizone will not work for you.

I had planned to get supartz in January but a little Pneumonia put that project off  until March.

i mean there is pain.. and there is pain..  Just depends how much pain you can take and how long you been working with your  OS to control the pain before the knee got too toasted.. 

Offline TX1106

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 02:11:41 AM »
Ive had 2 sets of Synvisc, ten total shots.  I think they work well for a few months.  I get mine every 6 months or so with some cortasone/lidocane (sp) in between.  I have noticed the first 3 injections dont seem to do anything but the 4th and 5th make the knee feel much better. 

Offline Lea50

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2009, 07:28:57 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had 1 synvisc and 1 orthvisc injection.  Neither worked.  Very bad reactions.  Did not have the 3rd.  I have had continued weakness in my leg, quad muscle and knee since the injections.  I was wondering if anyone has experienced this?  I just realized today I've had this and its been getting worse since the injections.  Any thoughts??? 

Thanks,  Lea

I reposted this here since I am now scared to death that I had these injections.  I just read the post from 3cdgur and read all the information.  GROSS!!  I thought I did research before I got the injection, but I didn't find any of this....... :'(  I am concered about this muscle weakness I am experiencing. 

Has this happend to anyone else?  Thank god I didn't get the third!  I wish I knew all this I would never have had these injections.

Thanks to everyone,

Lea
Injury 4/08 left knee
10/20/09 PFJR, LR
6/25/10 LOA, Synovectomy , MUA
7/7/10 Cellulitis
7/26/10 Staph infection PICC Line IV antibiotics-3 months
8/4/10 Debridement MR LR and Synovectomy
12/10 Allergy Methyl Methacrylate Chemical in Bone cement
3/8/11 Remove PFJR/Cement less TKR with TTO

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2009, 07:50:12 PM »
I do have some leg weakness and started PT this week.I was very (crazy) active while I was pain free. I had to do all that I could before I couldn't. It was strange thinking like that but it was so nice to do the things I love to do more and pain free.

If I had not had the most wonderful 5 months with synvisc I would not go for orthovics, but things were so great. I can't not try again. That being said this is my 3rd try with Hylan injections but this time I'm switching brands. If this doesn't work then I will never try them again.

The post by 3cdgur was informative but I think we need to put into prespective that taking a nsaid is also not okay to take daily, or medications such as celebrax. I can't justify talking something long term to help my knee but hurt my liver/kindeys. I am in the process of trying to find more info such as the info 3cdgur found. And I plan on discussing the info with my doctor. The good thing about my doc and his PA, is, they prefer less evasive treatments before anything else.

It was good of 3cdgur to post the info and I will be looking into it further. I thought I did enough the 1st time but clearly as you I did not.

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2009, 03:17:18 PM »
3cdguru,
I agree that many Americans want the quick fix and as of lately I want an AX! howeverI am not 1 of those Americans.  I have for many years done my best to not go for the quick fix. Infact at 1 point I hald off a scope for about 10 years as I felt it was a quick fix that would only deteriate my knee more. I am again holding off and trying othere avenues before I have any type of metal or plastic in my knee. Knee injury at 15, 10 years later witha  defect and know I am 38 with some awful OA pain. I feel I have done anything but jump at fixes. Exercise and stenght have been my main fix as keeping my weight down and good quad stenght are very important with knee injurys. But I'm past just that now.
I am alergic to asprin which can be fatal if I take some meds that say "may contain". Also I had liver and kidney failure while i was  pregnent with my daughter so meds that say may cause damage to those organs kinda make me nervous. Thankfully my liver and kidney issue was better a month after delivery but I am still wary.
I was never big into advil/aleve probably because of the asprin alergy but I have to say I have given in in the last few years due to some serious pain. I am a very active person. I am on my feet for 6 to 7 hours with preschoolers, I coaching soccer (and I'm not just a sideline coach), I also set up the fields every Saturday moving goals to locations (I am 1 of the VP's of the league and this is a duty of mine), I was an avid hiker but have recently stopped and am biking 5 to 6 days a weekinstead as well as strenght training 4x a week. I prefer not to stop any of these activites! I will do my best to fight through this but I'm sorry to say that I need some help.
As far as dietery changes I am a very healthy eater I prefer to eat founds rich in vitamins rather than take them so I eat. I have had a form of acupunture and not sure why but I had no benifit at all and very costly as I had to pay out of pocket.
I do apprecitate your post and your thougths. I have searched for more info but have found nothing exept what you have posted here. I am going to speak to my doc about this and I thank you for the heads up. I hope you understand this is not new to me. I don't know why the OA is affecting me so badly right now, ok well I do but I dont' know why I can't tolerate it. I have endured much more than this. I think it is the constent all day pain that is making me very wary and unable to deal anymore. I am sure my life style does not help, but to give it up totaly would be to give up on who I am.
I am sure many of us can say that OA does more than just killing knees.

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
I will be having my third year.. of supartz in my left knee.. on Wednesday  .  If the product did not work for me I would stop it.   To me personally it is a better option than  drilling of bone bits.  Putting some kind of cement  in your bone stock. and hammering and sawing metal bits in.     Dont get me wrong.. I have a lovely knee replacement in my right knee.   

The product is made from Rooster comb.  You know that skin flap on top of the head of a rooster.  They also put this stuff in over the counter face creams and inject it into lips..    and for the time period that someone can be on it. ..   Hey your knee is pretty crap anyway.. your prob on your way to a knee replacement in the next few years.     

If your leg feels weak.  Try aqua therapy.   Muscles can atropy pretty darn fast..    Just don't get discouraged by the zealots who try to place more doubt on you.. Your knee is probally toast anyway and the doctor is trying to buy a little time before he has to chop your body parts up. stick metal in your skelaton.. and open you up to having weaker legs .. since any type of high impact sport would be out of the question..   Falling on your implant .. Not a  pretty thing..  feels like you get hit with a frying pan. 

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2009, 07:10:54 PM »
3cdguru, I discussed synvics with a friend who did own a pharmacy and now is a specialist in fertility. Anyways he has done some checking and said that he has not found evidence that Synvics contains or is linked with formaldehyde.

Plumb thanks for the advice. Your too funny.....chop up my leg...lol Its been chopped up but no metal yet. lol

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2009, 11:37:52 PM »
So my friend kept looking into Synvics and just emailed me that she did find that formaldhyde is used as a perservative and only trace amounts. She said there Formaldhyde is used in many things that we don't even realize. She also said that with the amount the only reason anyone would have a problem is if they are allergic or if they smoke.  She did say she is still searching to see if formaldhyde is in orthovics and believes it is not from her search.

The company I am getting orthovisc is having the pharmacist call me back to let me know if it is used in their project, the nurse I spoke with said to the best of her knowldge no, but would rather the pharmacist let me know because she was not sure.

I really do appreciate your info 3cdguru, I hope orthorvisc will be a better choice for me. Thanks again. Yes pain is guiding my decisions and my limited ability which is very new to me and depressing.

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2009, 03:05:42 AM »
I just had my first of five shots today of supartz,  I also had my cortizone shot today.    So by the time I got back to work I was sore and by the time I got home I was uncomfortable.   So I had a loracet.  The pain is now back down.   I did notice what the cortizone did to my sugar levels today.  I was at 152 this morning and after the cortizone I was up over 300. 

So I was chitty chatting with my OS who just came back from Vegas.  The orthopedic doctors have there pow wow each year..   This year the focus was more on Gender hips he said.  Nothing special with knees.  He did say that he sees that total knee replacements will be outpatient in the near future.  I was in the hospital three days with my total replacement of my right knee two years ago.   So the first question out of my mouth was pain control... pain control pain control.   

Than we talked about the comment my GP made about my  left knee.  and how she felt that it should be done .. vs my OS sayingthat doing patch up's cortizone at three month intervals is working for me and while I suck it up at night and after shopping..   I am a pro at sucking it up and dealing what I have right now..    Sure i have my up's and downs and hold back on walking up a storm.   But keeing your natural knee is important and there are risks that are unknown with each replacement.    I mean who can forsee who will have a smooth replacement and who will have an incredible bumpy road.

We also talked about my right knee total replacement and how it is doing as good as can be..  Had a few pinchy moments but nothing I could not handle .. 

I found this today while looking for the doctors office phone number..It is a few snaps of what the office looks like..  No matter how fancy pants it looks the sofa is comfy

http://jamiebush.com/commercial/CurrentElite1.htm

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2009, 12:18:54 PM »
Are you sure that is your doctors office and not a lounge?

Thats alot of shots! And I had no idea tht cortizone ups your sugar levels. Never would have thougth of that.

monroesoilman

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2009, 11:21:08 PM »
I've had my three shots finished two weeks ago and am generally not limping on level ground.....so that's improvement. No problem other than some pain for the first 4-5 days after the injections.
My co-worker (with a lot less arthritic damage to knees) gets the injections and then is able to exercise like crazy (2 hours a day) for the last two years.
I think my OA is too far advanced.

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2009, 12:07:25 PM »
Your OA may be more painful for you than the next person.   I have had Supartz shorts for three years now on my left knee.   Sometimes it is not about excercising like mad but being able to move and do things.    Go grocery shopping.. do laundry..    These shots are not a magic cure.. but a bandaid to help you do basic stuff.  prior to getting a TKR.    If you look at a few of the horror story diary's and think that a TKR is easy if something goes wrong..  No doctor wants to go in prematurely and have you suffer like that if they can prevent it with a cortizone shot or Bird gibbet stuff and some pain killers..   It is not like your removing a small tooth but a large area of bone that in later years may make you wheel chair bound if not treated in the most effective manner.

The pain of OA is horrible.     Ice is your friend. 

Offline Lea50

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2009, 03:21:32 PM »
Thanks for the web site.  Very interesting.  I'll never get it again.  I had a bad reaction.  never got the third injection.

Lee
Injury 4/08 left knee
10/20/09 PFJR, LR
6/25/10 LOA, Synovectomy , MUA
7/7/10 Cellulitis
7/26/10 Staph infection PICC Line IV antibiotics-3 months
8/4/10 Debridement MR LR and Synovectomy
12/10 Allergy Methyl Methacrylate Chemical in Bone cement
3/8/11 Remove PFJR/Cement less TKR with TTO

Offline Kefu

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2013, 01:21:39 AM »
Would synvisc or hyaluronic acid injections be effective for someone with chondromalacia patella or anterior knee pain? Has anyone had any experience with this.

Heres my thread where I have written some background on my injury and everything I have tried and nothing seems to help. I am only 23!:
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=63201.0

support