Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 4 days post op-lateral menisectomy and scope  (Read 2691 times)

Offline JoJodancer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
4 days post op-lateral menisectomy and scope
« on: February 25, 2008, 02:19:33 PM »
Hey all,

I am 4 days post op from having a partial (over 50%) lateral menisectomy and scope. I am quite frustrated as I seriously thought this was a minor surgery and I would up and about my now. I see the doc on Wed (6 days post op) for follow up etc. Think I will be doing PT (not sure). I still get pain weight bearing and I have been trying to walk without crutches  as much as possible to help strenghten leg, but this is sucking big time . When I do use crutches I am still weight bearing, just using one crutch for balance. My hip in hurting more than my knee I think . The Tylenol 3 make me pretty sick so I am limiting this to only 1/2 pills a couple of times a day. When leg resting I have no pain, just when I move it or weight bear ....anyone know if this is normal?? I really thought I would be back to work by now..my surgeon did say I would need 4 weeks off (my job physical- I am an OT) but I thought he was erring on side of caution...man...any advice or discussion on previous experience would be great
Thanks in advance

Offline guam

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 3
  • I hate knee problems
    • for anything fokai
Re: 4 days post op-lateral menisectomy and scope
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 04:40:28 AM »
I had a partial lateral menisectomy also.  They pulled out less than 20%.  Doc told me I'd be surfing within a week and walking without a limp in 3 weeks.  It took me 2 months to get surfing and 3 months to walk without a limp.  Everyone heals at their own rate, so just listen to your body.  It's been 4.5 months post-op and I still can't move at a jogging pace.
the main reason I didn't heal the way I thought I would was quad atrophy.  My quads are much better than the first few weeks after surgery, but still working at about only 50-60%.  I'm slowly getting it stronger.  Lots of biking and swimming.  When I was first walking without one crutch (about 2 weeks after surgery), my hip, my outer thigh, and my calf were in constant pain.  Once you get your quads firing, this should go away.  Other parts of your leg are probably doing the work your quad should be doing.
the best thing you can do for exercise for now is swimming, then you can work your way up to the stationary bike, then just listen to your body for anything more.
And you're right about weight bearing.  It was the worst.  I'm still in slight pain if I put too much weight, but  it does get better.  Hopefully, you heal better than I do.
9/2007: diagnosis: discoid lat. meniscus with tear-rk
10/2007: part. lat. menisectomy-rk.- failure
5/2008: fix previous surgery
2/2010: diagnosed with discoid lat. meniscus with tear-lk
5/2010: partial lat. meniscectomy-lk
11/2011: scope on rt. knee. diagnosis: varus knee
12/2011: HTO

support